Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I think you're way overestimating what people get paid in the video game industry.
I think you are forgetting we are talking about the CEO.

Also, there is a lot of deep pockets running around in this industry with very high / well paying jobs. Animators, Programmers, producers, director roles, etc.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Ha , a Twitch Streamer that goes by CohhCarnage is a world designer for this game and a consultant. Just heard him say this on his stream, i mean i know nothing of this dude but he says he has been with them for 3 months now.
Don't know much about that guy other than he has a huge temper which we found out after griefing him in ArcheAge.

Needless

Toe Sucker
He's also insanely annoying too, dude legit aspie raged the few times i accidentally clicked his stream.

What a shame it's another distraction from Rothfuss, he seem's to think he's on Sanderson's tier on creativity and ability to deliver kek

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think you are forgetting we are talking about the CEO.

Also, there is a lot of deep pockets running around in this industry with very high / well paying jobs. Animators, Programmers, producers, director roles, etc.
Exactly. We're not talking about some low level schlep here. He was the CEO of SOE for years.

imijj_sl

shitlord
Canceled. Didnt see that one coming, nope lol.
It's amazing to me that people still think they can get $800,000 from people based on the fact that they made a few shitty images in photoshop and their name was on the original EQ. They had nothing to show on that KS page other than Smedley's dumb face.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I dont understand most of the arguments on this thread. He is doing the same thing that tons of people(even on this forum) supported when Roberts did it for a space sim that is still not finished. This game will probably be done this year. That's a far superior turnaround than Star Citizen so far isn't it?
Yes, but Star Citizen is a ponzi scheme where the payout is pictures of imaginary spaceships, so I'm not sure that's that big of a compliment.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's embarrassing and ignorant on their part. Surely they understood why this wasn't going anywhere?

imijj_sl

shitlord
That streamer, who is working with them, said the game was still going to be made. I guess the game isn't canceled just the kickstarter.
Yep, Smedley's twitter says as much. I don't think they ever needed the KS money, which probably explains how half-assed it was.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The KS really was as incompetently done as Crackman's. The leadership at SOE was so bad... and some things never change. Smed's going to cry some tears in a bucket of mozz sticks later today.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
lol

We're taking the Kickstarter down

After looking at our funding levels and the reality that we aren't going to reach our funding goals, we've decided that the best thing to do is to end the Kickstarter. We sincerely appreciate all of the support we got from the backers and the Kickstarter community. This was our first Kickstarter and we made mistakes along the way. I want to acknowledge that right up front. We put a lot of time and effort into the Kickstarter, but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump.

So where do we go from here? Well the good news is that our Investors are backing us all the way and we're going to get Hero's Song done exactly when we said we would. I'm also happy to say that we've been able to do this without having to take money from publishers, something that was of key importance to us so that we could remain in creative control.

We'll be updating you all along the way.. holding development streams (on Cohhcarnage's stream on Twitch) and being completely transparent with our development process. You'll be hearing from us all the time and we'll be updating our website and all of you on a constant basis as we have cool stuff to show.

Thanks again for all the support you've shown, and thanks for the constructive criticism as well. We took that to heart and we've learned a lot from it.

Kickstarter remains an incredible source of both goodwill and community support, and we'll never forget the kindness our backers showed us.

Thanks and we'll see you soon!

Smed and the Pixelmage Games Team.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well the good news is that our Investors are backing us all the way andwe're going to get Hero's Song done exactly when we said we would
So, what the fuck was the point of the Kickstarter then? Oh, right..to try and bilk a few hundred thousand more from your potential customers, duh.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tons of free advertising. Let's be honest here, we are all gonna be keeping an eye on this now to see if it fails or not.

imijj_sl

shitlord
So, what the fuck was the point of the Kickstarter then? Oh, right..to try and bilk a few hundred thousand more from your potential customers, duh.
That's the point of kickstarter. It was originally a good idea when it was used to help get shit done that couldn't happen otherwise, but now it's just a way for developers to tax diehard fans/morons before the product comes out. I mean, I don't even know how mad you can be at Smed, I'm pretty sure he said that the game was going to be made with or without kickstarter, so I'm not sure what these people thought they were paying for.