Health Problems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just had surgery to repair hip impingement + torn labrum. Not sure if anyone's been through that
At 35 I had femoroplasty and labrum repair on both hips, with a bonus cartilage microfracture on the right. Turns out I had a 10mm circular patch of exposed bone in my right socket.
Hopefully this isn't a decision I regret, but having an aching hip in my mid 30s every time I trained or played a sport finally got to be enough and I'm hoping this will be a big improvement. Long recovery though... 9 months till I can run again and 12+ to full-ish strength.
I'm now 7 years out and I can't say that it's totally cured my discomfort. I've had ongoing issues with psoas tendinitis and the hip still hurts from prolonged activity and low hydration. However, it's slightly rewound and totally stabilized the progression of my pain, which was getting to the point where I couldn't sit upright in a chair for more than 10 minutes and I would have intermittent trouble sleeping. I'm still very glad I did the surgery. I'm sure I would have had a hip replacement years ago without it.

In terms of sports I avoid anything with a lot of jumping or repetitive impact (ixnay on mogul skiing, basketball, and running), but I could still practice ju jitsu just fine if it weren't for my knee issues.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I suffer from random blackouts/narcolepsy. By blackout I mean from my perspective I work intently and actively but when all is said and done, the amount of time I actually spent vs what I perceived I spent are quite different. I also randomly and suddenly doze off. I don't feel it coming, but I'm sitting here suspended from work because my boss caught for the second time dozing. both times he caught me was a surprise to me, "like what the hell" was the sensation I felt. Was not my intent, wasn't like I was out partying or intentionally tucking aside to catch some zs. Who knows, maybe the blackouts are dozes also.

I may get fired over this. When I come back I'm scheduled a visit with HR and director.

I live a contemplative life and try to improve everyday but what frustrates/scares me is I have no mental logs. I don't feel it coming and I barely register coming back. From my perspective it's seamless, not like nodding off in class and coming back with a start. No, it's smooth

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
At 35 I had femoroplasty and labrum repair on both hips, with a bonus cartilage microfracture on the right. Turns out I had a 10mm circular patch of exposed bone in my right socket.

I'm now 7 years out and I can't say that it's totally cured my discomfort. I've had ongoing issues with psoas tendinitis and the hip still hurts from prolonged activity and low hydration. However, it's slightly rewound and totally stabilized the progression of my pain, which was getting to the point where I couldn't sit upright in a chair for more than 10 minutes and I would have intermittent trouble sleeping. I'm still very glad I did the surgery. I'm sure I would have had a hip replacement years ago without it.

In terms of sports I avoid anything with a lot of jumping or repetitive impact (ixnay on mogul skiing, basketball, and running), but I could still practice ju jitsu just fine if it weren't for my knee issues.
Thanks for the insight. I had similar surgery (femoroplasty + labral repair + capsule closure, no microfracture) but only on my painful symptomatic hip. I'll eventually need it on the other side MRI showed a torn labrum there as well but so far it doesn't ache after activity the way the left one did. My main goal is to stave off a hip replacement as long as possible. I'd hope I can return to tennis, soccer, and BJJ eventually but I'm OK taking it slow.

For the last 9 years I've been worrying every time I did any physical activity because I knew I was gambling with arthritis due to the impingement and labral tear. Very luckily it sounds like my articular cartilage was in good shape. I have my 2 week post op early next week but it sounds like surgeon expects 3 weeks of mostly bed rest with no weight bearing or hip movement. I'm paranoid about damaging the labrum repair shop I'm being very cautious for the first month.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm paranoid about damaging the labrum repair shop I'm being very cautious for the first month.

Just take it slow. The recovery is prolonged, as you expect. For the first 9 months I actually felt worse than before the surgery. I ended up going back to BJJ against the advice of ortho and PT because I figured if I was going to be miserable I might as well try being active and miserable. Surprisingly, the increased movement helped a LOT, and almost immediately. What I had thought was bone pain was actually tendinitis, for which there's a definite sweet spot of moderately strenuous activity.

