Health Problems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Doctor doubled my neurontin dosage after I had a seizure couple of days ago. Said he might triple it. I've never had any side effects so far. I took it before due to my hands which shortly after all this started felt like my skin was stretching too tight. I can tell with the upped dosage my hands feel kinda numbish. Hopefully it adjust as I take it for a few days.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I jokingly asked in screenshots if anyone had had Rhabdo. That’s because I do right now. I’m recovering. My CK peaked about 1000. After 3L of IV fluids and copious amounts of drinking water the past two days I’m at 500. My kidneys showed a slight bump in performance but they’re back. Liver is not bad. Not great. Still going up but prognosis is good.

The worst part is the random 100-101F fevers I keep getting. All day long felt great. Bam. 100F fever. Just enough to make you feel like shit and some chill.

other than water it’s been Tylenol. I took some muscle relaxers earlier and probably will to sleep. I will say I told my wife the day I was taken to the hospital that I was worried I might be dying with only a slight hint of black humor. 26 hour wait for a hospital bed. So they sent me home after 3L of IV with my wife since she’s an RN.

easily the worst experience of my life so far with a disease.
Well holy shit did this go off the rails. So the Rhabdo cleared about 4 days. Liver AST was still a little elevated but the CK was down. Here’s the kicker. I’ve been running 103-104F temps since. I can bring it down with Tylenol. So I’m back to doc multiple times. Even back to an ER. My immune system is nuts. WBC count is at one point triple normal. Mainly neutrophils so they chase a bacterial infection. Same time they test me for everything. Even things that would require some serious fucking explaining for how I got it. Negative. They do a full abdomen CT to look for a pocket of infection. Negative.

My platelets and RBC are low so there’s some brief discussion of leukemia. I’m like what in the fuck. I was the pillar of health three weeks prior. Running 12-16 miles per week and lifting 3-4 times per week. Eating balanced meals. Just really great shape for a 43 year old.

Finally, blood work goes to normal except WBC. Still high. I have a serious reaction to the CT contast. So doc says fuck it and hits me with a week of prednisone. Clear it up. More lab tests. So now it’s looking like I have some sort of fucking acute rheumatoid disease. I’m in to see a rheumatologist. If I skip steroids, I rub a continuous 103F fever and my jaw won’t work right.

Upshot is life comes at you really fucking fast.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am finding that my allergies are getting worse. Before I moved to Texas I never had allergies. But every year I just get it worse and worse. Yesterday was probably the worse I ever had it. I think I sneezed 500 times.

I've been using over the counter stuff like Alavert but I have to pretty much take it any time I leave my house or its itchy nose sneeze city hay fever all god damn day.

I'm at the point where I think I need something better. What kind of allergy docs/shit do they do out there?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well holy shit did this go off the rails. So the Rhabdo cleared about 4 days. Liver AST was still a little elevated but the CK was down. Here’s the kicker. I’ve been running 103-104F temps since. I can bring it down with Tylenol. So I’m back to doc multiple times. Even back to an ER. My immune system is nuts. WBC count is at one point triple normal. Mainly neutrophils so they chase a bacterial infection. Same time they test me for everything. Even things that would require some serious fucking explaining for how I got it. Negative. They do a full abdomen CT to look for a pocket of infection. Negative.

My platelets and RBC are low so there’s some brief discussion of leukemia. I’m like what in the fuck. I was the pillar of health three weeks prior. Running 12-16 miles per week and lifting 3-4 times per week. Eating balanced meals. Just really great shape for a 43 year old.

Finally, blood work goes to normal except WBC. Still high. I have a serious reaction to the CT contast. So doc says fuck it and hits me with a week of prednisone. Clear it up. More lab tests. So now it’s looking like I have some sort of fucking acute rheumatoid disease. I’m in to see a rheumatologist. If I skip steroids, I rub a continuous 103F fever and my jaw won’t work right.

Upshot is life comes at you really fucking fast.
Leukemia really doesn't give any fucks whether you are a pillar of health or not. No form of cancer does. Glad that's not it.

• 1Like

Caeden

I am finding that my allergies are getting worse. Before I moved to Texas I never had allergies. But every year I just get it worse and worse. Yesterday was probably the worse I ever had it. I think I sneezed 500 times.

I've been using over the counter stuff like Alavert but I have to pretty much take it any time I leave my house or its itchy nose sneeze city hay fever all god damn day.

