Hearthstone

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
Really digging the mages damage. Then again, I can't really be surprised with anything Blizzard does with a mage class.

I recognize a ton of art they used from the wow ccg. Saves money I guess.
I haven't gotten into the beta but it doesn't look that great from watching streams.
I've played scrolls and duel of champions, and this doesn't look much different except the ip, which brings in a lot of scrubs to beat up for xp I guess. Game will make a ton of money since its Blizzard.
It initially looks to me like this game has less strategy than the other recent online card games. Scrolls and duels had spells based on positioning on the board, doesn't seem to be much of that here. Just a couple adjacent minions gets + bonus. Maybe the booster have some. But there's no board here, you just play your guys out in the middle and build out from there.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Having never played a TCG before, I find this pretty easy to get into. There's definitely strategy involved in deck building and having a general idea of what your opponent could play vs what you have left in your hand, but I assume that's something that's true in all TCGs. I guess since I like this so much I should check out some of the more complex varieties that are out there, but honestly sometimes I just want the quick 5-10 min match that hearthstone has to offer.

How long are matches in other TCGs likes Scrolls and Duel of Champions?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
It initially looks to me like this game has less strategy than the other recent online card games. Scrolls and duels had spells based on positioning on the board, doesn't seem to be much of that here. Just a couple adjacent minions gets + bonus. Maybe the booster have some. But there's no board here, you just play your guys out in the middle and build out from there.
How long have those games been out also? Look at M:TG when it first came out and now. The game can and probably will evolve.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not getting into beta for this, has made me really want to get some of the MTG games on Steam, but have no idea where to start with those, and the expansions.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Wanted to play, was very tempted to play, but the pay 2 win kills games for me. If someone is better than me because of their credit card then the game is shit.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Not getting into beta for this, has made me really want to get some of the MTG games on Steam, but have no idea where to start with those, and the expansions.
The latest Magic is the least fun imo. 2012 was good and 2013 was decent as well. Most of the extras are just for unlocking decks early which is fine but then you lose some of the fun of receiving cards as well.

Though honestly if you're just craving Magic and don't really care about what people have to say, any of the Magic (2012, 13, 14) are fine games.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pay to win? So you are taking a stand as not liking ccg's at all then? You realize that you can craft specific cards in Hearthstone so there is no reason you won't be able to play exactly the deck you want.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Pay to win? So you are taking a stand as not liking ccg's at all then? You realize that you can craft specific cards in Hearthstone so there is no reason you won't be able to play exactly the deck you want.
I like CCGs that are not pay 2 win which are few and far between. After playing MtG for years I will not be the person sinking more money than a game deserves. I'd rather have a small monthly sub with a limited in game purchase, maybe like a certain amount of $$ spent monthly to maintain balance.

Sure you can game the system like people do in all those CCG mobile games, but a lot of people still spend money.

Not like it matters because the game is fun, but being good used to mean something and it wasn't about buying the best deck.

heyholetsgo_sl

shitlord
Just got into the beta on monday. Playing on a surface pro. playing with the stylus is very very smooth. Almost like it was made to be played this way. Its a little choppy, but thats a small price to pay to able to play on a tablet reclining on the couch while watching tv.

Crone

The latest Magic is the least fun imo. 2012 was good and 2013 was decent as well. Most of the extras are just for unlocking decks early which is fine but then you lose some of the fun of receiving cards as well.

Though honestly if you're just craving Magic and don't really care about what people have to say, any of the Magic (2012, 13, 14) are fine games.
Thanks for the tips. I've got some Steam credit, so I might give them a shot just to mess around on a card game.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They need to alter the rate at which F2P can accrue cards, or this is gonna flop. but they claim they're looking into that. Right now, you can get a pack per HUNDRED wins, which is only 5 cards. So basically, buck fifty, or 40 hours. sounds legit. Needs to be like a pack an hour if you're winning if you want people to actually play it f2P (which you need to keep the community alive, and those players will supplement with real packs if they're playing).

gameplaywise, lack of instants makes some things really bullshit. I get why they don't have them, but the legendaries are literally pay to win in some situations. I don't care how good you are or how well your deck is made, the ability to bring out one of the broken legendaries and immediately stealth it, leaves you unable to deal with it with most decks. I had an opponent at like 6 hp, basically 1-2 turns out depending on what I drew, while I had like 19 life, and had that big of a swing in a single turn EVEN THOUGH I had removal waiting in my hand for him to drop bombs. Assassinate, Backstab, and Betrayal in hand, like the best removal in the game, even if I'd had something like a fan of knives it wouldn't have saved me. To me, that's a sign that, yeah, legendaries are fun to have be op, when you can counter them. But there's LITERALLY nothing I could do. Super fucking annoying.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lack of instants is crippling in Scrolls too imo. Having the entire game be shut off during opponents turns has never felt good in any CCG, ever.

And yes, the Legendaries are obviously p2w, especially considering their drop rate. Unless something drastic happens to allow f2p legendary acquisition, or to fix the rate of f2p acquisition in general, I don't see myself sticking with this.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The first couple days when you are unlocking basic cards and getting a few rares in the process feels good time-per-card wise. But once you get past that and actually start hunting for the decent cards you want... yeah card acquisition slows to a fucking CRAWL. I agree with the one pack per hour guideline, maybe even one pack per two hours. Non-arena wins need to give more gold too, I have to play and win 150 games to play in one arena, are you fucking kidding me?

The daily quests help a tiny bit with this, but even they need to be bumped up to like 45-50g.

They are looking at the amount of money people dump into MTGO and using that as a baseline, but they need to wake up and realize that for the wider market appeal they want for this, the barrier for entry needs to be lowered drastically and the incentives to keep playing after the first week need to be raised considerably.

I'm ok with the good legendaries as long as you can disenchant garbage cards into dust and convert the dust into the legendaries at a REASONABLE pace, say 1 a week, 2 if you're really putting forth the effort. This still gives the game longevity and gives people something to actually look forward to upon logging in.

Crone

Has their been any indication of when the game will launch? Are they looking at 2014, or trying to push it out still this year?