Health Problems

iannis

Musty Nester
Probably just a cyst. It seems like whenever a woman complains about one of her girl parts hurting -- yep, it's a cyst.

Not that I know jack shit about it. Just you hear "ovarian cyst" so damn often. Waaaaaay more often than the other nasty stuff that could cause girlparts to hurt.

(The really scary stuff doesn't usually hurt.)

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah prolly just cyst. Wife gets them semi regularly and they hurt like a motherfucker

lindz

#DDs
Hoping that it is just a functional cyst, though because of the time during my cycle it has happened and because I am on birth control pills, it is strange.

I'm probably freaked out for nothing because I know ovarian cysts can be pretty minor and common. I've just never experienced this before so when whatever it is progressed from pain only during sex to constant discomfort and nausea, I got a little anxious.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My wife was getting them, they even wanted to remove an ovary. We got a second opinion, I got cut and wife went off pill and hasn't had once since. About four years now.

W

Wrathcaster

I was just going to say.... isn't that illegal?
I was mistaken.

I took the hospital's billing and insurance liaison's word for it, as well as his word for it, without checking for myself.

It was covered. I thought the same of pre-existing conditions under the Obamacare, but listened to what he was telling me. At the time I wasn't really thinking about disputing him.

It didn't end up mattering. He's dead now. Didn't make it to the round of trials he'd need to go through to get his transplant. Lung transplant requirements seem to be pretty brutal. 600ft in under 6 minutes was what they wanted him to do. He never even made it til that test. I guess their method of weeding out weak candidates works fairly well. Can't fault them on that.

As a side note, if you've got a close relative who's died rapidly of pneumonia, especially around the age of 50, you might want to ask some questions about pulmonary fibrosis, or at least make sure they've had X-rays done. Ask some pointed questions about yourself as well.

Turns out the answers are things you probably don't want to hear when you're fairly young, but better than hearing when you're old enough to die within a month of knowing you've got a problem with it.

Goddamn. Shit sucks.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
No. Type 2 doesn't require insulin unless you get pretty bad. I was diagnosed around 5 years ago and try to keep everything in check.

The big thing for me that spikes my blood sugar is carbs. Sugar and carbs go hand-in-hand, but more often than not if something is higher in carbs it affects me very negatively.

My father has been type 2 for around 20 years and is only his regular meds and doesn't need insulin. His blood sugar stays around 90-120 on average too (better than me).
Well, I hope you are right about the insulin, but the diabetes educator told me today that's probably what's coming for me. I see the endocrinologist at the ungodly hour of 8am tomorrow.

My blood sugar today was over 9000! (409). What the fuck? I've been basically doing the same schtick for the past 4 years, low dose of glimeperide (sp?) and my blood sugar stayed around 120-160. At least as far as I know, because I hadn't been testing every day. Now it's ballooned up, and I'm kind of freaked out.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Still freaked out, and need to vent.

My blood sugar is still fucking crazy, the endo Doc appt. didn't happen because the GD insurance referral didn't show up.

That staph infection in my eye is the likely cause of the sugar spike, and with the sugar spike, my heart has been in atrial fibrillation since June 1 AGAIN, and I went to the cardio doc today, and he's going to leave me in this very fucked up state until next Friday. Until then I'm on some fucking med in large doses to lower my heart rhythm. I feel like fucking dog shit.

And I found out my pacemaker shocked me three times in the last month, and I don't remember feeling anything out of the ordinary and it's supposed to feel like a donkey kicking you in the chest when it goes off. WTF?

Started my first dose of insulin last night, blood sugar still is crazy high.

I'm fucked, bros. If my body craps out on me, my wife has the phone number to someone here on the board, and she'll call him when I kick that big bucket.

I'm going to go eat a shit-ton of garlic.

Oldbased

> Than U
I don't have any advice on it but please do be careful.
I had a friend who was 24 way back when and died from a diabetic coma when he never knew he had any blood sugar issues to begin with.
He had flu like symptoms and was dead 2 days later swollen up to 2x normal body size with a blood sugar level of like 3600. He was at 1000 when he got taken to the hospital so obviously they was unable to stop it.

Stay strong Gravy and don't be passive on it, if you feel in danger or like shit, go to the ER regardless.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Still freaked out, and need to vent.

My blood sugar is still fucking crazy, the endo Doc appt. didn't happen because the GD insurance referral didn't show up.

That staph infection in my eye is the likely cause of the sugar spike, and with the sugar spike, my heart has been in atrial fibrillation since June 1 AGAIN, and I went to the cardio doc today, and he's going to leave me in this very fucked up state until next Friday. Until then I'm on some fucking med in large doses to lower my heart rhythm. I feel like fucking dog shit.

And I found out my pacemaker shocked me three times in the last month, and I don't remember feeling anything out of the ordinary and it's supposed to feel like a donkey kicking you in the chest when it goes off. WTF?

Started my first dose of insulin last night, blood sugar still is crazy high.

I'm fucked, bros. If my body craps out on me, my wife has the phone number to someone here on the board, and she'll call him when I kick that big bucket.

