Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Citz

Silver Squire
Quite a big team for a startup with no revenue yet, especially for a 2d game. No wonder he is asking for 800k. 5 senior programmers can get an awful lot done in a year.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
- $800k is actually a correct budget for a game like this, when you see KS campaigns for $300k or so they are just marketing bullshit and they are raising money from a publisher (or they have no fucking clue and they will never ship what they promise). DoubleFine is the biggest offender here.

- the choice to make 2D art is spot on. 3d takes too much time, costs too much etc. Not worth unless you have a $20m budget already.

- release in 9 months. Well it's just classic Smed bullshit. If the game was finished today it would probably not release in 9 months. 50% of game dev is testing and balancing.

I wish him well and encourage everyone to send him $25

Reht

Molten Core Raider
They probably opted to go with a smaller, easier to develop game in order to get their studio up, running and ready for the next project(s). Not my cup of tea, but hope they are successful.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
J Todd Coleman has officially backed Smed according to his Twitter. Here we go!! Let the hype train (or hating) begin!!

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Quite a big team for a startup with no revenue yet, especially for a 2d game. No wonder he is asking for 800k. 5 senior programmers can get an awful lot done in a year.
It looks like they already had at least a million invested in the game pre kickstarter probably much more. Smedley was always good at getting that money.

I wonder how fast this will get funded. My Facebook feed is filled with shares from Smedley

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
They probably opted to go with a smaller, easier to develop game in order to get their studio up, running and ready for the next project(s). Not my cup of tea, but hope they are successful.
To me it's pretty smart. This seems much more feasible and they put the majority of the ruleset and features of the game that will be subjective into the players' hand. Thus if you have problems or complaints, they just simple urge you to make your own server or join one with a different ruleset. It's going to be much easier for them to give updates as well as this project doesn't seem to be beyond their abilities.

In regards to the 1.8 mil.. I think you're paying for the beginnings of the next game as well. I'd say this will go towards the team's salary to not only wrap this game up but begin putting together concepts of other games. If this is their direction, it makes me think they're attempting to reboot their process. Go back to the War Wizards, Legends of Kesmai, UO, etc. and progress to the EQ.

Heck.... who knows, they may gain some perspective.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I'm ponying up. Bill Trost as Creative Director is enough to make me reckon this will be worth playing.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
To me it's pretty smart. This seems much more feasible and they put the majority of the ruleset and features of the game that will be subjective into the players' hand. Thus if you have problems or complaints, they just simple urge you to make your own server or join one with a different ruleset. It's going to be much easier for them to give updates as well as this project doesn't seem to be beyond their abilities.

In regards to the 1.8 mil.. I think you're paying for the beginnings of the next game as well. I'd say this will go towards the team's salary to not only wrap this game up but begin putting together concepts of other games. If this is their direction, it makes me think they're attempting to reboot their process. Go back to the War Wizards, Legends of Kesmai, UO, etc. and progress to the EQ.

Heck.... who knows, they may gain some perspective.
Oh i agree. Where did the 1 million come from? I apparently missed that. Edit: Ah, they had investors, just saw the twitch announcement.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm just glad we have a new Kickstarter to get hyped and/or make fun of.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Damn he got Inon Zur as a composer.

This will get at least $1 for that and that writer having a pipboy in the background.

So I will up Soy and throw down $2.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Regime with the big bucks!

727Q1rz.png

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's not worth $2 to find my kickstarter password on my iphone atm but don't worry I'm going to drop them George Washington's baby.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jeez, these people need to learn from Crowfall. Get a badass game trailer with cool effects shots first, then segue into the talking.

They rushed this one out the door instead, and it looks lame. Anti-hyped.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Jeez, these people need to learn from Crowfall. Get a badass game trailer with cool effects shots first, then segue into the talking.

They rushed this one out the door instead, and it looks lame. Anti-hyped.
But his name brings a certain cachet to the project that should make it succeed...........where did we hear that before?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Brad is probably enjoying some mozzarella sticks as he reads about this pixel game.

Pantheon Wins. Who's laughing now, Smed?

I'm intrigued with Smed's new game. I particularly looking forward to running my own server.

I think the hate in this thread is just attempts to look cool because there hasn't been anything bad in this kickstarter yet.