Helldivers II

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
At the end he addresses it. The game is confused as to what it wants to be. Is it a horde clearing game? If so, you need something to deal with that. Is it a souls-like, incredibly difficult game? Then we need to not get swarmed by fucking 5 chargers at once on top of endless loops of trash mobs.

It's trying to do both, and on top of that, it limits the amount of resources you get to deal with it. That just leads to players being frustrated and avoiding as much combat as possible because engaging in it means you auto-lose.

And the railgun being "meta" was just a symptom of the problem being that the developers don't seem to understand the game themselves. You put in these enemies that have armor that almost nothing penetrates. The railgun was one of the few options for that. Replacing it with a flamethrower or laser cannon which requires you to beam something down with half your ammo just means you're fucked for the next encounter.

They're killing their own game because they don't understand the mechanics they implemented. Either that, or they just don't want people playing on higher difficulties and it's some kind of lashing out that they're doing.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully the guns being balanced lets them now balance the underlying game. Still having a blast on 7s, but it’s definitely more challenging.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
At the end he addresses it. The game is confused as to what it wants to be. Is it a horde clearing game? If so, you need something to deal with that. Is it a souls-like, incredibly difficult game? Then we need to not get swarmed by fucking 5 chargers at once on top of endless loops of trash mobs.

It's trying to do both, and on top of that, it limits the amount of resources you get to deal with it. That just leads to players being frustrated and avoiding as much combat as possible because engaging in it means you auto-lose.

And the railgun being "meta" was just a symptom of the problem being that the developers don't seem to understand the game themselves. You put in these enemies that have armor that almost nothing penetrates. The railgun was one of the few options for that. Replacing it with a flamethrower or laser cannon which requires you to beam something down with half your ammo just means you're fucked for the next encounter.

They're killing their own game because they don't understand the mechanics they implemented. Either that, or they just don't want people playing on higher difficulties and it's some kind of lashing out that they're doing.

We got swarmed with chargers several times last night and never had a problem, you guys are just pissing and moaning about changes and aren't willing to adapt to new playstyles just like when the game launched. You're acting like the sky is falling but in reality it isn't.

With that being said there was definitely and increase in difficulty with the patch. I don't know if it was intentional or not but my guess is they did it to stop solo players from completing harder mission levels. I'm sure more balancing is coming but the encounters are still beatable and some adaptation will be required. If you want roflstomp mode with no challenge there is a difficulty slider.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We got swarmed with chargers several times last night and never had a problem, you guys are just pissing and moaning about changes and aren't willing to adapt to new playstyles just like when the game launched. You're acting like the sky is falling but in reality it isn't.

With that being said there was definitely and increase in difficulty with the patch. I don't know if it was intentional or not but my guess is they did it to stop solo players from completing harder mission levels. I'm sure more balancing is coming but the encounters are still beatable and some adaptation will be required. If you want roflstomp mode with no challenge there is a difficulty slider.
Should post a few minute clip out of curiosity. I havnt even played in several days and won't for a while yet with real life.

Hekotat

Should post a few minute clip out of curiosity. I havnt even played in several days and won't for a while yet with real life.

If I didn't have dogshit internet I would, would take a full day to upload a 5 min clip and I wouldn't be able to do anything else during the process.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I think the meteor strikes are stupid and not fun. They don't give enough notice before one-shotting you and actively discourage you from moving and engaging in combat - which is actually the fun part of the game. I don't see any way in which they made the game more enjoyable.

The weapon balancing doesn't bother me because I'm not a meta player on this kind of game. I just do what is fun and I'm not playing at the highest difficulty. I don't get why people are quite so salty about the changes - the meta always shifts in a live service game. What's new about that?

Hekotat

I think the meteor strikes are stupid and not fun. They don't give enough notice before one-shotting you and actively discourage you from moving and engaging in combat - which is actually the fun part of the game. I don't see any way in which they made the game more enjoyable.

