Health Problems

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've had multiple MRIs of head, neck, and spine with and without contrast. They normally extend the thing out and put the contrast in and then back in. One of them they put a thing in my arm and I asked about it and she said "it's non magnetic", did the MRI and then she hooked up the contrast and gave it to the end of that and back in after she unhooked it. Much less hassle and time. I guess it was some kind of plastic shunt or something.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Never seen someone try those before. Just give me the ol’ fist and tap around.
family thanksgiving GIF by LAZY MOM

Step into my shop, m'am.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
picc line out today, in ~36 hours my almost 6 months straight of lifting restriction will finally be gone.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Back to sick gainz?
got a lot of sick losses to get through first before i get within sight of gainz but at least now i can clean my room without having to worry that any random box or crate might cause the end of my picc line to poke a hole in in the giant vein on top of my heart

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
picc line out today, in ~36 hours my almost 6 months straight of lifting restriction will finally be gone.
glad you got it out. Only good thing about my situation is the only pic line I had was out by the time I was conscious and the chemo is tablet form. Work on general health , sic gainz will come when you are healthy.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
glad you got it out. Only good thing about my situation is the only pic line I had was out by the time I was conscious and the chemo is tablet form. Work on general health , sic gainz will come when you are healthy.
I am healthy aside from being overweight. None of the doctors I've seen have the foggiest clue why I developed a lung abscess, let alone why the imaging that got me referred down to Barnes seemed so dire compared to what the surgeon actually found when they cut open the chest abscess. Also no explanation for what caused the chest abscess to develop in the first place or how it had air in it without being connected to the lung abscess.

Also no good explanation for why I took so long to show systemic signs of infection despite having an infection in such a critical location but my primary at least offered a half-baked theory about me having superpowers for that one.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Tore a muscle (or have a pinched nerve), had to hit the ER when it wasn't getting any better after a day or so of awful pain.

Even with "10/10" pain and barely able to even raise one arm, they gave me some ibuprofen. Are hospitals that terrified of prescribing anything strong anymore because of ODs? 95% of the OD deaths are fentanyl.

Kind of ridiculous compared to ten years ago, when I got put on a morphine IV for a knee injury that was nowhere near as bad as this. Ibuprofen did nothing and I'm just toughing it out the same way I was before I came in.

Chances are they went with the weakest option because I said I drove myself here. If I'd said I took an uber, perhaps they would have gone with a stronger option.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Tore a muscle (or have a pinched nerve), had to hit the ER when it wasn't getting any better after a day or so of awful pain.

Even with "10/10" pain and barely able to even raise one arm, they gave me some ibuprofen. Are hospitals that terrified of prescribing anything strong anymore because of ODs? 95% of the OD deaths are fentanyl.

Kind of ridiculous compared to ten years ago, when I got put on a morphine IV for a knee injury that was nowhere near as bad as this. Ibuprofen did nothing and I'm just toughing it out the same way I was before I came in.

Chances are they went with the weakest option because I said I drove myself here. If I'd said I took an uber, perhaps they would have gone with a stronger option.

It really depends on both the institution and the provider. Some hospitals are extremely cautious, others less so.

If your pain isn't well-controlled, say that it isn't well controlled (after giving the first med about an hour to work if oral). Unless I thought someone was obviously drug-seeking, I'd probably ask the doc to see if I could give a single oxy pill or a slow, low-dose morphine push over 5 minutes. Even if they don't bring out an opiate, I'm sure they can get you some IV Toradol or Tylenol (you may laugh at IV Tylenol, but it worked great for my ortho patients back when I was on the floor.)

Fair warning #1: If it is a pinched nerve, an opiate isn't going to do much - gabapentin or an epidural would be a better choice.

Fair warning #2: Unless someone is literally crying in a fetal position, I assume someone is being dramatic when they are saying 10/10 pain and a lot of providers do as well. Not saying it's right, but we get hardened/cynical.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It really depends on both the institution and the provider. Some hospitals are extremely cautious, others less so.

If your pain isn't well-controlled, say that it isn't well controlled (after giving the first med about an hour to work). Unless I thought someone was obviously drug-seeking, I'd probably ask the doc to see if I could give a single oxy pill or a slow, low-dose morphine push over 5 minutes. Even if they don't bring out an opiate, I'm sure they can get you some IV Toradol or Tylenol (you may laugh at IV Tylenol, but it worked great for my ortho patients back when I was on the floor.)

Fair warning #1: If it is a pinched nerve, an opiate isn't going to do much - gabapentin or an epidural would be a better choice.

Fair warning #2: Unless someone is literally crying in a fetal position, I assume someone is being dramatic when they are saying 10/10 pain and a lot of providers do as well. Not saying it's right, but we get hardened/cynical.
Yeah, If assume if you’re at 10/10 you’re going to have a hard time functioning.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
my recent hospital trip actually caused me to recalibrate my 1-10 scale. I used to say my everyday arthritis pain was like a 3 or a 4, now i consider it more like a 1.5-2.

The pain from having a canyon carved in my chest almost all the way to my sternum? When I first woke up in recovery it hurt so goddamn bad it felt like an eternity until they pushed more pain killers but it couldn't have been more than 5-10 seconds. And I'd put that pain at a 7 or 8.

