Helldivers II

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If that is true, why was it sold in countries that don't have PSN?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Why are people getting so upset about this?

Serious question as I am too stupid to understand. I link lots of accounts and never thought anything about it besides an annoying extra click you do once.
Because it's annoying. Fuck 'em.

I'm glad gamers are finally standing up to bullshit annoyances that exist for no reason and a bunch of dick eaters come in to white knight corpos - "OMG GUYS! IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. Just eat the dick!".

Nah, fam. Enjoy eating corporate dick. Not even a free skin for linking, nothing. Just another annoying hoop to jump through because of greed. Eat my ass.

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 10 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't the argument for why they wanted this something something griefing? Smells like bullshit to me. Seems more like wanting information and linkages to sell shit.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Sony just wants your data to sell and to send you unwanted marketing bullshit

They're wrapping it in some "safety" excuse, which is hilarious considering how often they've had data breaches on PSN

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

The game ended up being a huge hit, but when Sony put the money on the table for the game to get made, it was certainly not a foregone conclusion. It's not exactly surprising that they contractually demanded things that could extract the most value out the project, like having to link a PSN account.

Something to note also is that, from a logistical point of view, a multiplayer game means you need to have systems to handle people who cheat or break the conduct and language policies. It's not absurd that this part is handled by Sony since they have such systems in place for other games and hence is not absurd that it requires players to have PSN accounts.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
From one of the most recent Steam reviews:

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users

May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts

November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures

August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts

September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack

October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Breach data is everywhere. There are like five people that have true principled positions on this issue.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I understand those points but it feels like a "Influencer inflated problem". Like some Youtuber got mad and everyone jumped on and got mad as well.

I got no horse in this race so I don't give a shit really. I'll play the game for a week or two more then probably go and play something new.

1714786777408.png

definitely just the work of some youtubers.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Breach data is everywhere. There are like five people that have true principled positions on this issue.
The PSN TOS is a hell no for me. They up front tell you they will ban you for using vulgarity even just among your friends. Sony in particular has a long history of shady shit going back 30 years that I remember offhand, probably more.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe you do not realize that PirateSoftware alone reaches several hundred of thousands of people.
Maybe you do not realize that not everyone is an emasculated Euro soyjak who does whatever a streamer tells them.

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
Maybe you do not realize that not everyone is an emasculated Euro soyjak who does whatever a streamer tells them.
You surely mean emasculated American soyjak, right. The keys are like right next to each other. I get it. Happens to the best of us.

• 1Salty

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Watching all of this blow up in the last couple of days has been entertaining on its own because it's refreshing to see people push back every now and again.

I was thinking of picking this game up at some point, but I'd rather see how all of this plays out. The overboard DRM already had me wary, and frankly if their going excuse for mandatory accounts is over "safety and security," then at the very least it should be one or the other.

From the little bits that I had already seen, it seemed like the developers just wanted to make a fun game and didn't want any of this bullshit, but Sony had to pull a Sony at their expense.
The english pages are doing a Tarkov on the matter

There's an archive link in there as well, which further proves how necessary it is to keep backups on what these corporations say.

Also scrolling through that place, they seem to have gone through the effort of making translations for countries that don't support PSN:

The PSN TOS is a hell no for me. They up front tell you they will ban you for using vulgarity even just among your friends. Sony in particular has a long history of shady shit going back 30 years that I remember offhand, probably more.
Very true, it's good to remember how they were behind SecuRom and installing rootkits way back when.

Now we have the more current situation where their Californification has taken hold, so in addition to having null data security, they're certainly not to be trusted in respect to anything where they can act as cyber-nannies in charge of your purchases.

• 2Like