Hearthstone

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someday something will happen and everyone will want a Nozdormu. Then you will regret DE'ing that golden.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just started last week Brand. Bought $20 worth of decks and cleared Naxx (except for KT) to get those cards as well. Got up to Rank 19 so far, but I can't make pretty much any of the decks I see posted here. Only legendary I have is "The Beast". (And Maexxna and Stag/Fueggen I guess).

Column_sl

shitlord
Well I would immediately Disenchant the Beast. That's 800 right there.

The goal should be getting 1600 for Leeroy, which is pretty damn easy if you do your dailies every day. Then you can craft a shit load of decks. Honestly you could play Hunter Scientist right now, but without the Leeroy combo it's much tougher.

Nax Zoo is pretty cheap.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
DO I really want leeroy over Rag?

I don?t get why leeroy is so good. Sure he is a great finisher, but cant you use the 5/2 charge common with the same utility and no pesky 1/1 summons if you fail to finish? If Leeroy is a finisher doesn?t that mitigate some the cheaper cost because you would typically use him later in the game when cost is less of an issue?. I am sure I am missing something and appreciate the advice.

As I said I really only have malygos and BK so I am keen on a new legend!

Edit ? Malygos with my priest deck was very fun. 7 Dmg smites own.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well deing a legendary gives you 400 dust, but yeah, you could probably make a zoo deck with your cards and 400 dust.

@Nester depends on what you want to play. If you want to continue playing your hunter, then yes, definitely leeroy. If you want to continue playing your priest then sylvanas or rag, sylvanas fits into more decks.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I just started last week Brand. Bought $20 worth of decks and cleared Naxx (except for KT) to get those cards as well. Got up to Rank 19 so far, but I can't make pretty much any of the decks I see posted here. Only legendary I have is "The Beast". (And Maexxna and Stag/Fueggen I guess).
"The Beast" is garbage...Toss him and take the dust. Legendary cards are important for high level play, but at this point you should be grinding Arena (which is tougher late in the season...lots of good players who aren't laddering spend time in it), or just grinding out on ladder for experience and the 10 gold per 3 wins. Make sure you reroll all 40 gold quests...Every so often you get the 100 gold quest.

Anyway, a lot of decks are cheap and workable for ladder up until rank 13-14...And some are good beyond that.

I think the basic deck is:

2 Soulfire
2 Imp
2 Voidwalker
2 DoomGuard (arguably the most important 2 cards in the deck)
2 Mortal Coil (I'm a little meh on these...I like the Void Terror and Eggs in my latest version)
2 Abusive Sergeants
2 Argent Squires (you can add a blood knight in some versions...I think it isn't good in the meta and I'm not a fan of these atm)
2 shield bearer (meh)
2 dire wolf
2 knife jugglers (so good!)
2 harvest golem
2 shattered sun cleric
2 dark Iron Dwarf
2 Defender of ARgus

Obviously, you can substitute a lot of cards into this...

The most important thing to remember...Don't start throwing slow stuff into this deck...The reason it works is because it is a relentless tempo grabber. Once you get better with it you can vary your play, but just swarm the fuck out of people at the start.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok so if I should be focusing on arena to improve my deck as fast as possible... Should I just be going by the tier-list and picking the top tier card out of the three every time? Unless its like a 7 mana card when i've already got 4 of those? Or should I be trying to make an actual deck like Zoo if I draw Warlock?

My Arena Experience So Far:

#1 - 0 Wins
#2 - 1 Win
#3 - 2 Wins

At least i've improved every time... hahah.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so if I should be focusing on arena to improve my deck as fast as possible... Should I just be going by the tier-list and picking the top tier card out of the three every time? Unless its like a 7 mana card when i've already got 4 of those? Or should I be trying to make an actual deck like Zoo if I draw Warlock?

My Arena Experience So Far:

#1 - 0 Wins
#2 - 1 Win
#3 - 2 Wins

At least i've improved every time... hahah.
Pick the best card that fits into your curve. Arena and constructed are two different animals, do not try and "draft" a zoo deck because you will not get to pick from the cards needed to make a zoo deck. Tempo is very important in arena because you have no guarantee of having those late game tempo changers that allow those decks to get away with it in constructed. So generally, you'll want more 2/3 drops in arena than constructed.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
DO I really want leeroy over Rag?

