Helldivers II

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I keep wanting to buy this because of the hype, but then I watch videos and they all look like full auto bullet sponge 24/7. What am I missing?
Here's an honest review from someone that primarily plays solo.

It's a bullet sponge game if you don't go stealth. I can't stand online communities in games. Rust and other fps games ruined that for me. However, the community in Helldiver's (for whatever reason) seems to be somewhat different. As in not as toxic, they seem to thoroughly enjoy the game and want to do pugs and push progression. That said, as I'm sure you've read here the devs do live progression and updates and constantly in communication with players. I enjoy that you can actually see the changes the GM makes and can successfully complete the liberation or fail. The few pugs I have done have been fun and hilarious but ultimately I prefer the challenge so I play 90% of the time solo. I love games that are difficult like the Souls series and playing this solo in the harder difficulties gives me that "fuck you" challenge. That said... Fuck chargers and fuck Bile Titans. Now, the missions are repetitive. Some much more fun than others.

The other aspect I enjoy about it is that you don't have to pay to win. Every gun, nade, armor piece and emote can be unlocked just by playing the game. Including getting credits to buy from the store if you want, all without ever using a credit card.

Overall, the game is a lot of fun solo and in pugs. I'm sure it's even more fun to play with friends but I'm old and married, so obviously friends aren't a thing. I also play on PS5.

I was skeptical about this game but I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it. So, if you like run and gun, objective driven games this is for you. If you like Starship Troopers and/or Terminator this is for you.

Do it for Liberty.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Game only felt spongy at the start or if you're using the "wrong" gun types and not hitting weak spots.

After unlocking all the good shit now everything dies in a 1-3 shots.

After unlocking more stratagems and recognize what's good for what situation things stop being so hectic.

If you just kind of cruise up to challenging/hard difficulties and wait until you have a decent amount of unlocks to get a feel for the game it's pretty smooth curve at the higher difficulties.

I've not really run into anyone toxic while doing quick plays. Occasional person who is heavy on the team killing, but I chock it up to them being bad rather than trolling.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If you're having bullet sponge issues you're doing something wrong. There's not one enemy in this game that requires that many bullets to kill unless you are not using the tools at your disposal.

Heavy Armor (bile Titans, chargers, tanks and hulks) - rockets, orbital strikes, rocket pods, rail guns, etc.

Medium Armor (hive guards, hive commanders, walkers, bile spewers, devestators) - grenade launcher, arc thrower, Heavy MG, eagle strikes, orbital strikes, nades, etc.

Chaff - regular guns, die in a few hits or one hit depending on the gun.

EDIT: Corrected spelling mistakes from my phone.

Last edited:

Cybsled

It mostly has to do with weak points. Like chargers, if you destroy the armor on the front leg and shoot the exposed leg, it takes a shitload of damage and dies. So usually 1-2 railgun shots to leg, then I swap to my shotty and shot the exposed leg and it dies in like 4-5 shots

Anti-material will one shot most robots if you aim for their glowy red face

Last edited:

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
There's not one enemy in this game that requires that many bullets to kill unless you are not using the tools at your disposal.

Charger has entered the chat.

edit - I should clarify: When you get several spawns and you're out of or low on strats, they stun you, disperse your team, and can be hard to take out. Agreed, though, 2-3 good shots in the leg with an overcharged railgun will do the trick if you can keep from getting run over by Charge_02, Charger_03, and Charge_04.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Have you all been encountering more griefing and team killing recently? I have had people melee me off objectives when I was entering the codes. I had a dude die, and I picked the samples he dropped only to have him shotgun me in the back once he was back in game to grab the stuff off me. I have had people team kill at extraction, just to troll. Dumb, since it penalizes all of us and not just the people who didn't make it, but whatever.

What surprised me more though was there is no report for team killing or griefing. Only report option was for chat, which gives me pause. Is that tacit free run to grief w/o mercy and punishment? If so, this game is going to start having more problems and pubs are going to be an issue going forward.

I already want to avoid pubs in general cause they seem to want to pick fights constantly and not be tactical and smart about when and where to fight. If I now have to worry about griefing than fuck all that.

Oddly, I also noticed in one of the updates crossplay had been turned back on. I shut that off and hope that helps improve pub quality. :)

Hekotat

edit - I should clarify: When you get several spawns and you're out of or low on strats, they stun you, disperse your team, and can be hard to take out. Agreed, though, 2-3 good shots in the leg with an overcharged railgun will do the trick if you can keep from getting run over by Charge_02, Charger_03, and Charge_04.

