Hearthstone

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Jesus everytime I see Jesse Cox he is getting bigger and bigger. WTF is he eating humans?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The draft mode is addicting as shit. But building deck and actually acquiring cards seems pointless.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ya I think they've monetized this a little too well. I have almost no drive to want to play in "play" mode because I can make a deck that I win with several times for every loss that I suffer. The arena is gambling not only your draft/deck, but also your opponent's. That freshness and randomness creates a heightened level of intrigue and enjoyment (or, conversely, frustration if you're a bad arena player) that Play mode simply can't compete with.

One can only hope that they have another game mode up their sleeves that helps to bridge the gap between Play and Arena.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I also really enjoy the arena, but more because it gives me the advanced cards to play with in deck building. I have a lot of ideas for some decks I want to try based on the half-assed arena decks I've been piecing together. Looking at my stash though I have like none of the cards from the arena pool, just the common stuff everyone gets for leveling to 10.

I spent a few dollars to get the beta golden card, but I don't feel like sinking much more cash into the game for packs, which may or may not even have the cards I want. Obtaining them through arena would take something like a year or whatever of grinding daily. I understand this is the entire basis TCG games are built on, but without trading or spending cash, it's just too hard to get the cards for non-arena games.

Blizzard needs to find a way to let us trade cards among our friends. Make it so that you can only trade among people you have been real-id friended to for 3+ months to limit RMT? There has to be ways to make it work.

Another thing is I had a blast playing through the tutorial, with the misc banter among the popular wow npcs. More of that would be welcome.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Playing Priest vs Priest in Arena right now, and He MC'ed a 5/8 taunter I had buffed up, next turn I MC'ed it right back, next turn he MC'ed it back to his side.

Wtf.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Another thing is I had a blast playing through the tutorial, with the misc banter among the popular wow npcs. More of that would be welcome.
When you play Cairne's Legendary card against Garrosh he says something about not being worthy to lead the horde. I'm not sure if there are any more card/hero interactions like that.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
The draft mode is addicting as shit. But building deck and actually acquiring cards seems pointless.
This so much.
frown.png
It sucks.

Elerion

N00b
I spent a few dollars to get the beta golden card, but I don't feel like sinking much more cash into the game for packs, which may or may not even have the cards I want. Obtaining them through arena would take something like a year or whatever of grinding daily. I understand this is the entire basis TCG games are built on, but without trading or spending cash, it's just too hard to get the cards for non-arena games.
I decided to blow ?18 on 15 packs last night because why not. I got one legendary and like 3-4 epics. Even with the 10+ packs I've won from arena and gold, I'm not even close to having all the common cards I need to build a decent deck, not to mention the rares, epics and legendaries. Considering the rewards from Play are so much lower than Arena even if you win all your games, and it's easy to go infinite in the Arena, it doesn't really make any sense to build a deck. I can finish the daily quests by just playing unranked with the default decks anyway.

They should introduce automated constructed tournaments. One queue for budget decks, one for unlimited rarity.

Caliane

yeah. got in yesterday evening.

didn't pay too much attention to the threads/streams, so went in fairly blind.

the UI on play/practice/arena is weak. I kindof had no idea what each was. Building decks same thing.
playing the default mage deck it says you unlock cards, but I never see them pop up. so I guess those are not added to the default deck.

Did play for something like 10 games, before backing out, and looking at practice, at which point THERE it tells me I can unlock decks in practice. (wish I had known that earlier)

went something like 15/2 in "play" with default mage.
deck is a basic small creature deck. a few taunts, and nukes. most wins come on raid leader + attack, I found. fireball and polymorph wrecking most large summons, or special action summons.

Before I logged out, I did find the custom deck building. Put together a +spell power deck. no idea how effective it will be. +spell power minions, taunt minions to protect them. and some freeze, and damage spells. primary concern is lack of direct attacks. and minion clearing spells on the other side, will wipe out all the +spell power.

the two I lost to were a priest and druid.
Priest utterly wrecked me. I don't remember the exact. but I think I went first. but had shit cards. had to pass. he pulled out a footman and pw:s I think. making it 1/4. I probably pulled a 2/1 murloc next.
he then 2 northshire clerics. I had arcane nova, and the like. completely useless.
clerics with 3 defense for 1 mana, and that effect are insane. He was drawing 2 cards every turn after,healing his footman. which I couldn't kill for like 4 turns. couldnt even plink it down do to the healing.
pull out a turtle. sw
tongue.png
. 2 mana to kill a 4 mana minion. pull out a big gun. sw:d for 3 mana.
Shit was just brutal.

Mana costs on priest cards seem really low for their effects.

Druid was closer. he took the game late. with a swipe, that cleared my field. and then just drained my hand with strong late game counters, till I hand an empty hand, and was just pulling 1 card at a time.