• 2Like

Goatface

my recent hospital trip actually caused me to recalibrate my 1-10 scale.
had to recalibrate a couple times recently. 10 for me was when i shattered the lower part of my femur. when it first happen, i went from on my belly to sitting and it was crazy. they got me in the er, they wouldn't give me any pain med until figuring out what all was wrong. after the doctors looked at me a nurse came over and picked my leg up to wrap it. i yelled. he was like that hurt? last thing i heard was getting demerol. that was around 11pm, i woke up at 3am and then again at 5am.*

1st challenge to 10 was a kidney stone get stuck about half away between kidney and bladder. started as a stabbing pain, then kept getting worse. took about 30 mins to get to the er and my legs were shaking uncontrollably and was getting chills. they gave me morphine in iv and then oxy to take home.

had a couple other er visits for kidney stones, got toradol in iv and more oxy, but was also given narcan.
last december when i had a kidney stone extracted, doctor said afterward most people don't even need pain med and didn't give me anything. pissing with the stent was a new 10 for me. it was like peeing fire and gasoline. oxy didn't do much for it. few times felt like i was going to black out. then i found out ice helped a lot.
last month had 2 more stone extracted, doc gave me oxy and i was ready for the worse, but peeing wasn't that painful. had other issues but nothing super painful.

• 2Like

Goatface

colonoscopy got moved from mar 18 to apr 15.
never had one done, but this was plan for next week. no idea why there are 2 orders for blood work, was going to ask about that monday.
monday - phone interview upto 30 mins sometime between 9am-noon
tuesday - blood work
wed - more blood work - ekg
thur to sat - no fiber diet
sun - clear liquid diet - diarrhea

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

If your pain isn't well-controlled, say that it isn't well controlled (after giving the first med about an hour to work). Unless I thought someone was obviously drug-seeking, I'd probably ask the doc to see if I could give a single oxy pill or a slow, low-dose morphine push over 5 minutes. Even if they don't bring out an opiate, I'm sure they can get you some IV Toradol or Tylenol (you may laugh at IV Tylenol, but it worked great for my ortho patients back when I was on the floor.)

Below is the best pain chart I've seen for scaled pain (top scale). I put it in my phone to show the doc when they ask and why I'm stating what I state. As noted by sleevedraw sleevedraw , everyone thinks they are 10/10 when it hurts, until they get to a new pain plateau. Weirdly this chart was in the local Urgent care and NOT in my pain management doc's office even though I give him shit about it every time I go.

pain.jpg

I unfortunately stay around 7/8, this was before the tumor which brought it's own 'fun'.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
colonoscopy got moved from mar 18 to apr 15.
never had one done, but this was plan for next week. no idea why there are 2 orders for blood work, was going to ask about that monday.
monday - phone interview upto 30 mins sometime between 9am-noon
tuesday - blood work
wed - more blood work - ekg
thur to sat - no fiber diet
sun - clear liquid diet - diarrhea
Bro as noted a lot in this forum, Colonoscopy is not a big deal. The prep sucks is all. You got this man!

• 2Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bro as noted a lot in this forum, Colonoscopy is not a big deal. The prep sucks is all. You got this man!

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I highly suggest miralax over milk of magnesia if you can ask your doctor. I've had both and by the end choking down that chalky shit made me want to fucking yack.

Oldbased

> Than U
Borzak. I feel your pain. 3 years ago I cracked my neck trying to inchworm my way under my parents place in Florida to install a commode drain.
At first I thought it was just muscle spasms/pull. My right shoulder was going numb 24/7. Not needle pain numb just like it was not even there. 6 months pass that numb turned into pain and muscle bricking like it seen a naked 9 20 yr old on a strip pole. Neck to shoulder blade hard as a rock. For 2 years. In this time was going to a pain clinic, no med changes( was already being treated for foot/leg due to heart and lower spinal damage ) despite this new now 2.5 year pain being worse than all other pain combined.
October I told them to fuck off. I quit that place, went to my doctor and explained everything as he shook his head. He refers me to another place.
I go in they actually lowered my narcotics from 5 to 4 a day but schedule the injections. Since I am on thinners this was an ordeal of stopping thinners, getting blood thinning injections 2x a day for 5 days and so on. So I figure knock out several things. So I had a scope and colonoscopy on Wed( FUCK THEM NURSE BITCHES! ) with 2 fucking enemas to clear the colon more after a 1 day prep of literally gatorade/laxative and today the spinal injections. I choose not to be sedated today after the fuckery of Wednesday endo guy.
They were very cool and the machine they had was sweet as fuck too! It took mini Xrays with very high definition photos. They would slide them down under my face while laying on my stomach to show me each vertebra. This was important due to the xray 2 weeks ago that added this gem to my health.
1709970055562.png

So ya. So they inject a numbing med, which pinched less than even a monthly INR/PT blood draw but slightly over a glucose poke and honestly I never felt anything after that until they got to the neck area of injections. I didn't feel that injection either but what I did feel was a intense wave of heat leave my neck down my shoulder that hurt for 3 years day and night, couldn't turn head to the right and suddenly gone. No numbness but no pain. I feel like I did 10 years ago. It's only been 10 hours and it may wear off at some point but relief for the first time in fucking years.

I saw you had to wear a brace. I joked about that to multiple doctors and they ALL warned me against it. It can weaken your already stressed muscles/nerves even more, making it even WORSE than the nearly unbearable life you have now. So be careful with that and don't wear it all the time. I get it man, I got one too with vibration and IR heat. I find those $20 percussion massagers on Amazon you can recharge with like 10-20 head attachments work best for me when I need to go out. I like the foam ball one on max pulverize to the bend of neck to shoulder. Gives me like a 30 minute window to fuck up some shit.

Hope you get proper relief soon.
-Fuck neck/back pain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user