Helldivers II

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Absolutely.

We were reluctant to up the difficulty because we'd get some maps that would just shit all over us. We stayed in hard (5) for a while. Then we just started upping it and settled on suicide missions (7). There are some like that new tower mission where we got dumpstered where we thought about lowering it, but then we run it again and it's no problem. Which leads me to believe we could go all the way to max difficulty and be just fine.
Had an easier ti.e 3 manning a 9 than I did lately in 4 man 6s is amusing. Though I still have only ever completely failed the new tower missions, rest have always been able to kinda limp thru with 0 call ins remaining.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I somehow think the difficulty is based on the level of the players in the party with you, seems the more 50s we have the crazier it gets. I've switched to running almost all anti armor strategems and then just deal with hordes with my main gun and nades.

The crashing sucks, I assume they have a memory leak or something. We were all consistently crashing at the same time after a few games.

Cybsled

So summed up, clearing more of the map and being near major POI = more spawns

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, that's a lengthy post. Seems to support the idea of just rushing the main objective and fuck everything else. Pick up any samples on your way, but don't go out of your way.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yes, shutting down bug holes and automaton factories = MORE spawns. Makes sense to me, Arrowhead!

Kiki

Log Wizard
Man, that's a lengthy post. Seems to support the idea of just rushing the main objective and fuck everything else. Pick up any samples on your way, but don't go out of your way.

Alternatively you could collect super samples, do nothing and wait for timer.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Saw this today regarding how many patrols you get.

This seems to fit. Especially the situation when you are at an obj, specifically thinking big bug hole where it starts to go a lil south and you get split up cause of the spawns. Then someone dies and it all snowballs to shit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The fact that mission length helps determine spawn rate is just such a stupid fucking design decision. WTF is the point of killing anything if it's just wasting time and thus ramping up your spawn time? I get that POIs and such should increase enemy presence a bit(as well as the "horde" effect when you drop support weapons, etc.), but spawn rate should be a mostly consistent modifier based on difficulty chosen. So if let's say you had a 250% increased spawn modifier on Helldive difficulty, each time your team pops a small nest it should drop it by 5% or whatever. 10% for a medium nest, 15% for a large. I've literally watched a group of mobs spawn right on top of me out of thin air. Not "near" me, right on top.

Obviously those numbers could be adjusted, but those design decisions really make me think these guys have very little idea wtf they're doing and kinda just winging it.

And yet despite all that, the game is still a blast when I'm not crashing 30 times a night. We've pretty consistently been able to do 9s now, but you really can't engage in many fights on Helldive. The spawning gets so fucking out of control it's basically just hitting the objective ASAP, dropping a stratagem behind you while sprinting the fuck away, trying to lose agro. It also seems the game gets "confused" when you split up into 2, 2-man teams and work through the map that way. It's like it doesn't know where to throw the spawns at and just doesn't spawn at all instead. We've noticed a massive reduction in enemies when we do that.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone else noticed wild inconsistencies in difficulty at the same level? I've been trying to decide if I am smoking crack or if it really does seem to be a wide variation.
Not just you. It's wildly inconsistent. There's missions I get through with little to no problem and then what's supposed to be a simple mission ends up being impossible because the waves of bugs are non-stop or I'm being ambushed by multiple stalkers. Which I can't get away from anymore! I used to able to headshot them and they'd retreat and cloak up again but nope... Now they hit me with that tongue, throw me back 30ft and before I can get up they're on top of me and gibbed my ass. Then there's the fucking hunters... Their headshots ignore armor and their headshot percentage must have been increased greatly because I consistently get 1 to 2 shotted by hunters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Had a rough night trying to play yesterday. I realized I hadn't unlocked helldive yet so decided to play some 8s instead of just farming 7 like I have been for awhile. Probably just coincidence but the teams seemed to be more disorganized on 8s than 7s last night plus lower leveled. Also bullshit moments like host leaving with the last mission left and finally finding a decent group only to have the game crash. This game needs a rejoin feature.

Also, everyone complains about chargers and hunters but what about bile spewers. Damn things are silent, fast, and have a one hit kill, long, mid, and short range attacks. Dodge the spew attack which seems to sometimes have a larger damage range than visualized but hits your foot... slowed. The amount of times I've ran around a rock or over ledge to just eat a face full of acid is comical. I like the new energy primary but switched back to the slugger because they piss me off so much. My go to load out has been slugger, stun grenade, arc thrower, rover, orbital rail, and eagle airstrike. Handles the hordes of bugs really well.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seems like everyone mainly fights bugs. I love the robots thematically, but I just about cant' stand playing them because of the amount of rocket spam from tiny little faggots mixed in that you can't see a lot of the time. I have zero issues with the bigger guys with rockets.

Anyone that does bots, run the explosive damage armor, does it work/matter?

Saw something claiming the 50cal will 1-2 top the bigger dreadnaughts in the eye. And claiming it does leg chargers now? Might revisit, since it does have the mobility over the autocannon which seems to weak anymore with the trade offs

Cybsled

The explosive heavy armor does help a bit - you don’t get 1 shot by cannon towers from what I have experienced

You still get lit the fuck up by everything else though

Heavy kits need a buff vs ranged damage to make them a better option vs bots, whereas with bugs you need speed to outrun the swarms

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Been doing a lot more bugs even though I enjoy bots, just cause all my dailies and orders are for bug missions. Today is the first day in nearly a week I believe where I've gotten a daily to fight bots.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Seems like everyone mainly fights bugs. I love the robots thematically, but I just about cant' stand playing them because of the amount of rocket spam from tiny little faggots mixed in that you can't see a lot of the time. I have zero issues with the bigger guys with rockets.

Anyone that does bots, run the explosive damage armor, does it work/matter?

Saw something claiming the 50cal will 1-2 top the bigger dreadnaughts in the eye. And claiming it does leg chargers now? Might revisit, since it does have the mobility over the autocannon which seems to weak anymore with the trade offs

I don't mind the bots but I have a problem with them shooting rockets across the map to kill you. Engagement range needs to be reduced on the more open planets, anything with lots of trees and cover isn't that bad.