Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think the hate in this thread is just attempts to look cool because there hasn't been anything bad in this kickstarter yet.
Yeah it's like there is literally zero history (OVER THE PAST 15 YEARS) there to justify any of the responses to warrant such beliefs and hate
rolleyes.png

This isn't directed at you, but I often wonder how out of touch with reality these people are that since they have gotten away free and clear of real criticism and accountability and failure that may have wisened them up within the industry (Because no one wanted to lose their jobs by telling them the truth), and now they feel they are just as infallable when it comes to kickstarter funding.

Amazes me. I mean seriously. 1.0 million of overpaid relics to make a 2d ARPG that looks like it came straight out of an Apple 2 GS.

And then going on Kickstarter to ask for 800k. That takes some balls.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I agree.. it's stupid but if he gets it, it's hard to hate. The customer creates these monsters. I think it's bold to go back to this model to begin with... I seriously believe they're trying to just find their place in this world. Another MMO would just be white noise. I think all them need to see how Crowfall fairs before anyone develops anything. Either Smed and his team are geniuses or complete idiots. They're either going to avoid flopping like a bunch of other MMO's come and gone (or upcoming) or they're going to put some money in their pockets and weather this storm and have the market to themselves. Right now, it's Crowfall's game to lose but honestly, I don't even know if anything will really make any significant impact again. The gaming world is just in an odd state right now.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
While I will never support anything Smedley does again. I do like that their company will be buy to play only, he says he is done with micro-transactions.

Interview on Twitch where he discusses the business model:Twitch

Fault him all you want, but with out Smedley, there never would have been an Everquest in the first place. I've played that game off and on over the past sixteen years.

Even if I haven't always seen eye to eye with everything that Smedley had done over the years, I'll give him this one chance because he gave me some of the best years of my life in EQ.

You can say otherwise, but you know good and fucking well this whole community exists because of one games history... Everquest.

And, if you can't give him props for that, than fuck you.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Man what the fuck. If you just want to throw away your money for kicks, give it to charity. Why send a single dollar the way of these proven assholes?

Oldbased

> Than U
This kind of game if there is a market for it usually has more content than most titles released today. Shit the old Ultimas from the 80s had hundreds of hours of content compared to ones today that offer full runthrough in 16-30 hours.
I guess the real question is how many want a Ultima type game with mmo aspects in 2016.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Man what the fuck. If you just want to throw away your money for kicks, give it to charity. Why send a single dollar the way of these proven assholes?
Uh, thisisa charity. We're not getting a product.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Fault him all you want, but with out Smedley, there never would have been an Everquest in the first place. I've played that game off and on over the past sixteen years.

Even if I haven't always seen eye to eye with everything that Smedley had done over the years, I'll give him this one chance because he gave me some of the best years of my life in EQ.

You can say otherwise, but you know good and fucking well this whole community exists because of one games history... Everquest.

So when a guy greenlights a project he had nothing to do with because they had extra cash lying around after a cancelled tank simulator, then after publication destroys the entire fucking game with horseshit mechanics, rushed/botched expansions, missing content from boxes sold and revenue realized, customer service mishaps impacting the entire integrity of the game, complete money mismanagement - And that set the stage for roughly 3 years of it before everyone got pissed off and then Thank God WoW came and we saw the 500k capped market explode into the tens of millions, we should be thankful for raping our wallets up our asses, because why again? Bevcause without him the genre wouldn't have happened? Bullshit. It already was happening. If anything, we can thank Smedley and SOE for stagnating it as long as they did before something DECENT came out that worked out of the box.

The good things that came out of EQ were the players that made WoW what it was that Smedley and his relics couldn't do, or had people try, in the good ol boys club. Jesus Rose. You're fucking hilarious.

Kean_sl

shitlord
Patrick Rothfuss is helping create the backstory for the game. Would be nice if went and finished book 3 rather than dick around with this...

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
For some reason , I want to fire up the Super Nintendo and play Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Now THAT was a fuck rule all game!

That being said, not for me but good luck to the Smed followers.(Smeddies.. Smedlights?)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

He scrapped EQ3 for EQN. Fuck him!

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So he scrapped one game that didn't exist for another that doesn't exist?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Would never support this kickstarter, fuck that. I'll buy the game if it ever releases and dosnt look like shit though.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Not everyone can be a savvy investor like myself. I spot opportunity like an owl spots a field mouse.