I feel your pain but still not a bullet sponge.

Expendable or any other rocket is a one shot to leg to expose it, 500kg will one shot, rail cannon can one shot (Iffy), rocket pods can one shot (iffy). But with coordination things can get mopped up quickly if you're working together. I typically look at other people's loadouts and choose something that we are lacking as a group. Typically this is expendable and grenade launcher or LMG to help clear out chaff/bile spewers. Grenade launcher is becoming my favorite weapon in the game.

PRO TIP - Hitting tab to bring up the map shows your teammates cooldowns on Strategems. Also, it appears Bile Titans can be destroyed by shooting them in the tail with rockets as well.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Have you all been encountering more griefing and team killing recently? I have had people melee me off objectives when I was entering the codes. I had a dude die, and I picked the samples he dropped only to have him shotgun me in the back once he was back in game to grab the stuff off me. I have had people team kill at extraction, just to troll. Dumb, since it penalizes all of us and not just the people who didn't make it, but whatever.

What surprised me more though was there is no report for team killing or griefing. Only report option was for chat, which gives me pause. Is that tacit free run to grief w/o mercy and punishment? If so, this game is going to start having more problems and pubs are going to be an issue going forward.

I already want to avoid pubs in general cause they seem to want to pick fights constantly and not be tactical and smart about when and where to fight. If I now have to worry about griefing than fuck all that.

Oddly, I also noticed in one of the updates crossplay had been turned back on. I shut that off and hope that helps improve pub quality. :)

Not personally. Some people don't realize things like samples are shared though so that could explain that. If people are going to grief and I'm team lead they are getting the boot to the black screen right at the end to maximize wasting their time though <_<.

Expendable or any other rocket is a one shot to leg to expose it, 500kg will one shot, rail cannon can one shot (Iffy), rocket pods can one shot (iffy). But with coordination things can get mopped up quickly if you're working together. I typically look at other people's loadouts and choose something that we are lacking as a group. Typically this is expendable and grenade launcher or LMG to help clear out chaff/bile spewers. Grenade launcher is becoming my favorite weapon in the game.

PRO TIP - Hitting tab to bring up the map shows your teammates cooldowns on Strategems. Also, it appears Bile Titans can be destroyed by shooting them in the tail with rockets as well.

Nade launcher is def in my top 3 especially for clearing nests since you can boop them from so far away with little risk.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
This guy had some good suggestions for settings in video, gameplay, and mouse/keyboard. I didn't use all of them but many are good even if you have to retrain some muscle memory.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Doesn't need to be overcharged. Overcharging largely is all risk no reward. I really only hate chargers in that occasionally they seem to sneak up silently almost, or when you have 3 on top of a bile titan. 2-3 if your team keeps the trash off you is pretty easy to solo w/ the railgun.

Sludig

Titans is the one thing at highest difficulty I'm having issues with in that team seems to not come geared for them, I like the railcannon most of the time but it wont one shot them. I've had good luck if you can expose their guts finishing them off w/ railgun. But unlike chargers you can handle w/ support weapons. The titans just seem to soak up way too much of anything. I do kinda want to play more with running under them and shooting straight up after dodging a leg attack.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Titans is the one thing at highest difficulty I'm having issues with in that team seems to not come geared for them, I like the railcannon most of the time but it wont one shot them. I've had good luck if you can expose their guts finishing them off w/ railgun. But unlike chargers you can handle w/ support weapons. The titans just seem to soak up way too much of anything. I do kinda want to play more with running under them and shooting straight up after dodging a leg attack.

Interesting. I see chargers as more of a pain in the ass than bile titans. Orbital rail cannons take a pretty good chunk off of them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
k5yk13bqgjmc1.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

ads rockets into the mouth or tail. You need to be ads for better accuracy. If you hit the titan in the open mouth before it spews it’s a high chance of a one shot.

im still testing on the tail but I’ve downed two now with a single expendable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Why does this game shit the bed when Steam updates and why is it always when I have a load of samples?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Did they change stuff? For whatever reason on a fucking lv 6 pug was struggling fucking hard. So many titans. And breaker seemed to struggle for some reason. Or I'm just having a stroke tonight seeing as how many typos I had trying to type this.