Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Question: if you have all these giants of the industry working on this game, how come they don't just use their own money to fund the game? Broke ass bitches!
Why would you spend two million of your own money, or go get a loan that has to be paid back, when you can get it for free from KS, no strings attached? If they did a bank loan, the bank will take all their assets (including homes) in the form of a personal guarantee, if it fails. Is there a KS penalty if the game doesn't ship, or flops? I don't think so.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You would be a fool trying to start a game studio and not using Kickstarter or some other crowdfunding. Lyrical is also correct that the bank will make you put up everything to cover it. No way would they be able to get a regular loan since they have zero income and no way to repay it.

Not gonna donate cause 16 bit pixel nostalgia shit needs to die in a fire.

765f3f00127b2ae06706da702310a6a6.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Why would you spend two million of your own money, or go get a loan that has to be paid back, when you can get it for free from KS, no strings attached? If they did a bank loan, the bank will take all their assets (including homes) in the form of a personal guarantee, if it fails. Is there a KS penalty if the game doesn't ship, or flops? I don't think so.
I understand that they don't want to do something retarded like Schilling did and put up over half of their own net worth into a video game company, but we're not talking about 50 plus million dollars here. If this game is right around a million or so to complete, that should be chump change for these guys that have been in the industry for this long, making the kind of money they've been making.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You would be a fool trying to start a game studio and not using Kickstarter or some other crowdfunding. Lyrical is also correct that the bank will make you put up everything to cover it. No way would they be able to get a regular loan since they have zero income and no way to repay it.

Except the fact that John Smedley alone is worth $20 million.

John Smedley Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

800k is pocket change. Can't get an 800k loan on 20 million in assets? Oh ok.
rolleyes.png

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Except the fact that John Smedley alone is worth $20 million.

John Smedley Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

800k is pocket change. Can't get an 800k loan on 20 million in assets? Oh ok.
rolleyes.png
Not one without putting those assets up unless he has income above a certain debt ratio to repay it. I guess some banks would do it but not many of the big ones. That isn't the point though. Why the fuck would you put your own money on the line when you don't have to?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not one without putting those assets up unless he has income above a certain debt ratio to repay it.
An 800k loan for him would be easier than someone making $75,000 a year and heading to Wells Fargo for a loan on a used 2007 Honda Accord EX.

As for the second question, is why Kickstarter should be illegal unless they start looking at people as investors with ROI.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord

I personally like the return to pixel art for low budget games. It serves more than nostalgia; it's far, far easier to develop with and monumentally less overhead. There will always be AAA blockbuster games with top-of-the-line graphics.. and it'll cost millions and likely be a sequel.

Regardless, this is what I think when I hear "pixel art"..

rrr_img_123586.png

.. not whatever this is..

rrr_img_123585.jpg

Their characters look like poorly compressed illustrations, not pixel art. This game is just wrong on so many levels.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
An 800k loan for him would be easier than someone making $75,000 a year and heading to Wells Fargo for a loan on a used 2007 Honda Accord EX.
I hear about this shit every fucking day from my wife who is actually an executive at Wells Fargo. You have to have Income that is reported to the IRS for them to use it in calculating if you can pay the loan off. I have no idea what his income is but assets are just one part of the equation.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm with Ut in believing that KS is a total scam. I'm not investing in something where I get jack shit as a ROI. No one would invest in the stock market if your only ROI was a cloth fucking map. If they want to start doing kick starters where as an investor you get some of the profits, now you're talking my language.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
#1 Rule of Producing: NEVER use your own money.
#2 Rule. Kickstarter should be illegal and shouldn't be able to be used as a way for those who have means, to not take any risk by using consumer dollars without any way for a consumer to get a return on investment. Want to come out with a product? Take a fucking risk.

The government should fucking shut down Kickstarter with what it has become. Or heavily regulate the fuck out of it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
#2 Rule. Kickstarter should be illegal and shouldn't be able to be used as a way for those who have means, to not take any risk by using consumer dollars without any way for a consumer to get a return on investment. Want to come out with a product? Take a fucking risk.

The government should fucking shut down Kickstarter with what it has become. Or heavily regulate the fuck out of it.
I actually agree with this. We are taking the risk of starting up a new business without any of the upside besides maybe getting the game or whatever a little cheaper. Yah, fuck you.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The risk is known, so I really have no problem with Kickstarter(in general).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
After seeing Brad's attempt at a KS and now Smed's, it's no wonder EQ was such a fucking mess of a game and most of its success was on "accident" or in spite of itself. I still maintain that if DAoC or AC had launched in March of '99, they'd have been just as successful or even more so than EQ was.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think kickstarter here is really just about advertising. Smed said this game launches in Oct this year. In all my years of playing SoE games I learned one thing Smed never misses a launch date EVER!

So my guess is this is just free money and free advertising and come end of the month some investor will drop whatever amount of money is needed to make the Kickstarter reach its goal.

This is likely one of the most sure thing videogame kickstarters you will ever see.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
#1 Rule of Wealthy People: NEVER use your own money.
fixed this for you.

Rich people believe in OPM (other people's money). It's not enough that I can use my money to create wealth, the height of ego is to do it with someone else's.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hear about this shit every fucking day from my wife who is actually an executive at Wells Fargo. You have to have Income that is reported to the IRS for them to use it in calculating if you can pay the loan off. I have no idea what his income is but assets are just one part of the equation.
???

If he's got 20 million, he can get a bank loan. The rules are different for high net worth individuals. A high net worth individual could walk up to a bank and get the money, but he's going to need sign guarantees against it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

I agree, except I'm not big on regulation, especially when there are fools that attach sentimental value to such things. I haven't seen a KS I'd put money in, but if people want to be the bank, but not make a profit off of the loan, that's their business. No one has a gun pointed to their heads.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why this is good for the people lending their money freely. But if they want to take their money out of their accounts, and set it on fire, that's their business.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
???

If he's got 20 million, he can get a bank loan. The rules are different for high net worth individuals. A high net worth individual could walk up to a bank and get the money, but he's going to need sign guarantees against it.
I already said that.