Also yeah, this just makes me want to play a good MTG online client.
lack of a defense phase is really weird to me. I dont like the feel of not saving mana, or having to plan for a defend phase. More secret/trap cards I guess would feel better.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I decided to blow ?18 on 15 packs last night because why not. I got one legendary and like 3-4 epics. Even with the 10+ packs I've won from arena and gold, I'm not even close to having all the common cards I need to build a decent deck, not to mention the rares, epics and legendaries. Considering the rewards from Play are so much lower than Arena even if you win all your games, and it's easy to go infinite in the Arena, it doesn't really make any sense to build a deck. I can finish the daily quests by just playing unranked with the default decks anyway.

They should introduce automated constructed tournaments. One queue for budget decks, one for unlimited rarity.
Crafting commons and even rares isn't too expensive if you're willing to disenchant golden cards and rares/epics from classes you know you'll rarely/never use (or shitty neutral cards like angry chicken).

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish I could refund my money into gold that I spent buying packs.

Arena is so much more fun it's not even funny. The only thing I want the actual cards for is to make theme decks or funny gimmick decks like the Warrior Molten Giant Charge deck.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I got into beta this past weekend and have played various decks. I think the one thing I really don't like about this game is the ability to heal a minion well beyond it's original stats.

Example, I have a priest deck and was playing against a mage. T1 the mage arcane missles me for 3dmg. Then I played the OP Northshire Cleric T1 and the mage pings it on his T2. My T2 I heal it and it becomes a 1/4 and I draw a card. I eventually get my Northsire Cleric up to a 1/9 and have draw a boatload of cards off of it.

That has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen in a CCG/TCG. Is this a bug or is this legit?

Oh the other dumb thing is you can only have so many minions on the battle field and if it's full, you can't summon any more. I was playing a deck where it spits out 1/1 dudes and once my board was "FULL" I couldn't play any minions from my hand. Another dumb feature.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been playing this for a few days now, it is really addicting and a nice change from mmos. Went 9-2 and 7-2 with druid and warlock decks in arena. At 7-2 i got a 1 pack some dust and 150 gold which is nice. I got 180 gold 55 dust and 1 pack at 9-2. So if you can get good at arena there is no reason to buy cards it keeps paying for itself. Anyone go undefeated yet, ie 9-0? And if so are the rewards even better?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Example, I have a priest deck and was playing against a mage. T1 the mage arcane missles me for 3dmg. Then I played the OP Northshire Cleric T1 and the mage pings it on his T2. My T2 I heal it and it becomes a 1/4 and I draw a card. I eventually get my Northsire Cleric up to a 1/9 and have draw a boatload of cards off of it.

That has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen in a CCG/TCG. Is this a bug or is this legit?
I thought you could only heal things up to their current max HP. Were you healing with the priest class ability? I'll have to check into that.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I thought you could only heal things up to their current max HP. Were you healing with the priest class ability? I'll have to check into that.
Not sure what you were doing but you weren't "healing" it with your hero ability. You can only heal up to the max HP. Sounds like you were just buffing it's HP up with things like PW:S or Divine Spirit.

Neph_sl

shitlord
So I got into beta this past weekend and have played various decks. I think the one thing I really don't like about this game is the ability to heal a minion well beyond it's original stats.

Totally legit. If you have aLightspawn+ twoDivine Spirits, you can get a 20/20 creature on turn five. It's ridiculous, but it's why Lightspawn is a high priority target for removal. Similarly, Northshire Cleric is only a 1/3, so it's a good idea to use your removal on that card. Silence works too.

Caliane

pw:S does +2 health, and draw a card.
so, 1/3 start. mage hits it for 1. 1/2. he plays pw:s, 1/4. dunno if divine spirits double life, will double the ps:s bonus for 1/8.

Maxing the battlefield definitely sounds lame. But that in general is kindof one of the limits of this game. It is hard to build really varied or theme decks it seems. like an army of 1/1's that maybe buff each other. murlocs, etc. everyone does have a "kill all minons" card. and with a limit of 30 cards, its not like you can do an overwhelm deck. everyone has the same amount of cards. Same with the limits on mana.

Caliane

Totally legit. If you have aLightspawn+ twoDivine Spirits, you can get a 20/20 creature on turn five. It's ridiculous, but it's why Lightspawn is a high priority target for removal. Similarly, Northshire Cleric is only a 1/3, so it's a good idea to use your removal on that card. Silence works too.
what is the normal/golden about?

Column_sl

shitlord
You can see what they look like ingame anyway as long as you have dust to spend.
Just create one then undo it.

Also I love that Priests have become the new rogues for Beta 2. I predicted that the day before the patch hit.
Now I am going to enjoy the sweet tears of all the band wagoners when they get nerfed for live.

IMHO if you are learning this game, dont pick the most obvious OP class you will suffer in the end.