I'm going to go eat a shit-ton of garlic.
Been a diabetic for 38 years and an infection will do it every time. I get a sinus infecton nearly yearly. But just to put your blood sugar into perspective. I had to have mass steroid infusions 5 days in a row. They debated if it would be too much on my blood sugar. Dr. said the alternative was much worse so he adviced me to stay ahead of it with insulin and stay on top of checking my blood sugar but don't stop the steroid infusion unless it broke 1000.

Remember, high blood sugar kills you in the run (within reason) and low blood sugar kills you in the short term. Type 1 and in 38 years I've only broke 500 once, and either I got a bad bottle of insult or just totally skipped an injection that day. My best friend worked in a level 1 trauma unit as a nurse in New Orleans for a long time and he would tell me about all the drunks that came in during mardi gras with incredibly high blood sugar. He would ask me if I ever go that high. Personally the longer you have it the better you are it knowing if you are low or high. I started at a young age of trying to guess what it would be before checking with the meter and now I can get it pretty damn close 99% of the time and I know when my sugar is low or high. I can't imagine not knowing your blood sugar was 500-1000 or whatever.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've heard a story similar to Olebass' before.. that is some scary shit.

400 is still high, can't really sugar coat (bad joke) that. I take Glimeperide too but along with Metformin and some statin I can't remember. Usually I'm around 120.

I remember my father told me when he was diagnosed with diabetes his sugar was over 500 for months and he was fine, somehow. Keep being careful and I hope it works out.

I've been putting off going back to the doctor for awhile and I think I'm going to make an appointment. I've been handling diabetes really shitty.

I just noticed an issue with my foot, looked it up and it looks likeMetatarsalgia Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thanks for all the input, bros.

I'm definitely worried about the blood sugar overall, but right now I'm acutely concerned about what it's doing to my body chemistry that's putting me into A-fib. I'm not looking forward to a week of feeling this badly until they cardiovert me. (Shock my heart back in rhythm.)

And I've had a mother fucker of a headache for the past four days.

I know I was exaggerating (I hope) about kicking the bucket, but man I feel horrible right now.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I started at a young age of trying to guess what it would be before checking with the meter and now I can get it pretty damn close 99% of the time and I know when my sugar is low or high. I can't imagine not knowing your blood sugar was 500-1000 or whatever.
Armchair diagnosis here, but guess is that Gravy is a pretty heavy dude by now, so with his diabetes prolly comes high blood pressure, which makes you feel great no matter how harmfull that or the other side effects of being overweight would be.
Guess is hes getting treated his blood pressure by now as well, what he describes as lowering heart rhythm, which would be the right treatment but will make him feel like donkey shit.

Anyway, Gravy head out for regular appointments to get your sugar levels adjusted, this should ideally be a matter of weeks and not about getting an appointment resheduled a few month, since you are obviously in a semi critical condition atm. Dont hesitate to head to the ER if you think you have to.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I had a patient who was uncontrolled diabetic -- he was in an outpatient psychiatric program to stop his substance abuse. He was a new patient, too. During one of our group therapy sessions that I was leading, he comes in and asks me (since I'm the nurse) if his blood pressure is bad. It was over 450. I pointed him to the direction of the ER and told him to go immediately before he goes into an acidotic state. His primary care provider (PCP) took him off his Metformin and he had not been on ANYTHING for the past year or so. I chewed that stupid NP out, essentially screaming at him over the phone in the staff's office.

tl;dr: Keep your blood sugar in check.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Armchair diagnosis here, but guess is that Gravy is a pretty heavy dude by now, so with his diabetes prolly comes high blood pressure, which makes you feel great no matter how harmfull that or the other side effects of being overweight would be.
Guess is hes getting treated his blood pressure by now as well, what he describes as lowering heart rhythm, which would be the right treatment but will make him feel like donkey shit.

Anyway, Gravy head out for regular appointments to get your sugar levels adjusted, this should ideally be a matter of weeks and not about getting an appointment resheduled a few month, since you are obviously in a semi critical condition atm. Dont hesitate to head to the ER if you think you have to.
I suppose I should be pissed for you assuming that I'm a 'pretty heavy dude by now', but you are correct, of course.

My blood pressure is in check, and has been for about 5 years now. I'm currently averaging about 107/68.

I'm trying to figure out what has triggered this sudden increase in my blood sugar, and I'm going to guess that it has to do with the myriad combination of drugs that I am currently taking. I haven't had any major weight fluctuations (even though I am overweight). It may also be linked to marijuana smoking, though it has always been my assumption that MJ lowers blood glucose levels, it may be taking it's toll on my circulatory system.

Anyway, I've been on Levemir insulin for three days now at a 10ml dosage. My blood sugar is still running high, in the 270's. I'll be in contact with my primary care NP on Monday.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Gravy, you might need to be on a combination of a biguanide with insulin. 270 is still hyperglycemic. Are you on a short acting insulin as well for your morning breakfast?

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also when do you inject atm? With Levemir (and other long term Insulin Analoga) the reported optimal timeframe was around 6-8pm to get you through the night.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just the Levemir for now, that yes, I've been injecting in the evening. I think it's a relatively small dosage as my injection pen allows for quite a bit more.

And yeah, Kuriin, I expect more to come, but I haven't seen the endo Doc yet. I'm scheduled for the 26th.