Health Problems

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Not so much pain, but I have an intermittent allergy to sweating (Cholinergic urticaria). It only happens after I've been doing several hours of major exercise and get deeply dehydrated. The next day, the first time I do anything that makes me perspire it's like someone injected poison ivy into every pore. I've been seriously tempted to take a belt sander to my skin. Fortunately it only happens once or twice a decade. Some people have this shit constantly.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
EEG came back normal so I guess that means the tumor removal = no more seizures? Last Radiation/Chemo is Oct 10th then I can start putting things back to normal health wise and HOPEFULLY stop taking all these damn pills. My days are ruled by my phone alarm telling me what to take when and with or without food. This getting old shit is for the birds!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
EEG came back normal so I guess that means the tumor removal = no more seizures? Last Radiation/Chemo is Oct 10th then I can start putting things back to normal health wise and HOPEFULLY stop taking all these damn pills. My days are ruled by my phone alarm telling me what to take when and with or without food. This getting old shit is for the birds!
We all stop getting old eventually.

• 1Solidarity

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone heard of someone becoming really sensitive to certain foods they used to be able to eat pre-COVID? Long story short, I think I had COVID (or something that had me pretty sick for a month or so) in late 2019, something really messed my lungs up to where any smoke would make me feel like my lungs were on fire. THe early variants were reportedly messing up people's lungs. My lungs are fine now, but I cannot consume even microscopic amounts of corn anymore, or I get very itchy hives that persist for at least a week. Even a tylenol or something with <1% corn starch sends me to hive city and turns my gut into mush. It's not just corn, I hvae to avoid caffeine too and a few other minor things. I really suspect it had something to do with COVID but idk.

Goatface

but I cannot consume even microscopic amounts of corn anymore, or I get very itchy hives that persist for at least a week. Even a tylenol or something with <1% corn starch sends me to hive city and turns my gut into mush. It's not just corn, I hvae to avoid caffeine too and a few other minor things. I really suspect it had something to do with COVID but idk.

a lot of illnesses can cause long term allergies. have you seen a doctor? pretty sure corn allergy can cause an anaphylactic reaction.

30+ years ago, had a job at a campus dining hall and got a safety class. one of the points was about not blowing into gloves. as the ones with cornstarch could mess someone up with even the mildest allergy. at that dining hall, they had 3 gloves, blue (latex free), clear (vinyl or something) and yellow-ish (with corn starch). a woman in her 40's-50's had been there for years had a terrible reaction one day out of the blue to the yellow-ish gloves she normally wore. Her hands went from itchy to blood red and swollen in like 30mins. she also got so light headed, people had to help her walk out. she came back, day or 2 later. they also started stocking pink gloves (latex and powder free) for her.

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
a lot of illnesses can cause long term allergies. have you seen a doctor? pretty sure corn allergy can cause an anaphylactic reaction.

30+ years ago, had a job at a campus dining hall and got a safety class. one of the points was about not blowing into gloves. as the ones with cornstarch could mess someone up with even the mildest allergy. at that dining hall, they had 3 gloves, blue (latex free), clear (vinyl or something) and yellow-ish (with corn starch). a woman in her 40's-50's had been there for years had a terrible reaction one day out of the blue to the yellow-ish gloves she normally wore. Her hands went from itchy to blood red and swollen in like 30mins. she also got so light headed, people had to help her walk out. she came back, day or 2 later. they also started stocking pink gloves (latex and powder free) for her.

I'm thinking it's not just garden variety corn allergies and it's not just corn, caffeine does the same thing although not as severely. Still, I don't drink much coffee anymore. Both allergies appeared at the same time as far as I can tell, so maybe i have cancer and I'm dying and just don't know it yet? Or maybe COVID scrambled some of DNA in my gut and it's attacking stuff it never had before is kinda my working theory right now because this stuff only bothers me when ingested not from touching my skin.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Need some advice
My grandma had a sudden attack of arthritis to the point she was crying in bed with pain.

the ER doctor prescribed this:
IMG_6963.jpeg

Will some please clarify/verify to me what this says in simple English?

I interpret it as “take half a pill ONCE every six hours as needed for pain. If you want to take acetaminophen from another source, like Tylenol, your total dosage of ACETAMINOPHEN from ALL sources must not exceed 3000 mg in a 24 hour period.”

For whatever fucking reason, my mom is convinced that my grandma can take up to FOUR half pills every 6-8 hours, based on what her doctor friend said, not what the doctor at the hospital who made this prescription advised.

Goatface

i would call the er, pharmacy or insurance's nurse.

think normal would be one 5mg tablet every 6 hours and seems like it would be 1/2 tab as needed for pain but no more than two 1/2s per 6 hours.

• 1Truth!

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For whatever fucking reason, my mom is convinced that my grandma can take up to FOUR half pills every 6-8 hours
That looks true if the only concern is od-ing on acetaminophen. I suspect that she also doesn't want to od on oxy though.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Need some advice
My grandma had a sudden attack of arthritis to the point she was crying in bed with pain.

View attachment 490181

I interpret it as “take half a pill ONCE every six hours as needed for pain. If you want to take acetaminophen from another source, like Tylenol, your total dosage of ACETAMINOPHEN from ALL sources must not exceed 3000 mg in a 24 hour period.”