I'm at the point where I think I need something better. What kind of allergy docs/shit do they do out there?
Some swear by the shots. I dunno. Didn’t feel it did shit for mine.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Some swear by the shots. I dunno. Didn’t feel it did shit for mine.
I have a nephew with pretty strong grass allergies. I’m not sure the exact mes, but the shot works for him through soccer season at least.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you’re not taking the Alavert every morning, start with that. Maybe try real Claritin instead of the dissolvable. Try adding Nasacort morning/night. If that’s still not working after a week, try adding a Zyrtec at night.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you’re not taking the Alavert every morning, start with that. Maybe try real Claritin instead of the dissolvable. Try adding Nasacort morning/night. If that’s still not working after a week, try adding a Zyrtec at night.
One caveat here is that I am extremely sensitive to the drowsy stuff. Like everytime I take it I coma for 15 hours. I use it on flights to just sleep through them its so effective.

• 1Solidarity

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One caveat here is that I am extremely sensitive to the drowsy stuff. Like everytime I take it I coma for 15 hours. I use it on flights to just sleep through them its so effective.

It’s probably best to try and avoid Zyrtec and Xyzal then. I’m not particularly sensitive to medications, but Xyzal is strong enough that it turns me into a zombie after a few days.

If the Claritin and Nasacort on a consistent schedule isn’t working, you can add Allegra in the morning and move Claritin to bedtime. None of those should give you any issues.

Gurgeh

Have you tried quercetin ? Works very well for my wife's allergies. No side effect afaik.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Live in the cedar area? Waco, Austin, San Antonio, the hill country. Known people that lived there all their life and one day it overwhelmed them and they had to move due to the cedar allergy.

• 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Hopefully this helps someone else, had sudden extreme vertigo yesterday and went through hell the last 24 hours.

Turns out I had BPPV (where some little crystal gets in a canal and moves the fluids around even though your head is stationary) Following the instructions in this video helped diagnose and ultimately pick the correct technique to resolve it:

Dix Hallpike Maneuver

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hopefully this helps someone else, had sudden extreme vertigo yesterday and went through hell the last 24 hours.

Turns out I had BPPV (where some little crystal gets in a canal and moves the fluids around even though your head is stationary) Following the instructions in this video helped diagnose and ultimately pick the correct technique to resolve it:

Dix Hallpike Maneuver
You put Dix in your ear?

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I fixed my ear with a Dix manuever, and I'd do it again!
The More You Know Love GIF

Epley. Dix is the diagnostic maneuver.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Epley. Dix is the diagnostic maneuver.
Ackchyually, based on the lateral nystagmus I presented, I had to use the Lempert Manuever, not the Epley. But yes, you are correct, the Dix was just for diagnosis. Lempert just didn't have the same ring to the bad joke I was going for.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went to Gringo's Tacos in NYC (well, the Jersey City one). Got their world famous "Reaper Taco"

Took literally one bite of it and was done. And I'm somewhat of an ultra-spicy food connoisseur. I keep a stock of Blair's Mega Death at home to dab on burgers, for crying out loud.

Well, this one bite absolutely obliterated me. Afterwards while driving around NYC I developed crippling stomach pains and wasn't sure if I was going to ruin my car. Being stuck in traffic and feeling like you desperately need to vomit and shit at the same time is a real sobering experience. Eventually stopped at a public restroom and...didn't go, just laid down on the hood and took deep breaths until the nausea subsided somewhat. Got some pepto and that helped.

Had a persistent stomach-ache for about 12 hours. Never got as bad as it did in the initial 20 minutes after I left and was driving around. Legit thought I was going to end up in the hospital, felt like I'd been stabbed in the solarplexus area.

Un-fucking-real. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had eaten the entire two taco set. Wasn't even worth trying a bite of. I think something seriously bad happened for a little while there, felt like I was poisoned. All I can say is, be careful what you mess with.

Kiki

Log Wizard
reaper powder is not fun and you are buying habenero sauce, It's not even close to a carolina reaper. We get reaper jerky down here, that shit rocks.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Doc prescribed me Abilify and Seroquel because of my raging ADHD and bouts of intermittently finding it hard to get things done. Previously got Adderall and stopped taking it because it gave me so much goddamn energy that it was straight-up impossible to sleep for 2-3 days. And that's on a 10MG dose because zero tolerance.

I haven't taken either of the two new ones yet.

Isn't Seroquel generally regarded as awful and something to be avoided?

What about Abilify, any positive reviews of that one?