This surgery does a great deal of violence to the joint, and the tissues in there can have very poor vascularization and healing rates. My bad hip continued to improve (slowly) for as long as 18 months post-op.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I will check later, but from what I skimmed, sounds like we have different issues. So, I'm in pretty sporadic pain nowadays, but it gets worse if I don't maintain the same frequency. So, if we are banging a lot, that's fine. If we're not banging, that's fine...it's the area between the 2. We can bang every night, we're good, and we can go a week, we're good, but if we bang every night for a week and then take a week off, that's when it gets to be very uncomfortable.

I also did manage to get one benefit out of it...my orgasms are doubled up now. I've got the normal peak I've always had, but then hit a second peak halfway thru that one. That started right after the vasectomy, so it's definitely caused by that.

It sure makes up for it when your orgasms are twice as good.

Orgasms twice as good + intermittent awful pain...wow, some really weird-ass stuff can happen from this procedure.

I honestly don't think you would have any hope of winning in a lawsuit against a surgeon. @Falxy-US is very much right. Not only do I work in two ER's, I also work in a perianesthesia area and surgical consents go over all of this. There are always risks. If the doctor had taken off your left nut instead of your right nut, then you'd have a case.

I really don't even think imaging would show anything. What have urologists said about you reversing it? Likelihood of having sensation?

Urologists shrugged about reversing it, they have no idea if it'll help or not. There's also a possibility (40% IIRC) of sperm regaining motility after a reversal. So I'll be able to get someone pregnant again, while possibly still having the problems I have. Or maybe I won't. Or maybe it'll get worse. It's a big question mark.

I'm leaning towards just having them leave me the fuck alone honestly. I should have never taken on the risk of letting surgeons tamper with my bits, and having rolled snake eyes on that one, do I seriously want to let more surgeons tamper with my bits? My dick would probably fall off after the second procedure.

Moral of the story is don't let surgeons fool with you. Our culture leads us to think the science is a lot more perfect than it is and that medical mistakes are incredibly rare, but they aren't. Neighbor of mine has a permanent limp because a surgeon severed a nerve in his leg while operating on some injury he had. No idea if he got any kind of recourse or even tried to, I'll have to ask next time I see him.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Orgasms twice as good + intermittent awful pain...wow, some really weird-ass stuff can happen from this procedure.

Urologists shrugged about reversing it, they have no idea if it'll help or not. There's also a possibility (40% IIRC) of sperm regaining motility after a reversal. So I'll be able to get someone pregnant again, while possibly still having the problems I have. Or maybe I won't. Or maybe it'll get worse. It's a big question mark.

I'm leaning towards just having them leave me the fuck alone honestly. I should have never taken on the risk of letting surgeons tamper with my bits, and having rolled snake eyes on that one, do I seriously want to let more surgeons tamper with my bits? My dick would probably fall off after the second procedure.

Moral of the story is don't let surgeons fool with you. Our culture leads us to think the science is a lot more perfect than it is and that medical mistakes are incredibly rare, but they aren't. Neighbor of mine has a permanent limp because a surgeon severed a nerve in his leg while operating on some injury he had. No idea if he got any kind of recourse or even tried to, I'll have to ask next time I see him.

When I talked to a different urologist (not the one who did mine), he said "chasing pain with surgery usually just ends up with more pain."

So unless it's something unbearable, I'm not sure i'd bother. I'm 8ish years out from mine now, and it's not daily anymore, but there's still a few days a year where the pain comes in so bad I gotta take a knee at work or something.

Then usually it's just more or less pain depending on sexual frequency, with the occasional post coital pain too.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You first need a second opinion. Go see another urologist and see what they say.

There's a problem with that too....I actually called about 20 urologists wanting to talk about my vasectomy and most of them won't even talk to you if they didn't do it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It's honestly absolutely sad that you think that you can have a surgical procedure that cuts a functional body part and that you won't have side effects. Sadly, people like you are what makes the practice of medicine unenjoyable. People aren't able to tolerate the slightest inconvenience, and you all think the body is some robotic structure that can just have parts replaced and be back to normal. Your genitals literally evolved over hundreds of millions of years to do one thing: produce offspring and carry your genes on to the next generation. You chose to have your vas deferens surgically cut, which literally eliminates your entire reason for existing, and you complain about it? Come on dude. Man up.

No, what's sad is that this shit is not EVER told to anyone beforehand.

No one tells you the accurate risks. They only tell you "yeah, put a bag of peas on your junk for a weekend and you'll be good Monday."

