Hearthstone

So as a brand new player can I reasonably progress as a f2p guy or is it time to break out the credit card? Really not looking to spend a ton of money, but wondering how painful it is without spending any.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Without spending any at all? Very painful. At the very least I'd recommend shelling out the cash for Naxxramas, even if you aren't going to buy any boosters. Naxx includes a lot of staples in many decks.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
As another recent new player, if I did it all over again I would buy Naxx immediately then farm dailies and do arenas. Maybe drop some money on classic packs since they aren't arena rewards any longer.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Naxx is almost required to be competitive, even if just for Belcher.

Other than that it's not too painful really if you spam Arena whenever you can and focus on building 1 deck at a time, starting with the least costed. Like Zoo/Hunter decks. If you like control, you should probably look into Mage. Mage can build some really cheap and effective control decks.

If you don't like a particular class I would recommend disenchanting all the cards for that class so you can build up a list for another class. Like warlock for example doesn't even use many of their class cards even in Zoo. It's like 5 class cards and 25 neutrals. I disenchanted Priest/Rogue for the longest time cause they were considered bad and I didn't enjoy them. Disenchant dupes that you would never need. Like I had 2 Pyroblasts and would disenchant the 2nd cause a mage never takes 2 Pyro. Disenchant golds until you have a few solid decks (except I would never disenchant gold legendary, they are so rare).

Disclaimer: I've since spent a bit of money on the game.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I thought it was a good idea to hold onto any extra GvG cards for awhile while everything gets balanced. When a card gets nerfed/changed you get the full value in dust right?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yes but the nerfbat comes around so rarely you might be waiting a while, and it's hard to say which cards will be hit. Im sure tons of people stockpiled undertakers, for example.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Can't stockpile undertakers. They are Naxx cards so nobody has more than 4 (2 regular and 2 golden).

It's too early in GvG to know what is OP right now and, as was said before, nerds are pretty rare. If you need dust now, disenchant away. If you're not pressed for anything, you can hold onto extras.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
oops my bad
biggrin.png

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Without spending any at all? Very painful. At the very least I'd recommend shelling out the cash for Naxxramas, even if you aren't going to buy any boosters. Naxx includes a lot of staples in many decks.
It's not that painful at all. Do some research, get a little practice in and head into the arena. You'll get enough to put together one of the competitive cheap decks very quickly.

Oh wait, no you won't because Blizzard's dumbass forces you to only get GvG packs from arena.

Sorry new playerbase, you are boned.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The change to Arena makes it a little more painful but in actuality it's rare as fuck to get the exact cards you need from packs. You are going to be crafting them to fill out your first few decks. You still get cards you can disenchant in arena so it's still fine. Mech decks are pretty strong, too, so GvG isn't going to hurt you tbh.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So as a brand new player can I reasonably progress as a f2p guy or is it time to break out the credit card? Really not looking to spend a ton of money, but wondering how painful it is without spending any.
Also depends how much you want to play. If you want to play sparingly, doing your dailies in the arena is a very good way to start. However, if you're like most video game players, this is my game, I want to play just this, you're in for a rough time as f2p.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
This is a personal gripe but how does EVERY Druid I play with always have Innervate + Shade in their opening hand? I have a hard time mulliganing for one card but they need two and yet they ALWAYS get it.

So with all that said I really like Warnock out of all the classes. Got to rank nineteen just using a lock deck with some fast cheap creatures, good removal, and gurabashi zerker/boulderfist for killing. So basically buy naxx and farm arena while disenchanting class I don't like to build up the lock deck? Probably going to work on Paladin or mage as well since I liked both of their styles.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The change to Arena makes it a little more painful but in actuality it's rare as fuck to get the exact cards you need from packs. You are going to be crafting them to fill out your first few decks. You still get cards you can disenchant in arena so it's still fine. Mech decks are pretty strong, too, so GvG isn't going to hurt you tbh.
GvG is going to hurt you because it's very limiting. It's certainly not going to make things better.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You happen to have picked one of the cheaper competitive decks(zoo lock). I'd be fine with that plan if dailies were more conducive to picking one class. Nothing more frustrating than rerolling dailies for 3 days and still staring down 3 2-5 win dailies with classes you hate or you know your collection sucks.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I've just started playing as well. I've made some pretty nice progress with a paladin deck (look for Trumps lvl 10 Basic) in ranked, shot to R19 very quickly (6-7 wins). You don't need to have spent a dime to make that deck. I used my free arena to get a run, got 4 wins before I got knocked out, paid gold for another run and got knocked out with only 1 win. Total of 2 GvG decks. Picked up a free pack for doing a game on an Android. I've since bought Naxx and a few packs because I'm really enjoying it.

I'm a long way off the top tier netdecks and the shit that streamers play, but that doesn't bother me at the moment, I'm sure it will if I want to hit Legend. So if you just want to play, have a good time and not get too precious about it, no, you really don't need to spend any cash. If you want to rush the shit out of the ladder, yeah, you need to bust out that CC.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So with all that said I really like Warnock out of all the classes. Got to rank nineteen just using a lock deck with some fast cheap creatures, good removal, and gurabashi zerker/boulderfist for killing. So basically buy naxx and farm arena while disenchanting class I don't like to build up the lock deck? Probably going to work on Paladin or mage as well since I liked both of their styles.
Warlock doesn't need many class cards at all. In fact to make a zoo deck you only need to craft 2x Doomguards. All of the other class cards are basics that you should have already. Most of the other warlock cards you can disenchant to create the neutrals you'll need.

The best neutrals to work on (imo) which can be used in a large variety of decks (rush or control) would be:
Harvest Golem
Defender of Argus
Annoy-o-Tron
Ironbeak Owl
Loot Hoarder
Mechwarper
Sunfury Protector
Earthen Ring Farseer

I did not include any basics or naxx cards, there's a lot of really good naxx cards.

Edit: For the new guys, this post is currently top on reddit,Attention: New players. How to create a viable deck when starting out, so you don't have to come here and complain 24/7 about your card base. : hearthstone

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was a good idea to hold onto any extra GvG cards for awhile while everything gets balanced. When a card gets nerfed/changed you get the full value in dust right?
Yeah, but to a certain degree. I'm holding on to certain cards that have at least a small chance at being nerfed, but I'm not holding onto everything entirely. E.g. I'm holding onto Muster for Battle, Floating Watcher, Ancient Healbot, Quartermaster, Micro Machine, Unstable Portal... shit like that. Basically just cards that are good or are still hard to get a read on. Doing this in the past has netted me a shit ton of dust.