For whatever fucking reason, my mom is convinced that my grandma can take up to FOUR half pills every 6-8 hours, based on what her doctor friend said, not what the doctor at the hospital who made this prescription advised.
Problem is the Tylenol, it's in everything. Any source max 3000mg. Don't play with this, Tylenol is no joke at high doses.
If her only source of Tylenol is these tablets, she can take 1/2 of one every 6 hours.

Hope this helps and hope it gives your grandma some relief.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We’ve had people (or family) with brain tumors, or am I misremembering? Anyway, add my sister to the list. Had a big seizure Saturday morning, unresponsive, 911 to the hospital. Kept her for tests and a “large mass” was found today, moved her to a hospital with more specialization. No other info at this point but hopefully it’s operable and benign.

• 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Need some advice

View attachment 490181

5 pills 325mg each is what I am seeing. So 1625mg total. Take half a tablet every 6 hours as needed. Do not OD on acetaminophen by also taking other pills with it.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
We’ve had people (or family) with brain tumors, or am I misremembering? Anyway, add my sister to the list. Had a big seizure Saturday morning, unresponsive, 911 to the hospital. Kept her for tests and a “large mass” was found today, moved her to a hospital with more specialization. No other info at this point but hopefully it’s operable and benign.
This is me 100%. I'm in the middle of treatment myself. Hope it works out for your sister. Learning the hard way that it makes a lot of things 'make sense' that didn't before and there are kinds that can be treated and you move on (looking more and more like that's what I have).

Also, FWIW if you have not had a brain scan, I'd recommend it. I've HOUNDED the fuck out of my brother to get 'his head examined' since they found mine. Of course the hard headed fucker hasn't done it.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Need some advice

View attachment 490181

Your interpretation is correct.

Regarding Tylenol/acetaminophen: the max daily dose was recently lowered to 3000 mg mostly because people see a max dose and "cheat" ("Oh, 3000 is the max? I'll do 3500, nothing will happen.") Max safe dose was 4000 mg for a long time, and for most people, 4000 itself is a safe number, but it gets toxic pretty much right above that. 4k is also probably not safe in anyone with liver impairment.

NSAIDs like ibuprofen would probably be a better choice than Tylenol for arthritis pain (the two can also be comboed), but I would understand why an ED provider might not want to give them in an older person especially if her kidney labs look off (or if she has a history of GI bleed.)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Your interpretation is correct.

Regarding Tylenol/acetaminophen: the max daily dose was recently lowered to 3000 mg mostly because people see a max dose and "cheat" ("Oh, 3000 is the max? I'll do 3500, nothing will happen.") Max safe dose was 4000 mg for a long time, and for most people, 4000 itself is a safe number, but it gets toxic pretty much right above that. 4k is also probably not safe in anyone with liver impairment.

NSAIDs like ibuprofen would probably be a better choice than Tylenol for arthritis pain (the two can also be comboed), but I would understand why an ED provider might not want to give them in an older person especially if her kidney labs look off (or if she has a history of GI bleed.)

I dunno man, I was a die hard Advil guy for years, and all I ever got out of it was stomach ulcers.

The pre-arthritic pain I have in my knee is totally knocked out by Tylenol Arthritis, which has gotta be fucking snake oil, because there's no other ingredients in there aside from Acetaminophen, but fuck if it doesn't work and make me sleep thru the night when nothing else will.

Well, actually, what has helped the most is lifting 6 times a week, that's basically completely cured my back and knees pain. But I can see why a doctor wouldn't waste their time telling people that when he can just charge them $85 per pill.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno man, I was a die hard Advil guy for years, and all I ever got out of it was stomach ulcers.

The pre-arthritic pain I have in my knee is totally knocked out by Tylenol Arthritis, which has gotta be fucking snake oil, because there's no other ingredients in there aside from Acetaminophen, but fuck if it doesn't work and make me sleep thru the night when nothing else will.

Well, actually, what has helped the most is lifting 6 times a week, that's basically completely cured my back and knees pain. But I can see why a doctor wouldn't waste their time telling people that when he can just charge them $85 per pill.

NSAIDs usually work better on average for osteoarthritis because they actively target/slow down inflammation instead of just blocking pain perception (our best guess for how Tylenol works; we still don't entirely understand how it does), but pain is super subjective. I have absolutely heard of people who have responded to Tylenol better than ibuprofen. Some of my post-joint surgery patients back when I was working in a hospital responded better to IV Tylenol than they did to IV opiates.

And yeah, if you can add-on low-impact, low-intensity weight lifting or swimming, that's great, and it absolutely should be encouraged more. Unfortunately, not everyone wants to be bothered. Especially older people in my experience (though I don't want to stereotype TheNozz TheNozz 's grandma.)

• 1Like

Druss

Trakanon Raider
Need some advice

View attachment 490181

Watch this and pass along for help to stop the arthritis.

• 2Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
20230913_210821.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Barf
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is potentially huge, apparently phase 1 trials already completed for use treating celiacs.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is potentially huge, apparently phase 1 trials already completed for use treating celiacs.
This is terrible, what will white women do if they can't randomly claim they're allergic to gluten anymore?