Hearthstone

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, I'm a cheapskate and a netdecker. I haven't spent a cent on this game, so I haven't gotten most of the big legendaries, but as a general rule, most seasons I hit around rank 5 using whatever dumbass budget FOTM there is. Right now I'm using the "midrange hunter" that runs no secrets but counts on keeping board control until you can pump out Call of the Unbalanced.

7Mx6QCI.png

I think someone posted a very similar decklist earlier on in the thread. Thing is, I have 3060 dust - are there any bang-for-your-buck legendaries anyone would recommend adding?

I have Nat Pagle, Tink, Geddon, and Maly.

Dreadscale would kill my aggro, Acidmaw is too situational and not made for this deck, and King Krush is just another 9 mana win condition - no real reason to run that instead of a Call of the Wild, and I don't know if it makes sense to make the deck a whole lot later-curving.

Maybe Princess Huhuran, but I'm really not running game-breaking deathrattles.
I like the stats on Darkfisher Nat, but in this meta with all the OTKs, I don't think it makes sense to allow any more carddraw.
Leeroy?
Harrison Jones?
Nexus-Champion Saraad?
Cairne?
Hogger?
Justicar?
Illidan?
Sylvanas?

TL;DR - Even a scrub can hit rank 5, what non-endgame neutral epics are best bang-for-buck?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You don't need any legendaries for that deck. I'd save it until there is something else you really want to play then decide

• 1Like

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
So, I'm a cheapskate and a netdecker. I haven't spent a cent on this game, so I haven't gotten most of the big legendaries, but as a general rule, most seasons I hit around rank 5 using whatever dumbass budget FOTM there is. Right now I'm using the "midrange hunter" that runs no secrets but counts on keeping board control until you can pump out Call of the Unbalanced.

View attachment 79719

I think someone posted a very similar decklist earlier on in the thread. Thing is, I have 3060 dust - are there any bang-for-your-buck legendaries anyone would recommend adding?

I have Nat Pagle, Tink, Geddon, and Maly.

Dreadscale would kill my aggro, Acidmaw is too situational and not made for this deck, and King Krush is just another 9 mana win condition - no real reason to run that instead of a Call of the Wild, and I don't know if it makes sense to make the deck a whole lot later-curving.

Maybe Princess Huhuran, but I'm really not running game-breaking deathrattles.
I like the stats on Darkfisher Nat, but in this meta with all the OTKs, I don't think it makes sense to allow any more carddraw.
Leeroy?
Harrison Jones?
Nexus-Champion Saraad?
Cairne?
Hogger?
Justicar?
Illidan?
Sylvanas?

TL;DR - Even a scrub can hit rank 5, what non-endgame neutral epics are best bang-for-buck?
You could Barnes into Sylvanas or Ragnaros, I've seen both in midrange. Leeroy is for a different kind of deck. Harrison is so good in this meta but IDK about playing it in hunter.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Flamewreathed Faceless isn't even good, the top Shaman lists don't run it anymore. It just gets Executed or Freezing Trapped or you're playing against a go-wide deck where it doesn't matter because it can only kill one thing per turn. There's nothing wrong with Doomhammer either, the major offenders for Shaman are Totemic and Thing from Below.

Unfortunately, you can't nerf aggro Shaman at this point because it's literally the only thing preventing the format from becoming nothing but a half-dozen different flavors of Fill Hand, Play Thaurissan, OTK. Malygos Druid is ALREADY the top deck in the format with aggro Shaman still running around.

Yeah, people want to target shaman cards because the class is dominating the meta numerically. None of them in a vacuum are all that broken, even Faceless. Shaman's tools all work together insanely well right now, but rotations are going to fix shaman in the long run and its clear Bliz would rather let that happen than nerf anything.

I'm maintaining that the hands down most broken recent card is call of the wild and its not even close. Shaman just gets more hate because its the tyrant of the meta and more consistent than hunter overall.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, people want to target shaman cards because the class is dominating the meta numerically. None of them in a vacuum are all that broken, even Faceless. Shaman's tools all work together insanely well right now, but rotations are going to fix shaman in the long run and its clear Bliz would rather let that happen than nerf anything.

I'm maintaining that the hands down most broken recent card is call of the wild and its not even close. Shaman just gets more hate because its the tyrant of the meta and more consistent than hunter overall.

I can agree with that. The synergy of shaman is too good just like Zoo. I think shaman is better just because you can create some decent deck variety with shaman whereas lock has Zoo...and that's really about it. I still put Yogg at one and CotW is #2. Blizzard loves ridiculous RnG though.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I HATE shaman for the rng in the class, its awful. I hate it when I play against it and I hate it when I play with it. Just had a hell of a time trying to complete a shaman quest, never the right totem, always basic totems from tuskarr, always low rolls on lightning storm when of course its just the opposite for my shaman opponents.

