Hearthstone

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some of these cards are pretty cool, but the entire expansion doesn't feel very inventive. Two xpacs in a row with no new mechanics and just variations on existing themes. I hope they aren't running out of ideas or something.

C'thun was essentially a new mechanic, and Yogg's 'do X for each spell you cast this game' sort of was. Arcane giant is interesting, I think it might actually be the most playable giant. I can certainly see tossing it in something like tempo mage or yogg druid just for the muscle.

Priest is going to stay priest tier until they get something to replace lightbomb. Priest can limp along without deathlord and chosen, but they just aren't viable without a reliable heavy duty board clear like lightbomb. Lightbomb or something like it really just needs to be part of the core set if they don't want priest to go back to complete shit every time their mass removal rotates out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Eh, C'thun I'll give you, but yogg was not a new mechanic, it was just an interesting card. I'm talking actual mechanics/keywords, i.e. inspire, charge, taunt, etc..

How about shields? armor for creatures basically. Or, damage reduction (absorb X, the first X damage dealt to this minion by any source is prevented). Things like that.

They also need to make arena rotate on a similar schedule to constructed, the card pool is getting so diluted it's taken more of the skill out and made it so RNG based, alot of the big arena players have been complaining about the 'good ol days' when you could play around specific things because they were more likely to be in someone's deck. Now, the correct line is to just not play around almost anything and just act like they don't have it, because they generally don't. When they do, you get rekt, but you win the other 60+% of the time.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Moat Lurker is the card that interest me. The fact that a player could target their own creatures with it could provide some very interesting scenarios. At worst, it temporarily removes a wall while you swing in for the win. Recasting a C'thune with the moat would certainly make for a deadly combo. It would be awesome to Yogg, then cast moonglade portal and get the Moat to target your Yogg with. Fun times.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
As always, battlecries only trigger when a minion is played from your hand. Card is definitely interesting though and worth experimenting with.

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like druid and hunter got the best cards. Nothing sticks out as OMFG broken/scary though. Medivh into Call of the Wild could be a bitch, but not sure if that will really get slotted in or not.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
For whatever it's worth, my full review:

Druid:
Receiving 3 nice cards but the focus on Beasts could be a major drawback.

Moonglade Portal fits nicely in Yogg Druid but maybe sees play elsewhere. It gives them a little bit of relief combined with board presence which is ideal. Could also see play in a ramp list.

Menagerie Warden & Enchanted Raven. I'm having a hard time envisioning a Beast Druid deck right now. Druid beasts are all early game so it's going to be a fast/aggro deck. Menagerie Warden is a 6-drop and best case is you copy a DotC but probably end up copying a 2/2 more often. 6 mana for 7/7 worth of stats is still great but the condition of needing a beast on board is still expensive. Druids just don't have any good beasts past 5 mana. If they had something like Highmane and Houndmaster then maybe you see Beast Druid come into existence. Right now Beast Druid will be an aggro/token deck, which may not be bad, and these cards could be viable there. Enchanted Raven has some potential outside a Beast deck, but slim compared to Living Roots.

Hunter:
All 3 Hunter cards seem playable and strong. Yogg Hunter and Tempo/Mid-Range get stronger. Nothing to help a Control deck.

Cat Trick will fit perfect in Yogg Hunter and provides you with board presence that can't be removed easily and you'll be able to use to attack with as soon as it's your turn. It's practically another Huffer card, but you can try to react with Taunt or removal that bypasses Stealth. Could easily see this in non-Yogg decks since it's a decent tempo card.

Cloaked Huntress is kinda insane since it has the 3/4 stat-line on a 3-drop and also gives you free secrets. I wouldn't go crazy on "secret-hunter", but even 1 or 2 free secrets is worth it imo. This card combined with Lock and Load seem to be an obvious combo. This card could see play in any Hunter deck that has secrets.

Kindly Grandmother is really good having both Beast and Deathrattle. Should make most mid/tempo lists.

Mage
The mage cards are mostly underwhelming. Might see Tempo/Reno get stronger but no new decks are being supported.

Babbling Book
competes with too many other great 1-drops and a Random Spell isn't really worth. Arcane Blast is probably a better pick than a majority of random spells you could receive.

Firelands Portal is obviously going to be great in Arena. Maybe some tempo decks give it a whirl in constructed as a one-of, but doesn't seem overly great for 7-mana.

Medivh's Valet actually could be decent or borderline OP. Secret Mage isn't really a thing, but even just an Ice Block in Reno Mage or Freeze Mage can make this card viable. The 3 damage is very flexible. I consider this one of their stronger cards. I could even see this in Tempo. For 5 mana you can deal 3 damage, put a 2/3 on board and play Mirror or Counterspell.

Paladin
Mostly underwhelming. Maybe Dragon Paladin sees play. They aren't getting much to strengthen existing decks or support new ones.

Ivory Knight is a pile of value that might not see much play due to how unfocused it is. Could make it in a control deck.

