Hearthstone

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I saw mostly Baku Paladins & Hunters last night at rank 3. I am 3-0 vs Shudderwock so far, all with the deck above.
Control/Cubelocks were next most common, played 3-4 of them. Control lock destroyed my deck and I still won with a full board Scarabs+2x Savage Roar, punched through 3 Voidwalkers as well. I am around 50% vs warlock though, the cubelock version is tough to beat.

I did go on an unlucky lose streak after winning about 10 straight.

Right now seems like there's a ton of garbage on ladder and I don't see anything particularly dominant yet. Cancer decks are prevalent but I do believe there are some Control lists that will put them in check. The Hunter/Paladin lists are glass cannons.

Baku Quest Warrior seems legit and Mage has some Control options as well.

I don't like the Shudderwock list everyone is playing, seems too gimmicky. It's such a long setup and leaves you vulnerable. I think there's a better list coming that is going to really dominate.

I also just hope they nerf him by nerfing Chain Gang. Shudderwock can still be good without having infinite copies.

I only played a little last night for the first time in a few months so back to Rank 15 at the moment. Boku Paladin steamrolls shudderwock because like you say. It takes forever to setup.

Putting together my Boku Quest Warrior tonight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I caved and crafted shudderwock since I was already gifted hagatha (don't have Grumble). I must just have serious bad luck in this game because in probably 10 games so far, shudderwock only saw play in 3 of them. Hagatha was more of the mvp in games i've won, the constant shaman spells start to snowball pretty quick. I tried a tempo rogue with Tess but in 2 games ran into 2 aggro decks and just got ran down before I could really do much.

So far in most of the games I've played so far, almost every other game featured Baku.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I am going to craft Prince 2 and Lady in White.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Baku Quest Warrior seems legit and Mage has some Control options as well.

I'm less than impressed by it. I guess my build is too aggresively getting quest completed. I feel like the extra armor buffer early on is negated by what you give up, especially since when you play the quest the improved hero power is overwritten. I really dislike giving up Blood Razor and Execute.

Also with everything being higher mana values, your mana efficiency is shit when you are trying to use the 2 mana hero power every turn. Baku is fine with aggro decks running low cost cards, because they can fill in those mana gaps and get the most out of every turn. With quest warrior I was leaving mana on the table almost every turn, which just kills the efficiency of the boosted hero power.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm less than impressed by it. I guess my build is too aggresively getting quest completed. I feel like the extra armor buffer early on is negated by what you give up, especially since when you play the quest the improved hero power is overwritten. I really dislike giving up Blood Razor and Execute.

Also with everything being higher mana values, your mana efficiency is shit when you are trying to use the 2 mana hero power every turn. Baku is fine with aggro decks running low cost cards, because they can fill in those mana gaps and get the most out of every turn. With quest warrior I was leaving mana on the table almost every turn, which just kills the efficiency of the boosted hero power.

Well only saw a little of Dog playing it last night and he also was against it quite a few times. It seemed like it CAN work, but control lists normally take longer to refine.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ravishing Ravishing , your deck is ridiculous. All I've seen are aggro decks with what little time I've had to play. Shudderwock has no chance in this environment so tried your deck. It goes wide, deep, long, whatever you need. Really fun deck and I can't believe how good the aggro decks are already.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Well only saw a little of Dog playing it last night and he also was against it quite a few times. It seemed like it CAN work, but control lists normally take longer to refine.

Yeah like I said, I think my build is too taunt heavy. In the past I was used to rushing for the quest and using Rag hero power to stabilize and start thinning out threats pushing through what taunts I had left. With the boosted armor you can definitely play a slower game, let aggro deck fill the board a little more before a brawl, etc. The armor boost does make Shield Slam and Reckless Flurry fantastic.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing , your deck is ridiculous. All I've seen are aggro decks with what little time I've had to play. Shudderwock has no chance in this environment so tried your deck. It goes wide, deep, long, whatever you need. Really fun deck and I can't believe how good the aggro decks are already.