• 1Like

Aaubert

You don't need any legendaries for that deck. I'd save it until there is something else you really want to play then decide
OK. I'm thinking I want to sub out my Barnes. I feel as though I regularly don't get anything of value out of him. There are 17 non-Barnes minions in this deck, which means I have a 7/17 chance at something "good" popping out, 5/17 of something meh, and 5/17 of something pointless.

42021.png

4/17 chance of being a 1/1 (Houndmaster, Abusive Sergeant)
1/17 chance of being a divine shield 1/1. (Argent Squire)
1/17 chance of being a divine shield 1/1 with charge. (Argent Horserider)
1/17 chance of giving Barnes 1 extra damage, and the card to the right 1 extra damage. (Dire Wolf Alpha)
4/17 chance of doing 2 random damage after it dies. (Fiery Bat, Huge Toad)
2/17 chance at spawning 2 1/1s. (Infested Wolf)
2/17 chance at spawning 2 2/2s. (Savannah Highmane)
2/17 chance of spawning a 3/2. (Kindly Grandmother)

Those aren't great odds, and while I love it when he pops out a 1/1 Highmane, he's actually more likely to pop out a vanilla 1/1.

I'm considering Tomb Spider, Armored Warhorse, Tundra Rhino, Mukla's Champion, Stampeding Kodo or Menagerie Magician.
162.png
22312.png
27226.png

389.png
22318.png
42055.png

Any thoughts?

(Apologies for making you my livejournal how2hunter. I want to keep it at/around 4/5 mana because I really like the curve of the deck, but I don't play enough to feel like I can make an exhaustive comparison of 1 card out of 30).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been doing OK with a Yogg Control Warrior deck. Yogg, Sylvanas, Gromm, and Justicar are the only 6+ cost minions. Relies on Elise against other control decks to fill your hand with threats and relies on spells for board control against aggro decks. Yogg is also great in that case because he likely clears the board since he typically casts 10+ spells.

Legendary Warrior Fatigue Control Standard Deck

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can agree with that. The synergy of shaman is too good just like Zoo. I think shaman is better just because you can create some decent deck variety with shaman whereas lock has Zoo...and that's really about it. I still put Yogg at one and CotW is #2. Blizzard loves ridiculous RnG though.

I must have good luck against Yogg, I don't see the hate for it as much as most people. Many times my opponent will play Yogg and it won't help him worth a shit or actively fuck him up and/or lose him the game. I had a guy pyroblast himself in the face for lethal one time. That kinda fun shit going your way makes up for the games where it saves their ass IMO.

CotW you always know what you're getting. Not to mention you can run two. That card would have been an ok choice for the first legendary spell actually.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's ways to play Yogg where the majority of possible spells benefit you. That's why most people play him as a hail mary such that the board is setup in their favor(in context of random spells). For example, practically all board clears will benefit the player who is behind. Playing Yogg should be ideally in a "facing lethal" situation.

That said, it's a bullshit card.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I recommend...not replacing Barnes.
This, your 4/17 chance is just vanilla stats, the card pays for itself. Everything else there, except maybe the dire wolf alpha (which even that may be really good if barnes is not played on curve) is really good. If you get a 6/17, over 33% chance, deathrattle minion that pops out another minion your chances of winning go up significantly.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't replace Barnes either. It's one card for 4 mana that may win you the game. The games it pulls out the wolf, grandmother or lion? Usually a win when I do it How many times can you say a 4 mana 4/5 can win you the game? One top of that, it spreads your board which is important in new hunter. My goal is always to increase my odds of finding CotW and increasing board presence for that CotW. Barnes does a solid job at one of the goals.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
OK. I'm thinking I want to sub out my Barnes. I feel as though I regularly don't get anything of value out of him. There are 17 non-Barnes minions in this deck, which means I have a 7/17 chance at something "good" popping out, 5/17 of something meh, and 5/17 of something pointless.

4/17 chance of being a 1/1 (Houndmaster, Abusive Sergeant)
1/17 chance of being a divine shield 1/1. (Argent Squire)
1/17 chance of being a divine shield 1/1 with charge. (Argent Horserider)
1/17 chance of giving Barnes 1 extra damage, and the card to the right 1 extra damage. (Dire Wolf Alpha)
4/17 chance of doing 2 random damage after it dies. (Fiery Bat, Huge Toad)
2/17 chance at spawning 2 1/1s. (Infested Wolf)
2/17 chance at spawning 2 2/2s. (Savannah Highmane)
2/17 chance of spawning a 3/2. (Kindly Grandmother)

Those aren't great odds, and while I love it when he pops out a 1/1 Highmane, he's actually more likely to pop out a vanilla 1/1.

