Hearthstone

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of that stuff makes sense and others don't. Lol @ mage though, yeah they keep flamestrike, fireball and a bunch of other tools, but those are three good cards to yank. Honestly, remove fucking firelands portal too, that's some bullshit in arena as we all knew it would be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Charge and rampage are both ok cards, so likely a wash there in card value. In the context of the other cards also removed though, you'll notice that there aren't any other worse common class cards left. Aside from maybe Ironforge Portal, but they aren't going to remove that.

So, after removing Bolster, Warsong Commander, Ogre Warmaul, and Axe Flinger, Charge and Rampage were just the next worst common class cards.

They maybe could have remove Ogrimmar Aspirant and Shield Block. Those have similar value to Charge and Rampage.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't really care about Arena but I suppose that's cause the time sink isn't worth the mediocre rewards (once you have near full collection). Also the format is very narrow focused with really only 1 winning strategy: Value/Tempo.

These changes mean nothing to me other then they have no idea how to make it fun.

To get me interested in Arena:

1.) Allow progression for Golden Portrait: DUH!
2.) Make it "Sealed Deck": Present all 90 Cards in a booklet like our collection and you can design a deck with only those cards, once you "Lock In" your deck it can no longer be changed.
3.) Rotating Sets: I would rather a limited card selection but have sets rotate Weekly somehow. Like only have Core+2 Adventures+2 Expansions enabled at any time. Would make for more interesting deck designs.
4.) Guarantee at least 1 Legendary: People like to use Legendaries and always seems unfair when you go against someone with 1+ Legend and you have 0.

Whatever though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Good suggestions overall. I disagree with your supposition about mediocre rewards once you have near full collection. Once you get close to having all cards, the chance that a pack will randomly give you a card you need is very low. Thus the extra dust you get from playing arena is much more useful because you almost always end up crafting those straggler epics and legendaries you want.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Well in my case I'm more interested in Goldens which is why I rank up to 5 for the Golden Epic. A Golden Epic is 1600 dust, that's a lot of Arena runs/packs. I'm not really interested in crafting goldens, too expensive, just saving dust for next expansion.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't understand removing dunemaul and windspeaker from shaman at all, but otherwise this mostly looks fine? Mage and rogue lose a couple of their better cards, other classes all largely have chaff cut from them.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Good suggestions overall. I disagree with your supposition about mediocre rewards once you have near full collection. Once you get close to having all cards, the chance that a pack will randomly give you a card you need is very low. Thus the extra dust you get from playing arena is much more useful because you almost always end up crafting those straggler epics and legendaries you want.

You should read a near full collection as 'every card I want but won't waste dust on crap legendaries' is my thought.

• 1Like

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
I guess I can get on board with the arena changes although some cards I'd rather have stay in like:

• Poison Seeds - One of the few ways druid has of killing a big creature, and also you could draft a token deck in arena and use this to get ahead.
  • Inner Fire - You used to be able to draft the inner fire combo deck fairly consistently in classic, not so much anymore with the card diffusion but I kind of like the idea that you could still do it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You should read a near full collection as 'every card I want but won't waste dust on crap legendaries' is my thought.

But you would still keep them if you got them in a random pack? Yeah, I guess arena isn't worth it if you've run out of effective uses for dust. I'm not really sure constructed is doing much for you collection either outside of the monthly reward either, though. Which you should be doing(constructed monthly) either way, arena or not.

EDIT: Arena still has use as future proofing. I'm *almost* to the point where I have a large majority of the useful cards in the current meta. I'm missing situational legendaries like Malygos to give you an example of my collection quality. So, currently, dust isn't that useful to me either. But I'm stockpiling dust for the next expansion, currently 5k dust. If Blizzard sticks to their 2 expansions and 1 adventure per year, we have two expansions up next. So, how much dust is a good amount to save up for that?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Point is, Constructed gave me a reason to play it whereas Arena has not. Also when having a full collection you kinda want to use it which you can do in Constructed but not Arena. Also you can't use your gold cards in Arena still, right? I can't remember on that one (like if you randomly get gold cards presented to you)

Basically... Arena takes all your hard work and throws it away. It's great for new players but that's about it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No golden cards in arena, I would definitely appreciate that one. And that's been echoed a lot by others

I get your point about using your collection, I've definitely thought that myself and...idk. Like, I don't see the monthly reward as motivation enough to play constructed by itself, especially when compounded with losing hours getting your win streak broken. I kinda just like collecting the cards while also having the assurance that when I do have to play in constructed to get a daily done, I can make any top tier deck.

I've never really had much of an itch to try out new cards, decks, and mechanics in constructed. With the amount of RNG involved, you need a noninsignificant amount of time to truly vet something. I don't have that time and I'd rather not risk my rank for experimentation.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man all those changes really make me want to...continue never playing arena ever.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
They arent fixing anything. They really need a fundamental revamp or just create a sealed mode. Something like 20 classic, 20 most recent xpac, 20 most recent adventure and you build your 30 card deck. That is such a simple idea.

At the very least normalize the rarities so everyone is offered the same amount of legendaries and epics. Preferably put them first so you can somewhat build around for more interesting strategies. Oh, and remove flamestrike or make it more rare. How did they mess that up...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You don't even need to go full sealed. Just seed the draft rarities to like 1 leg 3 epics 8 rares or something would be fine.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Molten Giant, Echo of Medivh, Ice Block.

Rarety is not so important for how often it gets offered, but for how often specific cards get offered. Run a deck tracker and take note how often you get beat by someone with commons and rares. Epics and Legendaries do not guarantee you quality.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Or easy enough, just not offer a card after it has been selected twice.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Molten Giant, Echo of Medivh, Ice Block.

Rarety is not so important for how often it gets offered, but for how often specific cards get offered. Run a deck tracker and take note how often you get beat by someone with commons and rares. Epics and Legendaries do not guarantee you quality.

It's not about power level, it's about having some manner of consistency to it so you can try and have a semblance of strategy while building your deck, rather than just lol curve and dump all my mana every turn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I'm very surprised they haven't just copied MTG as close as they can. Just make arena a proxy of mtg 'draft', where the 3-4 most recent sets, plus core, are available. Balance the offering rates so you have like 1/3rd core, 1/3rd most recent xpac, 1/3rd other two xpacs. Or, if they want to promote the most recent set more, and it's big enough, 30% core, 50% recent xpac, 20% other.
Or, as others have said, do a sealed style. Where you know your entire pool and can build a deck around that.
I can't tell you how many times I got offered a really cool 'synergy' card early on, but couldn't take it cause I had no idea if I'd get the cards to support it in the rest of the draft so I passed on it then kicked myself when the support cards showed up later. If I knew everything that was going to be offered, and saw the support cards, that would have been great.

So many easy ways to fix arena and make it interesting. I really don't understand what is going on in that dev team that they have to wait till there is a huge public outcry about it before they even put a bandaid.

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guessing they consider a draft system too complicated. Keep in mind its Blizzard, they want everything streamlined and friendly for the casual, as well as mobile accessible.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yogg can kiss my fucking ass, last 3 druids I just completely destroy, they have very few cards in hand, they have to throw out like a turn 8 desperation yogg with very few spells and its won them the game every fucking time.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users