Silvermoon Portal is similar to Blessing of Kings in a way. You're likely to get 4 attack on board but 2 of it will be in the form of a minion. Maybe this makes an aggro list. I'd say it's a trade-off off with BoK, but BoK might be better in those cases still.

Nightbane Templar
will do well in a Dragon list. It competes with Blackwing Tech and you probably don't want both. Take a 3/5 single minion or 4/5 worth of stats over 3 minions? In most cases this card will be better.

Priest
Receives worst card ever in an adventure? Not much support for any style of deck. Their cards aren't focused, just random tools that are very niche.

Onyx Bishop is their best card and can be used to bring back an Injured Blademaster to get a 4/7 and 3/4 on board for 5 mana. Outside that scenario he's going to be a crap-shoot, probably reviving your 1-drop in most cases.

Priest of the Feast has a nice pile of stats and maybe enables a Divine Spirit deck, also fits in a Yogg list if one exists. Very niche.

Purify is awful. Seems like the idea is to use in a Yogg list. You pay 2 mana for the card draw which seems about right. 0 mana Silence is much more flexible. This card makes no sense other then as a cycle for Yogg decks.

Rogue
Support for some niche decks. Focusing on "stealing" cards from opponent's class. I do like the concept, it's fun. Might not be consistent but does open up more possibilities for Reno Rogue. Rogue's main weakness is healing and board clear and they don't get much help there.

Ethereal Peddler & Swashbuckler might not be strong or consistent but could see play in a Reno list. Most Rogue Reno lists include C'Thun so hard to say if these have a place there. Fun cards nonetheless.

Deadly Fork seems really good, especially for N'Zoth Rogue. Can get many 3/2 weapons in a game, but it means you get over 6 deathrattlers more easily and you might prefer to N'Zoth back something else instead. Still a decent minion since you get a weapon off it and Rogue haven't been able to find room for weapons recently. This is a decent way to get a weapon back in your deck.

Shaman
Aggro Shaman getting stronger. Some support for a Yogg deck.

Maelstrom Portal
might see play in an aggro list in lieu of Lightning Storm. It's cheap, removes tokens from zoo & other aggro decks that Shaman have issues with, and provides a board presence. Also no Overload and can do 2 damage AoE with Totem. Probably doesn't see play in non-aggro lists.

Wicked Witchdoctor just goes with the Yogg theme but 3/4 on 4 mana seems bad. Should see little to no play.

Spirit Claws could be insane, but what do they replace? Fits aggro but also decent in non-aggro. Just need Totem to make them 3 damage and in non-aggro you can combo with Thalnos or Drake. Might not find room simply because they are inconsistent.

Warlock
Support for Discardlock and another flood card. Sounds like fun!

Silverware Golem & Malchezaar's Imp could make Discardlock a thing. Imp means you have a draw engine and Silverware Golem reverses the negatives of discarding. Using a Soulfire to deal 4 damage and summon a 3/3 for 1 mana is actually insane. Also playing Doomguard for 5/7 Charge and summon a 3/3 on 5 mana is also very insane. It's worth testing for sure and even if full-fledged Discardlock isn't a thing, I can see these cards making an appearance in Zoo somewhere. Zoo always evolves and maybe now in includes more discards.

Kara Kazham probably sees play, especially in Reno. Might be a one-of in Zoo. It is a spell that can work with Cho'Gull and Yogg. Won't make every list.

Warrior
Control & Fatigue lists get stronger, some support for Bolster Warrior.

Protect the King!
can make a Bolster list, also can work with Frothing and Cult Master in some situations. It's a niche card for a specific deck.

Fool's Bane is nice. Compared to Fiery War Axe, this card is 5 mana for 12 damage, but can deal all 12 in a single turn. Fiery War Axe is 2 mana for 6 damage. So you pay 1 extra mana to have infinite attacks. Allows you to save Brawl for big N'Zoth turns or other scenarios. Less flexible in that it can't hit face. It's a flex pick for sure, but Fatigue/Control lists probably want at least 1 of this.

Ironforge Portal also a 5 drop, so it competes with Fools Bane. I don't think you remove Bash but this card is a viable pick over Shield Block in fatigue lists. You often don't want the card draw anyway so this gives you a free minion with the added armor. It's a niche card. Pretty expensive and really only fits in Fatigue.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Neutrals:

Medivh is exciting and strong, especially in Yogg lists. Expensive though. Won't make many lists, but the ones it does will be a load of fun. Can it make Hunter is the biggest question. I could see this in a Renolock deck. Works nicely with a lot of their big spells. It probably doesn't make Yogg Druid, Arcane Giant might see play in that deck.

The Curator: I like this card but reminds me too much of Mysterious Challenger. This card is very flexible and could see a lot of play. The Taunt and specific-3-card draw are both strong attributes.

Malchezaar is a fatigue list dream and can fit in Reno and some other control lists. Won't make fast/aggro decks but should see a lot of play elsewhere.

Barnes is an OTK dream, N'Zoth dream, and lots of janky shit dream. This card will be fun.