I don't get why leeroy is so good. Sure he is a great finisher, but cant you use the 5/2 charge common with the same utility and no pesky 1/1 summons if you fail to finish? If Leeroy is a finisher doesn't that mitigate some the cheaper cost because you would typically use him later in the game when cost is less of an issue?. I am sure I am missing something and appreciate the advice.

As I said I really only have malygos and BK so I am keen on a new legend!

Edit - Malygos with my priest deck was very fun. 7 Dmg smites own.
No, you don't. Ragnoros is more versatile and way more fun. Leeroy is going to be nerfed eventually. Column is a little over obsessed with Leeroy. Yes is it "almost" an auto include in a lot of decks, but he's not "that" fun and he's not "fully versatile" for a new player. Ragnoros should be your first craft as a new player imo. He will do more for you. Leeroy is a good craft once you have a decent collection of rates and a couple epics. Strictly speaking, Leeroy is better, but Rag is better for a new player and more fun.

Also, there's too much talk of "crafting your first legendary" and not enough talk about "crafting your first few epics". 4 epics will do you far more good than 1 legendary. I'd craft key epics first imo.

As far as my KT Ramp not being viable in the current meta. As I said, it's a fun deck... that being said, it's doing surprisingly well. Smashed several Hunters earlier despite not getting any of my Wild Growths. It's just so much fun to play. Don't really care how viable it is in the meta right now since the meta right now is incredibly repetitive and bland anyways.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Column is correct...If basic play is still a challenge (I just assume everyone is an experienced player...) then definitely just ladder with whatever basic deck you can build. You will get your ass kicked a lot, but it is the best option atm.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I disagree. Typical worst case scenario is you'll *slightly* overpay for your pack, and Arena will teach you a LOT about the game, more-so than constructed. You'll quickly get to the point where you're reliably at least breaking even on the pack expense (something like 2-3 wins?), which as long as you're enjoying arena play, is just fine.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
No, you don't. Ragnoros is more versatile and way more fun. Leeroy is going to be nerfed eventually. Column is a little over obsessed with Leeroy. Yes is it "almost" an auto include in a lot of decks, but he's not "that" fun and he's not "fully versatile" for a new player. Ragnoros should be your first craft as a new player imo. He will do more for you. Leeroy is a good craft once you have a decent collection of rates and a couple epics.
With the current state of the game, I'd argue that TBK is the must build. However, I'd put leeroy in 2nd and Rag in third. That says something about my playstyle. Ultimately, craft what works best for you. If you play beatdown, then get a leeroy...If you like control variants then Rag. TBK is almost an auto-include in all decks atm.

I also don't see Leeroy getting nerfed...If it was going to happen, it would have happened long ago.

Column_sl

shitlord
Before Nax, Leeroy was 100% better then rag to get first. Not sure yet on after Nax yet since everything has slowed down abit.

They're both equally good, and I doubt they would have waited this long to nerf that card. I would argue that Leeroy is easier to stick in any cheap weenie face deck then Rag is tho with the slower decks.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
With the current state of the game, I'd argue that TBK is the must build. However, I'd put leeroy in 2nd and Rag in third. That says something about my playstyle. Ultimately, craft what works best for you. If you play beatdown, then get a leeroy...If you like control variants then Rag. TBK is almost an auto-include in all decks atm.

I also don't see Leeroy getting nerfed...If it was going to happen, it would have happened long ago.
TBK isn't first craft because of the ranks at which he matters.

Neph_sl

shitlord
They're both equally good, and I doubt they would have waited this long to nerf that card. I would argue that Leeroy is easier to stick in any cheap weenie face deck then Rag is tho with the slower decks.
I agree. Rag is great in control decks, but if you're just starting and don't have the control cards you need yet, then it'll be hard to get to the point where you play Rag and you're not behind.

i.e. I'd craft Leeroy first.

edit: although with the Naxx cards, this may have changed. I haven't played much constructed recently.

Column_sl

shitlord
There really hasn't been one season of Hearthstone where Leeroy wasn't one of the top cards going all the way back to Alpha.

And you 100% need him for Miracle. So I would say he is still the best Legendary right now, because Miracle is still extremely strong.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Again, craft epics first imo. Maybe get your first legendary just to have one, but work on key epics first, particularly if you have one or two classes you are dedicated to. For example, x2 Ancient of Lore and x1 Big Game Hunter and x1 Faceless Manipulator is far, far greater than Ragnoros or Leeroy or whomever. Plus cards like Faceless will allow you to play with your opponents legendaries anyways.