Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Only 100k in 5 days...kinda sluggish.

I also haven't seen it around on any gaming sites yet. Maybe they haven't started a PR campaign yet.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I understand that they don't want to do something retarded like Schilling did and put up over half of their own net worth into a video game company, but we're not talking about 50 plus million dollars here. If this game is right around a million or so to complete, that should be chump change for these guys that have been in the industry for this long, making the kind of money they've been making.
Exactly. So fucking tired of these multimillionaires begging the gaming public for money when in most cases they could pull the money out of their account and only miss a few lunches or that 3rd vacation house in Miami. A million, that's it? I bet his severance from Sony/DB was 5x that much. Use your own fucking money Smed, the fuck?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Exactly. So fucking tired of these multimillionaires begging the gaming public for money when in most cases they could pull the money out of their account and only miss a few lunches or that 3rd vacation house in Miami. A million, that's it? I bet his severance from Sony/DB was 5x that much. Use your own fucking money Smed, the fuck?
Where was this line of thinking when you were willing to go into debt to give Brad McQuaid money?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Plot twist: the $1 million he's already received from investors is his own money, because no one wants to invest in this junk.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I just hope when this does not reach its goal that Smed (and others) understand why.

To touch on an earlier point, I think it is about time gamers stand up against getting gouged. DLC's and some of this stuff is getting out of hand. As the consumer, we really have the power. If some of these games would fall on their face, we would probably receive better treatment.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I dont understand most of the arguments on this thread. He is doing the same thing that tons of people(even on this forum) supported when Roberts did it for a space sim that is still not finished. This game will probably be done this year. That's a far superior turnaround than Star Citizen so far isn't it? Hasn't the entire history of MMOs been people supporting unfinished games? When did this suddenly become an issue here? Aren't the huge companies making Gold editions, etc later now and charging us? Was Darkest Dungeon etc finished when it went on sale on steam? Aren't there tons of games doing this now? What's the difference?

I see complaints about gouging from a forum that supported the $30 every six month updates for EQ. They never fixed shit but people still bought in right? This game is a measly $15. Don't support if you dont like the idea, etc but talking about rich guys gouging gaming hipsters everywhere sounds pretty stupid. Smed isn't going to learn anything from this KS because the game will be made either way. He hasn't advertised it well enough yet and has already made a lot of the same mistakes that Pantheon Hero did but this isn't going to stop the game from being made. He actually has real funding for his game too! Must be the superior decisions he made in life.

If this game doesn't make it, then maybe there isn't enough interest(which there probably isn't). But playing the downtrodden masses/vs evil corporate overlord shit is stupid. Acting like this guy is any different than most developers/designers is stupid. Acting like anyone is going to fund something costly if there are other options is stupid.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Plot twist: the $1 million he's already received from investors is his own money, because no one wants to invest in this junk.
It might be part of his settlement from Daybreak. Columbus Nova fired him and he did not sue in exchange for an investment in his game studio (speculating here). I mean for real what kind of idiot would invest in that company? They have a lawyer on payroll. A. Fucking. Lawyer. Full time. Just because he was his buddy at SOE.

Also in regards to a previous thread about budgets. As someone who had access to said budgets, yeah, he was always late and over budget (or in the case of H1Z1 just push out of the door something was wasn't finished - not even tested - just incomplete). And it's not that games take a long time to make. They do. This is why you have a limited set of features that you want to ship and not 5 million bullshit races, anti-permadeath quest mechanics, multiplayer etc that you announce you are going to have at launch because everyone internally know it's just lying.

Hero's Song is just another example. It could take at least 6 months of playtesting before release to balance a game like that. Instead he is promising that the game will be out in 9 months. I mean he will get my money but I wish he would stop. He destroyed SOE with that bullshit and now he is doing it again.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Aren't there tons of games doing this now?
Yes, which is kind of the point of the outrage/disdain for this project. Consumers need to stop shoveling money toward "early access" and "pay for betas". It started slowly with DLC, then migrated to micro-transactions, and now consumers are literallypayingto develop the game from the ground up (and in some cases even funding the fuckingstartupof a company - all with no ROI).

And all of this only a little over a decade removed from the days when developers practically begged people to beta test their games. Hell, I remember when they even used to hand out schwag just for doing so.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yes, which is kind of the point of the outrage/disdain for this project. Consumers need to stop shoveling money toward "early access" and "pay for betas". It started slowly with DLC, then migrated to micro-transactions, and now consumers are literallypayingto develop the game from the ground up (and in some cases even funding the fuckingstartupof a company - all with no ROI).

And all of this only a little over a decade removed from the days when developers practically begged people to beta test their games. Hell, I remember when they even used to hand out schwag just for doing so.
Exactly this. I liked the days when companies made video games and we supported those companies by purchasing said game. For the most part, the lower level tiers in KS are a joke, and they're looking for people to donate hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars toward their game with absolutely no ROI; unless you're just satisfied to have your name mentioned in the credits or on some obscure plaque somewhere in the game.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guess I'm the only one here who dosen't think its failing because of the early access, kickstarter, Smedley thing. I just think the game looks like poo and no one cares about a 1986 Nintendo game?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still trying to figure out why he thought people would be excited for a 2d game. This is a guy who has made statements as if they were fact in regards to the industry to support whatever type game he was making at the time. I'm sure he laughed at Brad when it came to Pantheon but holy shit, I'd gladly risk money on Pantheon over a 2D game..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
A million, that's it? I bet his severance from Sony/DB was 5x that much. Use your own fucking money Smed, the fuck?
I think you're way overestimating what people get paid in the video game industry.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Cause when u can get it from others based on your own mediocre performance, why not ?

Ha , a Twitch Streamer that goes by CohhCarnage is a world designer for this game and a consultant. Just heard him say this on his stream, i mean i know nothing of this dude but he says he has been with them for 3 months now.