Hearthstone

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
[Question] Has there ever been a true Tier 0 deck in Ranked competitive history? • /r/hearthstone
IksarHS said:
  • Undertaker Hunter at one point was around 25% of the meta.
  • Undertaker Hunter at its peak has a winrate of 55-57%. (If remembered correctly)
  • Currently the most popular Shaman archetype is less than half of what Undertaker Hunter was in its prime

Yeah...shamans aren't getting nerfed. Pretty much nothing is.

Ben Brode on Randomness in Hearthstone, Karazhan Set, Magma Rager Dethroning
Ben Brode said:
  • Randomness is important for Hearthstone.
  • Ben believes the consistency at which players are able to stay at high levels of play shows there is a lot of skill in the game.
  • There is not a scale that goes from skill to random which you need to tune, the two can coexist.

We need a roll-eyes-jerkoff-motion emote.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Randomness IS important for hearthstone, but there is good rng, like brawl, ragnaros, sylvanas, etc in which the way you affect the board state is very important. And then there is shit rng like implosion, lightning storm, tuskarr, yogg, etc where it literally does not matter what you or your opponent does, you just pray for the best outcome for yourself/worst outcome for your opponent. Game needs more rng which is impacted by your decisions and less shitty rng.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Rag and brawl are good rng, but implosion and lightning storm are bad rng? They are the same, you wait and pray.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Rag and brawl are good rng, but implosion and lightning storm are bad rng? They are the same, you wait and pray.

I think his point is that you can somewhat steer the RNG based on what you do to the board. Maximize whatever target Rag picks by killing targets you don't want him to hit. Same with Sylvanas. There's nothing you can do to influence whether implosion rolls a min, middle, or max.

Not saying I agree with him, but I think that's his point.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe "good" isn't the right word there. They are good examples of "healthy" rng. You may be praying with rag at some point, but there had been several decisions up to that point to put you into that position.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Would be cool if spirit claws was +2 spell damage while you have spell damage... so 8 damage lava burst but it requires using another resource.

Could open up other decks though, like yogg shaman! Haha.

This game is so fucked though.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Telling you, come play Shadowverse on mobile. If you can stand the weeb factor it's just better hearthstone with a friendlier f2p model.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Those cards are all bad rng because of how big of an impact they can have on a game. I feel an acceptable level of rng is something like fireguard destroyer where it can be good if you get the best result, but not completely swing a game.

• 1Like

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Good RNG is Discover. Discover is one of the best mechanic in the game where you can control your RNG to a certain point.

Shit RNG is like tusker totemic where if he rolls a totem golem on turn 3 then it's basically fuck you for the opponent. Yogg is terrible RNG. I first thought it was a fun and cool card when first announced but now, it's the only one card in the game that no matter the board state can swing the game in your favour. It's a stupid card and rage inducing since there is no counter and it's just hope and pray.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
IksarHS said:
  • Undertaker Hunter at one point was around 25% of the meta.
  • Undertaker Hunter at its peak has a winrate of 55-57%. (If remembered correctly)
  • Currently the most popular Shaman archetype is less than half of what Undertaker Hunter was in its prime

I also remember this taking waaaaay too long to get nerfed. Naxx was released July 22, 2014 they nerfed the card Jan 29, 2015, so we had nearly half a year of this bullshit before they though, oh hey maybe we should nerf undertaker. They should be ashamed even mentioning it and I don't see how it gives the community any confidence about them fixing the game currently...

• 1Like

Dragonaut

Molten Core Raider
All games with this basic model will have a huge amount of RNG by default just because the cards you draw determine nearly everything. Honestly, before even creating the cards, the traditional TCG package carries like a 50% luck factor. In the overwhelming majority of games, the outcome is determined by 1) matchup parity and 2) who draws better. You can then reduce the RNG factor by making cards that mitigate the influence of draw, like MTG's various tutor cards that let you fetch a specific card from your deck; or you can add more RNG by doing what Hearthstone does.

The classic set had it right. A select few RNG cards like Ragnaros and Sylvanas, which can be played around and somewhat countered, and whose RNG effects have a maximum bullshit potential that isn't all that high in the first place. Compared to shit like Yogg and Barnes, it's frankly inconsequential. It's the type of RNG that does make the game better (still subjective, granted) but doesn't fuck with the fundamental gameplay so much. And even if they do add the occasional bullshit card like Yogg, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. Yogg has caught a lot of flak for being the most obvious culprit, but what really does the damage in the grand scheme of things is the dozens upon dozens of cards like the Karazhan portals, Tuskarr, Mulch, etc. Putting a random effect on such a huge percentage of the game's cards is what actually makes it so that nearly every game is heavily influenced by luck. Yogg is played on average something like once every five games or whatever while those other cards are played, I dunno, five times per game. It feels as if Blizzard aren't even acknowledging this, and think that people are only complaining about Yogg specifically. There's some measure of entertainment value in Yogg, undeniably, but not in receiving a Tirion from your opponent's Mulch.

• 2Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Here's my list of cards that need to be nerfed immediately and the nerf that i would propose for each:

Yogg-Saron
10 mana, 8/8, Battlecry: Cast 3 random spells that cost (5) or less (targets chosen randomly).

Doomhammer
5 mana, 2/8, Windfury, Overload: (2), Can't attack heroes.

Tuskarr Totemic
3 mana, 3/2, Battlecry: Summon any basic Totem.

Flamewreathed Faceless
4 mana, 6/6, Overload: (2)

Call of the Wild
10 mana, Summon all three Animal Companions.

Spirit Claws
1 mana, 1/3, Has +1 Attack while you have Spell Damage.

Flamewreathed Faceless isn't even good, the top Shaman lists don't run it anymore. It just gets Executed or Freezing Trapped or you're playing against a go-wide deck where it doesn't matter because it can only kill one thing per turn. There's nothing wrong with Doomhammer either, the major offenders for Shaman are Totemic and Thing from Below.

Unfortunately, you can't nerf aggro Shaman at this point because it's literally the only thing preventing the format from becoming nothing but a half-dozen different flavors of Fill Hand, Play Thaurissan, OTK. Malygos Druid is ALREADY the top deck in the format with aggro Shaman still running around.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol. The card temporarily shifting out of the meta doesn't mean it isn't extremely overpowered. It's bad against midrange shaman but it's very good against druid, so if maly druid stays popular, aggro lists will shift right back to running double faceless.

• 1Like

ex-genj

Golden Squire
lol end of season shit. Today with I've played against mill rogue, mill druid, and MILL WARRIOR @ rank 10 because fuck mindless decks.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I really want Cabalists Tomb to be a good card, it's just not. Way too slow always. I've finally just started putting the 6/3 discover guy back in, it's so much better

• 2Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I've played a bunch of mage in the past while and could never justify using Cabalist's Tomes. It's a lottery and only good in slow matches where you can afford an almost dead turn. It can be ok against control, but against aggro it's almost always meh.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd argue that conjurer is no better, or maybe even worse than tome against aggro. 6/3 body gets taken out in a single trade, and maybe one of those three spells will be helpful. Tome is pretty much the same dead turn, but you get all three spells instead of picking the best one, so you possibly get 2 or even 3 removal spells instead of just 1.

They're both pretty bad, but mage has to take what it can get right now.

• 1Like