I'm considering Tomb Spider, Armored Warhorse, Tundra Rhino, Mukla's Champion, Stampeding Kodo or Menagerie Magician.

Any thoughts?

(Apologies for making you my livejournal how2hunter. I want to keep it at/around 4/5 mana because I really like the curve of the deck, but I don't play enough to feel like I can make an exhaustive comparison of 1 card out of 30).

Your deck is very aggro and your replacements are very not aggro. We don't know your whole list but you could definitely retool it and keep Barnes. Face Hunter shouldn't consider any of those options but if you're not face then you could consider Kodo or Rhino as a 1-of, just don't replace Barnes, replace Abusive/Squire/Horserider (in no particular order).

Typical list is like:

2x Bat
2x Toad
2x King's Elekk
2x Kindly
2x Kill Command
2x Animal Companion
1x OR 2x Deadly Shot
1x Rhino
2x Quickshot
2x Hounds
1x OR 2x Bow
1x OR 2x Houndmaster
1x Barnes
2x Infested Wolf
2x Highmane
2x CotW

OPTIONS
1x Grub
1x Rag
1x Sylvanas
1x OR 2x Freezing

• 1Like

Aaubert

I wouldn't replace Barnes either. It's one card for 4 mana that may win you the game. The games it pulls out the wolf, grandmother or lion? Usually a win when I do it How many times can you say a 4 mana 4/5 can win you the game? One top of that, it spreads your board which is important in new hunter. My goal is always to increase my odds of finding CotW and increasing board presence for that CotW. Barnes does a solid job at one of the goals.

So it is 4 mana for a 4/3 + a 1/1 with about a 40% chance of being good. That's certainly value. I'm not disputing that, and I'm not considering replacing it with a vanilla 4/4. I do, however, like the possibility of being able to plan a bit more. Maybe given the CotW win condition, something like Arcanosmith might actually be a good idea, which is 3/2+0/5(taunt). So, Barnes is 4/3+1/1(+something!).

I do understand that maybe I'm trying to tweak something that doesn't need tweaking. I don't mind breaking away from the expected netdeck. I'm thinking of the decks I'm losing to, and having a taunt there (which gets buffed by Alpha or Leorek, or Abusives)... could be nice.

Your deck is very aggro and your replacements are very not aggro. We don't know your whole list but you could definitely retool it and keep Barnes. Face Hunter shouldn't consider any of those options but if you're not face then you could consider Kodo or Rhino as a 1-of, just don't replace Barnes, replace Abusive/Squire/Horserider (in no particular order).

Something you bring up that I hadn't thought of.... is that any card I add which has interesting/good effects makes Barnes that much better. I'll switch a Rhino in for an Abusive...

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
So, i'm facing a lot of secret hunters around ranks 2-3. So much so that i'm thinking of teching some Secret Eaters. I've teched a Harrison Jones, to mixed effect. But i think i'd rather run a Secret Eater. It's the only class i regularly lose to on a mid-range shaman.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So it is 4 mana for a 4/3 + a 1/1 with about a 40% chance of being good. That's certainly value. I'm not disputing that, and I'm not considering replacing it with a vanilla 4/4. I do, however, like the possibility of being able to plan a bit more. Maybe given the CotW win condition, something like Arcanosmith might actually be a good idea, which is 3/2+0/5(taunt). So, Barnes is 4/3+1/1(+something!).

I do understand that maybe I'm trying to tweak something that doesn't need tweaking. I don't mind breaking away from the expected netdeck. I'm thinking of the decks I'm losing to, and having a taunt there (which gets buffed by Alpha or Leorek, or Abusives)... could be nice.

Something you bring up that I hadn't thought of.... is that any card I add which has interesting/good effects makes Barnes that much better. I'll switch a Rhino in for an Abusive...
Barnes is a 3/4 not 4/3, 3/4 is much better. So its 4 mana for 4/5 in stats, a chillwind yeti, which was a staple card in many decks before we got more cards. Arcanosmith is 3/7 in stats, but much, much, much worse bodies as 3/2 dies to just about anything, your opponent may even be able to trade into and still have a card left over at that point even; and the 0/5 body in a deck without a lot of buffers is practically useless (it will very likely die for free, in that sense the card is a 4 mana 3/2 heal for 5).

You can't tech for everything, if you say you're insterested in teching arcanosmith for the taunt, I assume that means you feel like you lose to a lot of aggro. Ok, lets say you do that. Well you may have just increased your win rate 1-2% in that matchup, but you undoubtedly will drop 3-4% against mid-range/control. So decks that were good matchups for you before are now just ok and your bad matchup still isn't much better for you.

• 1Like