Heroes of the Storm

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Well the competitive scene does their own picking and its much like League and Dota. On Jan 13 when beta is released it will introduce ranked play with actual drafting and what not, but it requires you to own some heroes and be account lvl 30.

I'm looking for a co-op game to play with some family over the break. I played for a couple of hours yesterday and then uninstalled it. I realize that it's technically still an Alpha but it's about to transition to Beta soon and I think it's a train wreck. I don't see how this thing makes money but I guess it will since it is Blizzard.

At the higher competition levels, is there some hero selection process or have they completely stripped that strategy piece out? The fact that you pre-pick your hero without any knowledge of team composition or map selection doesn't make sense.

I'm not a DOTA or LoL fan boy at all but, in spite of some interesting ideas they brought to the game, it just felt like a dumbed down, bland MOBA for people with lots of discretionary money.
I kind of agree. While I don't play at super competitive moba levels, I do enjoy the genre and was really looking forward to seeing what blizzard would do with their take on it. I was let down. I guess I should have known it was going to be a dumbed down version of it (as you said) with Blizzards recent track record, but still. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there are no item builds. They attempt to remedy that with this absolutely mundane talent choice system that ultimately has little to no impact on the game. The fact that you aren't able to change talents on the fly if you need to adapt to the opposing teams strategies is also something that is severely lacking.

I did a 12 hour marathon with some buddies this weekend and I just can't see myself wanting to do it again. Even in premades and playing with friends the lack of variety was boring. Since then, I have logged in to do the daily quests and then logged out to do something else.

Ryoz

<Donor>
What's the great gamut of variety you're finding with other mobas but not this one? Just curious.

Caliane

I think he meant the "theres only 31 heroes, and everyone plays the same 6" issue discussed earlier. not that, the champs that exist are not varied in design.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Fair enough. That's really my biggest issue - that they balance the champs well. I'm happy with everything else, even gold gain, but seeing a more diverse comp of heroes is something I would like to see as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Most heroes are at least viable. Some are just better than others and people tend to gravitate towards the best. I can't think of any that outright should be deleted they're so bad except for maybe Lili. I think once Resurgence gets reworked/removed Diablo will be more interesting as well.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't lili get a buff? She seemed pretty strong in some matches I played over the weekend, like they missed a decimal point broken. I witnessed her go from sub 100, maybe even 50 hp and she was literally full health not even 2 seconds later.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I also found out something the hard way that I hope is unintended. If zeratul places ppl capping a merc camp in a void prison the game doesn't register those heroes as being on the merc camp allowing zeratul to steal camps with no risk.

Edit - And lili it looks like they buffed her healing ult significantly and "nerfed" her very early game q, its now stronger after lvl 5 though.

Tenks

Yeah the VP is a stasis so it sounds like working as intended. The skill has such a long CD that doing so pretty much guarantees it isn't up for the next team fight. I'd be reluctant to burn it just to steal mercs unless your team is behind you to set something up after it.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I never get that ult but then again my group of people I play with skirmish a lot or just stay in lane so I am usually roaming on him. I just like his first ult so much better for sticking to people trying to run from me.

I agree on the variety aspect, although it is hard to compare to other games since they have a bigger champ pool. I think things are about even in reality. Before League's pre-season they have what 130+ champs but only a good 15-20 were played constantly? So I guess it also falls back on what is considered viable etc etc.

Personally, I like the game because I don't have to care. We try to win games but if we don't I have nothing invested and the matches are so short it doesn't bother me to lose.

Tenks

I find his first ult garbage. Makes him a poor mans Illidan. With Zer I rarely just straight up engage. Double bombs with wormhole and VP your flanks I've gotten best results.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I wait for my friend who loves playing warriors to go in and most people focus too much on him so then I go in. You are also talking to someone who hates any kind of utility when I am playing an assassin so I end up going for the most damage possible and rely on my positioning. That ult is utility to me so I will probably never even try it.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apologies for potentially stupid question, new to the game wanting to buy a couple heroes. How are Muradin, Illidan, Malfurian?

Tol_sl

shitlord
Muradin: solid, but kind of a lower tier warrior compared to some of the other warriors. I think a lot of the use he's getting right now is because his HP regen is glitched and he may be in a bad place again when they fix it.
Illidan: Difficult to play correctly, pretty average assassin, but very very easy to suck with and drag everyone down.
Malfurian: solid, great heal/support.

Xith

I've never actually played Muradin, but he seems to stun a lot and that's often a good thing. I think he can be pretty decent if played right. I've played Illidan quite a bit (level 10). He has the 3rd lowest hp of any hero and when targeted, dies pretty fast. He has great escapes, can chase down anyone, and both his Ult's are good. He can be frustrating though because he dies so quickly. I find him fun to play. None of the healers are bad, but I don't think Malfurian is as good as Brightwing or Uther. He might be better than Lili though.. not sure. His heal is a dot, so it often doesn't help. He has a pretty good Ult though.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Just switched to Nova after getting Valla to 5...anyone with advice to how to adjust? Seems that Nova is full burst and no escpae so mostly about playing sniper and avoiding any real engages or team contribution till late game with ulti + pinning shot.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the replies, kind of a bummer as those are the characters I liked lol. Anyway, if anyone is not playing seriously I'm still running co-ops but would love to group up for some basic leveling as that xp bonus is huuuuuuge. Archaleus#1384.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Just switched to Nova after getting Valla to 5...anyone with advice to how to adjust? Seems that Nova is full burst and no escpae so mostly about playing sniper and avoiding any real engages or team contribution till late game with ulti + pinning shot.
Just have to watch your positioning and know ability ranges along with picking your battles.

@Xith- I think Illidian's metamorphisis is completely useless personally compared to his other ult.