Moroes works in token decks. Druid/Paladin most likely but even Zoo could play him. Zoo lacks the buffs to keep him around very long.

Arcane Giant should slot into Yogg druid very easily and even Yogg Hunter or any Yogg list tbh.

Book Wyrm: Trash. Blackwing Corrupter so much better.

Moat Lurker seems like a really fun card that opens up so much possibility. Definitely going to try fitting him into a variety of lists. Can use on your own minions to "revive" them later, or use on enemy minion to temporarily remove a huge threat. Combos well with Purify :rolleyes:

Avian Watcher works great in a Reno Mage... Niche usage. Doubt it would even see play in Wild.

Menagerie Magician maybe opens up some sort of new zoo deck, could be good, or very annoying. If it works it's not going to be enjoyable to play against. 5 mana and very conditional makes it expensive and not consistent. Niche card.

Arcanosmith could be another enabler for Divine Spirit Priest. 4 mana 3/7 stats is not bad. Also could work in Bolster warrior. Not sure if it sees much play, could be a sleeper.

Violet Illusionist works nicely in Warlock but also allows Rogue to do some clearing with her face. Doubt it sees play elsewhere.

Zoobot same as Menagerie Magician, but cheaper, less of a buff. Inconsistent but stats are ok. Better than Magician imo. Niche.

Pantry Spider seems bad but 3 mana for 2/6 stats might work. Grub is 3 mana for 2/5 stats but depends if you value 1 minion more than 2. This card means you have a more guaranteed Houndmaster as it's unlikely both get cleared before your next turn. Usually better to have more minions so arguably better than Grub.

Nethersprite Historian obviously fits in Dragon decks. Only dragon deck in meta is Warrior but with the new 3-drop maybe Paladin comes into play.

Pompous Thespian power creeps Frostwolf Grunt. Has too little health for the taunt to be worth it. Unplayable.

Arcane Anomaly
probably unplayable. With coin+secret it can be a 2/3 on 1 mana in secret paladin, but secretkeeper better anyway. Shaman Maelstrom can get this.

Runic Egg unplayable, but can be summoned with Maelstrom. More card draw for aggro shaman.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm,

Wont use up all that space. I'll just mention the ones I think will see decent play and Im interested in;

Interested- Moat Lurker, Medivh, Arcane Giant, Barnes, Nether Historian, Pantry Spider, Curator,

Moon Portal, Grandmother, Cloaked Hunter, Valet, N Templar, Spirit Claws, the rogue steal cards, and all of the warr, lock cards.

Best cards will be Lurker, Giant, Barnes, Curator, Moon Portal, Grandmother, Imp, and I think the Historian and Kara Kazham will find a lot of use. I can't wait to use the cards I think will be best

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
the druid 5/6 is insane, drop a stranglethorn tiger and next turn get a 5/6 and 5/5 for 6 mana on top of your 5/5 thats already on board. I mean even if you drop a druid of the claw and it doesn't get answered you get another one for free. Beast druid is going to be amazing.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd duplicate a mounted raptor with that shit, doesn't have to be a five drop!

They should have given druid a new four drop. Something like a 4/3 for four, deathrattle:spawn a random beast that costs three!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
the druid 5/6 is insane, drop a stranglethorn tiger and next turn get a 5/6 and 5/5 for 6 mana on top of your 5/5 thats already on board. I mean even if you drop a druid of the claw and it doesn't get answered you get another one for free. Beast druid is going to be amazing.

I hope so. I've tried to make beast druid for a while now with limited success.

Famm, I agree. A 4 drop beast would have really helped push it forward.

• 1Like

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
This dragon warrior infestation finally forced me to return to Cthun Druid 13-1 in matches 6-0 against warrior. Eat it dragon warrior turds.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I've been having similar results the last day or so. Finally started making some progress up the ladder, think I'm only like rank 14 or so, but was stuck treading water at 17ish before I swapped. Few more days and I think I'll be above 10.

Even the decks that aren't warrior tend to be teched out against aggro for some dumb reason, and just can't deal with all the big stuff I play.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Doing really well with Bog Shaman with Yogg teched in for Hallazeal. Have only lost 2 games today out of maybe 15 or so and one of those was a disconnect. Performs well against the various incarnations of warrior and warlock. Faceless/ancestral spirit shenanigans are snatching lots of victories from the jaws of defeat. Three times today I've been under 5 health and pulled it out after putting up the wall of taunts. Good times.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
jeez chtonic.. i open the site to 10 notifications of you liking all my posts, then I see you are just spamming it on everything. Trying to wintrade with likes? :)

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How the fuck did they not just give priest one of these "portals"? Forget purify, purification portal, two mana, draw a card, give a minion 1/2. Any fucking thing but this bullshit.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
lol no shit, man, the priest cards are a huge disappointment. So much could be given to priest but they lack imagination. Priest is a fucked class imo. When they're good they're super annoying, when they're bad, they're bad. I don't want priest to get good cards. Fuck that shit. Priests don't play with their own cards. It's just unfun. The whole class needs a redesign.

• 1Like