Nice! It definitely needs some refinement, but seems to perform well, especially against the other aggro deck.
I played against a Hand Druid that had Twilight Drakes/Faceless Manips/Sea Giants... seemed good, beat me, but I also drew very bad.
I also had issues with too much draw in hand and not enough stuff to play. Like having 2x UI / Nourish and 7 cards in hand. I reduced 1x UI and 1x Nourish for 2x Branching Paths... I like Branching for the +2 attack / Armor / Draw flexibility. I think it's a good option.

But I also see how Drakes/Sea Giants could fit... so need to tinker some more

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm gonna try and craft it the next time I get in game! Sounds fun!

• 1Like

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
On a 5 game win streak with a self-made Hand Druid deck. Beating lots of Hunters, a warlock, a shudderwock...

Just cruised through Rank 4 to hit 3:

### Hand Flood
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Wild Growth
# 2x (2) Witchwood Apple
# 2x (2) Wrath
# 2x (3) Ferocious Howl
# 2x (3) Savage Roar
# 2x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (4) Wispering Woods
# 2x (5) Living Mana
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (6) Spreading Plague
# 1x (7) Malfurion the Pestilent
# 2x (10) Ultimate Infestation
# 1x (12) Mountain Giant
#
AAECAZICAuEHmdMCDkBf/QL3A+YFxAbkCIbBAuvCAqDNAofOAtfvAr/yAsHzAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

View attachment 164743

I like it, although I immediately cut a soul of the forest and the fire fly's.

After about ten games the giant seems really clunky.
Odd Paladin deck is just stronger and more reliable.
I'm not convinced that it's better than old dude paladin either since they can run concecrate and you cannot.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I like it, although I immediately cut a soul of the forest and the fire fly's.

After about ten games the giant seems really clunky.

I'm not convinced that it's better than old dude paladin either since they can run concecrate and you cannot.

Yea I cut the giant from 2x to 1x because it was a bit clunky. I got it out turn 3 maybe 3 times in 15 games. I think Sea Giants might be better.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am highly amused that my joke about using bad-cost-redux elemental to set up bad-Brann-elemental + Shudderwok turns ended up being correct. Memes are reality.

• 2Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Alright, day 2 Witchwood meta review based on the few hunter decks that i've played/tried! :D

• Baku SMOrc Hunter is as AIDS as it gets. Once the deck gets refined, i think it'll be pretty competitive and played by many who want quick wins and laddering. It's arguably the most boring shit to play though, so i don't plan on touching it again.
  • Quest Hunter is too slow to be an aggressive deck and has too little value to play the long game.
    • Not having any big threats really hurts later on. The 3/2 raptors can be annoying, but most of the time you're just top-decking them, hoping to chain, and coming up short.
    • I've tried it with the Keleseth/Rexxar package and with Baku - i just don't see it working out.
  • I'm currently trying out a Secret Hunter iteration similar to what was played on ladder last season and that includes Kathrena Winterwisp for super swings and some big threats. Pulling King Krush is the jackpot, but pulling any of the other beasts is also huge. Will review in more depth once i get more games in. Deck list is in the link (Hunter - Deckbuilder - HearthPwn).
Cubelock has been about 30% of my games, Hunter is about 15% and the rest are balanced out.

Edit: Failed to mention the most important part: Rexxar DK is pretty fucking OP. The rush/lifeleech beast is an autopick and provides huge value.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am sad that the only deck that appeals to my playstyle is shudd. Gross. I hope something non smorc and non warlock is discovered soon.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have to say that the Druid deck Ravishing built does pretty damn well. That might be as good as Druid gets for the moment. I am not sold yet on Shudd but can easily see him becoming more powerful with even better Battlecry creatures. I do see a nerf coming for the 2/3 taunt guy just because of how it interacts with Shudd.

Warlock is still....Warlock. Cubelock does just fine.

I have seen a few Baku Hunters but I find the Paladin one much more annoying.

Mage is trying to do something but I have not seen the deck yet.

Warrior makes me cry

Rogue has a few tricks but not enough to stop the power decks.

Priest is the class I am surprised not to have seen a lot of yet. I tried a Lady deck and I even put in the two cost Pump up as well. I figure I usually can draw one of those two within the first few rounds.

It is always fun in the beginning.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Not sure I agree with quest hunter not being good. Maybe it has less good matchups, but I don't lose to fuckface Jabbawocky Shaman shitfest at least. I usually overwhelm the board a couple turns before the afk turn.

• 1Like