The weapon balancing doesn't bother me because I'm not a meta player on this kind of game. I just do what is fun and I'm not playing at the highest difficulty. I don't get why people are quite so salty about the changes - the meta always shifts in a live service game. What's new about that?

I agree with this, it's not a good mechanic.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Kinda surprised they don't just RP the nerfs. Bugs and robots adjusting the more items are used, naturally making them less effective over time but also becoming more vulnerable to other elements / types of damage.

Becomes something to manage / pay attention to though, so there are plenty of reasons to not like that if it became an actual in-game mechanism the GM tweaked in real time. Could take other forms too like munitions shortages, unable to call in railgun stratagems until supply routes have been restored, etc. Just in-game reasons outside of 'its too good' to get people to mix things up.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hopefully the guns being balanced lets them now balance the underlying game. Still having a blast on 7s, but it’s definitely more challenging.

Yeah. I WAS having fun on 7's. Now? It's more a slog than fun.

I read that they purposely keep the guns weak, as to emphasize the stratagems. This seems so ass backwards to me. Off the top of my head I can think of three better ways to balance the game play.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One dev said they intend for the game to be very hard on the high end and the railgun being overpowered was making it too easy.

I’m starting to see pugs adjust. Lots of Anti-tank, recoiless, flamethrowers, and autocanon showing up. Oddly, I’m still mainly using the railgun because nobody else is playing it and it’s still extremely strong.

The biggest thing adding difficulty to the pugs I’ve been in is still pugs not understanding how to play in the higher difficulties. Fuck players that attack every single patrol they see, especially those players that do it without warning and really far away, guaranteeing breaches and ships.

One thing that I didn’t notice before the patch is the number of patrols that continue to spawn and spawn without warning. An entire patrol will just literally spawn on top of you without warning. They also continue in high frequency after all the bases are destroyed. Before I patch, I thought the map mostly cleared out after you took out most or all of the bases.

Last edited:

Cybsled

I read that they purposely keep the guns weak, as to emphasize the stratagems. This seems so ass backwards to me. Off the top of my head I can think of three better ways to balance the game play.

Biggest problem there is half the planets at high difficulty have increased stratagem cooldowns or deployment times or scramblers

• 1Like

Hekotat

Biggest problem there is half the planets at high difficulty have increased stratagem cooldowns or deployment times or scramblers

I absolutely hate the new meteor storms, we failed a few missions last night due to the lives lost from them. They occur too frequently and are to destructive/dense.

• 1Solidarity

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I absolutely hate the new meteor storms, we failed a few missions last night due to the lives lost from them. They occur too frequently and are to destructive/dense.
I love them. I have more objectives completed by them than Helldivers lost.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I noticed now that armor ratings are fixed. That light armor is next to useless or light armor is still broken. I was wearing whatever the medical light armor is that has 560 speed. I was consistently getting one shotted by hunters. So, I had to go with higher armor over speed. Now that I'm not getting insta-gibbed by weak ass bugs, I'm now realizing I also have the worst fucking luck when it comes to meteor showers because they kill me... Every. Fucking. Time. I got killed by a meteor strike last night as extraction was about to land fucking thing threw me way off the EZ and by the time the pod hit ground I couldn't get within range and the fucking timer reset.

Another time I was nailed by a damn meteor shower it didn't kill me but tossed me out of bounds of the map and branded a traitor before I could stand up and got nuked by own peeps. Fuck meteor showers.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For some reason I can't unlock the exosuit. Do I need to have completed a Tien Qwan mission?
I have the funds, but it doesn't seem to save the unlock when I click claim.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For some reason I can't unlock the exosuit. Do I need to have completed a Tien Qwan mission?
I have the funds, but it doesn't seem to save the unlock when I click claim.

Unlocked for everyone atm I think, then maybe you'll be able to unlock it after? Not sure.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Think servers eating shit. Friend said he couldn't buy anything + reports of people not getting rewards which is typical when servers are overloaded.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Think servers eating shit. Friend said he couldn't buy anything + reports of people not getting rewards which is typical when servers are overloaded.
Yeah, servers took a dive /rimshot