Heroes of the Storm

Caliane

heh, Mures white knighting it like crazy.
I don't think hes entirely wrong. The thing is, the game does seem to favor that team play even more then the others. Its much harder to carry as noted. So, it is less fun to solo que, quickplay, etc. Supports are largely painful, without teammates that know what your support does, and how to make use of you.
This same issue applies to map objectives. Where, some players utterly fail to make good use of them. Its an entirely different game on a team with voice com. Meta's exist in lol and dota in lieu of voice coms in many respects. (half the point of an established "meta" build path and strategy, is just making sure everyone on your team is on the same page."

I am not a super fan of the talent system. I feel most heroes have a single correct build path. only a few have 2 solid options. Many suggest the same with LoL, and dota with items. but honestly, you do have some real variance. you play sona, you can go fat life, with rod of ages, AA staff, etc. or, full ap with hat, zhonyas, or full support with censor/knights, or armor/tank with zhonyas, shroud, etc.

Solo queuing supports. I was getting tired of it quick. Swapped to lunara last night to try it. suddenly murder machine, and dominating matches. Was brightwing nerfed? I remember brightwing being better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, brightwing was nerfed awhile back, reduced duration on poly for one and some other small adjustments.

If you want a support that can carry, a good Malfurian can certainly carry games.

Certainly agree HotS favors team play more than others, but don't necessarily agree its much harder to carry. I don't feel like I carried anymore in games I did well in, in LoL than when I do well in HotS. Carrying in HotS is different though in that you do need to work well with your team as opposed to something like LoL where maybe you just dominate your mid lane so you gank bot and the game snowballs. HotS is more about communication and that's perhaps why I like it more, I can use my in game knowledge and carry games where I may have had just a mediocre game performance-wise even. Its very satisfying to me making a call, pinging it, your team or teammates respond, and you win the objective or you noticing a gank coming to a lane so you warn lanemates and counter gank and win the skirmish. I've already said it in this thread a couple of times, but games in which I'm losing, it's usually because I'm having a bad game as well. And it wasn't until I had hundreds of games played that I really noticed that so I think people are quick to blame others. Games in which I do well and I'm communicating well with teammates are usually going to result in wins, at the least it'll be a very gg; every once in awhile you have that person who is muted just solo pushing a lane all game that just can't be carried, but that's not the norm and also happens in the other games. Biggest difference I can see is, its different in that you aren't going to complete that one powerful item really early and become the strongest person on your team, but you certainly are directly responsible for building your team a lead to get a talent advantage over your opponent and crushing your opponent that way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Lol, Probius is a badass. Got MVP easy in a quick match with him. His warp rift combo spam and photon cannon rushes are godly ;p

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I mean there will always be comparisons because its still the same genre. Sure, its not lol/dota2, but we didn't need another dota clone. I just found it comical people coming in here comparing high end competitive lol/dota2 play to hots quick match where they probably didn't even have a tank and/or support and are playing with others with very few games played. Its like...
View attachment 135160
People saying the game lacks depth because of stupid shit like items and last hitting, not everyone likes those outdated systems. Tales of not being able to carry are grossly exaggerated/simplified. Abilities don't matter? Try continuing a fight on even footing where skill shots miss in a competitive game and see what happens. Not, "hey guys we crushed/got crushed and were up/down 4 lvls, abilities are so meaningless, lol." People are probably taking fights on uneven talent tiers and don't know why they're getting creamed.

The last time I tried playing LoL again it was 20 minutes in before I had a real skirmish and of course no team fights. You didn't see me posting in the LoL thread the game is bad because A) I just don't know as much about LoL and B) different strokes for different folks.

This is a good post.

• 1Like

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Lol, Probius is a badass. Got MVP easy in a quick match with him. His warp rift combo spam and photon cannon rushes are godly ;p

He released as absolute ass and then they fixed him thank god. Was expecting super OP after Lucio....man that was a let down at first.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Played all night for the D.Va skin of course and cannot believe how fun this game can be at times. I played with friends and they say that adds a lot to it but the heroes are very well done. I'm a fan of the objective based maps. I'm probably just glad to play something that's not LoL but it was an absolute blast. I very much underestimated this game. Sure it has it's flaws but overall I enjoyed it. The best part are the champions for sure.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, I was pleasantly surprised. Good game for quick matches when you dont have time for DOTA.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
It absolutely helps playing with friends, that is probably what made me stick with it in the beginning.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
friends is really the only thing that makes this game bearable outside of ranked. Solo queue unranked draft & QM are the physical embodiment of children with autism and cancer with keyboards

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the barrier of entry to this game has to do with meta. People like to feel comfortable they are doing the right thing, it's why most of us are browsing forums on advice for min/maxing most games we play. With HOTS the meta changes with the map, which is something you don't have in DOTA/LOL (don't bring in the abysmal 3v3 and whatever the fuck that other thing is). Certain heroes rain supreme on certain maps. Like Azmodan in the map where you can only damage through objectives is garbage. But put in on a huge map and he becomes god like. Also, most people don't understand the concept of soaking lanes and camps. I know that Blizzard was trying to make the barrier to entry much thinner, but I think they inadvertently made it more complex then they anticipated.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
So there must be a new bot program, we played a team that just ran to the same spot every time they died. Each of us had over 30 kills before the game ended.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
So there must be a new bot program, we played a team that just ran to the same spot every time they died. Each of us had over 30 kills before the game ended.

Might just be some fools playing to get the Overwatch skins and throwing the game.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess that's what happens when you force people to play games they don't like to get things for games they do like...

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I guess that's what happens when you force people to play games they don't like to get things for games they do like...

Forcing people? for a skin? lol...

but i agree it's dumb. at least make a Win a requirement.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Meh, just allow them to get it from AI games, that's what most casuals prefer anyway

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You could get the Genji stuff from AI games, can you not for the D.Va skin? People vs. AI I mean

• 1Like

Caliane

no. only week 1 was vs A.I. week 2,3 and 4 will require ranked, unranked, or quick game modes, vs players.

• 1Like

Cybsled

You don't have to win, so even if your team sucks, you still get credit win or loss.

• 1Like