Helldivers II

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I fully admit I know nothing about this stuff, but since this is owned by fuckin SONY of all people, couldn't they, after over a week now, just, you know, turn on more servers?

As far as I know, Sony just published it, they don't own Arrowhead

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I fully admit I know nothing about this stuff, but since this is owned by fuckin SONY of all people, couldn't they, after over a week now, just, you know, turn on more servers?
The only thing that makes me think it's not that simple is it seems like maybe the issue is with their coding and, specifically, calls to whatever database they're using. They've had to essentially turn off anything related to queries (any items, after map stats, literally all the matchmaking and stats for it like number of players) to that database.

Which means just scaling up servers for more players exacerbates that problem since you're only adding to the database hits, which is something they need to fix in their coding.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about how that works. Could they add more backend to their database server(s)? Maybe. I think they really didn't expect their game to get 20% of these numbers and just lazy coded it with that assumption without any room for scaling.

Whatever it is, it's not great for them. Gamers are fickle. This is incredibly bad PR and people won't forget it. A lot of people are going to move on, and likely ask for refunds.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
As far as I know, Sony just published it, they don't own Arrowhead
Again, I don't get all the ties between or how they work, but I would assume increased sales over expectations (to the tune of MILLIONS, as I understand it) would mean more money for all, including the publisher, and that would spur Sony to do SOMETHING to help because I assume with the PSN they have access to a lot of infrastructure/resources to expedite the opening of additional capacity.

And to Gravel's point, NOT doing something to help would mean the loss of sales, not just now, but long-term due to loss of goodwill, which right now, is extraordinary.

Again, only understanding business, not the technology underneath.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hooray, they have way more money than they ever thought they would make in sales, doesn't fix shitty code.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Whatever it is, it's not great for them. Gamers are fickle. This is incredibly bad PR and people won't forget it. A lot of people are going to move on, and likely ask for refunds.

I don't t hink so, or we all wouldn't be waiting in queue to play. People will definitely bitch about it in the future but this game has got something people want so all they are going to do is bitch about it until it's fixed then happily logon and play.

If they were smart they would have went all in on mitigation M-F and been ready for this. I would have had the servers down and a complete re-write. Having them up for just some people is going increase teh bitching.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Hooray, they have way more money than they ever thought they would make in sales, doesn't fix shitty code.
thats correct GIF by The Orville

Hekotat

I could see the conversation 10 months ago "we are limited to 10k logins per minute", "Like we will ever need anything greater than that haha".

I also picture them asking their network guy on Thursday "This goign to work this weekend?" "Oh yeah, I've been in teh business for 30 years, there is no way this won't work".

• 1Double Worf

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
I don't think they knew how big this was gonna blow up, having a Steam peak of nearly 7k for HD1 vs 400k for HD2, they said they are working on things and hiring more people given the massive early success but it's gonna take time. Yeah it sucks not being able to play cause the game is fun as fuck. Hopefully they do a medals or samples bonus or something to try and make up for the down time once they unfuck their shit, cause while exp and cash are nice they aren't my bottle neck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't t hink so, or we all wouldn't be waiting in queue to play. People will definitely bitch about it in the future but this game has got something people want so all they are going to do is bitch about it until it's fixed then happily logon and play.

If they were smart they would have went all in on mitigation M-F and been ready for this. I would have had the servers down and a complete re-write. Having them up for just some people is going increase teh bitching.
I mean, I think my group may be ready to move on soon if we're not able to figure this out. If you can't play the game, we're not going to sit in Discord just chit chatting all night hoping we all get through the queue and don't crash.

• 1Truth!

Hekotat

Hello Divers!

Earlier tonight we had server related issues with a concurrent player spike. This lead to some mission payouts failing, some players being kicked to their ships, or being logged out. Our team is working around the clock to solve these issues. While we've been able to mitigate some of the causes, we are still struggling to keep up with the scaling that is needed to accommodate all our Helldivers. Therefore we've had to cap our concurrent players to around 450,000 to further improve server stability. We will continue to work with our partners to get the ceiling raised. If you have progression related issues, please restart the game in order for things to sync back up. Thank you for your continued patience.

/Your dedicated team over at Arrowhead
:arrowhead2:

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
The only thing that makes me think it's not that simple is it seems like maybe the issue is with their coding and, specifically, calls to whatever database they're using. They've had to essentially turn off anything related to queries (any items, after map stats, literally all the matchmaking and stats for it like number of players) to that database.

Which means just scaling up servers for more players exacerbates that problem since you're only adding to the database hits, which is something they need to fix in their coding.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about how that works. Could they add more backend to their database server(s)? Maybe. I think they really didn't expect their game to get 20% of these numbers and just lazy coded it with that assumption without any room for scaling.

Sounds like what I'm dealing with at work. Dev's coded something that reads/writes to XML's stored in a database (lulz) and what ended up happening is it sent the SQL servers from 3% CPU usage to 100% usage resulting in everything on those servers to crash. Temp fix is basically doing what they're doing, stifling connections. So its been over a year and they're just now about to roll out a potential fix.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

I'm wondering if they should try to implement some manner of visible queue status in the meantime

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
While the login issues are horrible, this game is the most fun I've had with friends in a long fucking time. Managed to put in a solid 10 hours today and I had only planned on hopping on and playing for 2 or 3 hours originally.

pysek

<Gold Donor>
It's been working for me the last couple of hours.

Good times.

Hekotat

While the login issues are horrible, this game is the most fun I've had with friends in a long fucking time. Managed to put in a solid 10 hours today and I had only planned on hopping on and playing for 2 or 3 hours originally.

Yeah, it's unassumingly good. I put in 16 hours the previous weekend in one play session and didn't even realize it. Haven't done that since WoW came out back in the day. Even with all the issues people are fiending to play, they are just bitching about it.

Hekotat

Also, do this. It got me past the issues with not getting into the game. I had to change the file to read only in order to keep it from switching back to enabled by default.

It just took a few restarts to get past the black screen then I'd get into the game. Apparently it keeps you out of the PSN queue.