No one tells you that you can jizz blood.
No one tells you that there's a chance you'll be in pain for the rest of your life.

Why do you think these things aren't told to people? Could it be that no one would sign up for it?

• 2Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My doc told me there was a 2% chance of persistent ball pain after the surgery, gave me a packet of info at the first consult and made me wait 30 days from the consult before he would do the surgery.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My doc told me there was a 2% chance of persistent ball pain after the surgery, gave me a packet of info at the first consult and made me wait 30 days from the consult before he would do the surgery.

Yeah, I wish someone would have told me something that specific. Might not have done it given my track record of bad luck with injuries and doctors. Or maybe I would have and at least it'd be on me.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The "dud orgasm" where you're not even sure it happened is uncommon but it happens to me too. Completely random. Sometimes it happens during times when I'm super worked-up too. Like I'll be with someone I really like and be super into it with her doing everything I like, and building to something massive and then...toot. Other times I'll be not that into the sex / bored and it'll be a decent orgasm. Just totally random. Maybe 1/30 feels great / normal / like I remember and enough time has gone by that I'm not even sure if I'm remembering right.

Are you referring to a disconnect between ejaculation and orgasm? Ejaculation without orgasm?

Are you circumcised by chance? There are symptoms of circumcision that can present with age typically by the decade as you get older. Mostly in the 45+ to 50+ year old mark.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

I suspect it is far more than 2%. You wouldn't believe the amount of people I have run into who said they have the same problems but never told anyone.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you referring to a disconnect between ejaculation and orgasm? Ejaculation without orgasm?

Are you circumcised by chance? There are symptoms of circumcision that can present with age typically by the decade as you get older. Mostly in the 45+ to 50+ year old mark.

Yep, I am, and I got that procedure very late as well because of issues. 5 years before the vas, to be precise.

There is a disconnect a lot of the time. The thing is, all of these symptoms started being noticeable like literally the same week that I got the vas, as soon as I was able to bone again. Though things did feel a little iffy in the weeks right before that (orgasms were duller than usual which I attributed to being preoccupied). So there's a chance that a problem was already underway and it was hella coincidental timing. I doubt it but it is possible.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suffer from random blackouts/narcolepsy. By blackout I mean from my perspective I work intently and actively but when all is said and done, the amount of time I actually spent vs what I perceived I spent are quite different. I also randomly and suddenly doze off. I don't feel it coming, but I'm sitting here suspended from work because my boss caught for the second time dozing. both times he caught me was a surprise to me, "like what the hell" was the sensation I felt. Was not my intent, wasn't like I was out partying or intentionally tucking aside to catch some zs. Who knows, maybe the blackouts are dozes also.

I may get fired over this. When I come back I'm scheduled a visit with HR and director.

I live a contemplative life and try to improve everyday but what frustrates/scares me is I have no mental logs. I don't feel it coming and I barely register coming back. From my perspective it's seamless, not like nodding off in class and coming back with a start. No, it's smooth

Start with a trip to your primary care doctor and get a referral to neurology.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had sinus surgery in high school back before the internet. Asked questions and got a second opinion. Dr. said yup you need it. Had it done and everything went fine and it worked. A couple of years later I got a notice that the procedure wasn't FDA approved and the Dr. had lost his license. Maybe I should look into more procedures that aren't FDA approved.

• 1Worf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

I agree whole heartedly. I would never have an elective surgery done. Too much shit can go wrong and like hon said, it ain’t remoter perfect. And always get multiple opinions if you are doing something elective. Too often a surgeon steers you towards what *they* can do, not what’s best for you.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

The data is out there. It's not a huge risk, but still a risk.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I had sinus surgery in high school back before the internet. Asked questions and got a second opinion. Dr. said yup you need it. Had it done and everything went fine and it worked. A couple of years later I got a notice that the procedure wasn't FDA approved and the Dr. had lost his license. Maybe I should look into more procedures that aren't FDA approved.
Maybe Lumi Lumi can help you there.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

My turbinates are huge and obstruct my sinus depending how inflamed they are that day, but I refuse to get sinus surgery to trim them. I know some guys here had good experiences but I just dislike medical intervention unless its live-saving after some bad experiences in 2014 with skin related health problems I had to work up. You know how that goes..