Hero's Song by John Smedley - ARPG/MMO Lite

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I just can't get over how clunky character control is. They should have made it an MMO CRPG with turn-based combat.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I just can't get over how clunky character control is. They should have made it an MMO CRPG with turn-based combat.
Looks like it plays like D2.

I'm good with that, if the powers are interesting and fun.

I stand by my player run server reservation.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Convo Convo if you have access to the guy, mind asking him if PS4 release is a possibility?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
New video with Smed, Patrick Rothfuss, and some other guy I don't know:

No new gameplay, just them talking about the game. Have to admit, I'm really liking this whole god-based world generation system, and it's sounding like there's shades of the whole StoryBricks thing going on with this game (with the world generation at least, we'll see if it shows up in the moment-to-moment gameplay). And as someone who geeks out over interesting magic systems, the talk about making a cohesive magic system across all the classes has me intrigued.

Not going to herald this as the Second Coming or anything, but I legitimately hope Smed pulls this one off.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Convo Convo if you have access to the guy, mind asking him if PS4 release is a possibility?

Not his choice. If the game is well received they will want it on the PS4 as to some extent it's still a walled garden.

But he sold 1k units on day 1 and 500 on day 2. Somehow I don't think this is going to happen.

At this point any other studio would kill this game and then salvage as much as possible and do something else (like you could completely scrap the multiplayer stack and make it a single player while saving a ton in development costs and testing - perhaps introduce multiplayer in a future update).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
His choice to go this route is still a head scratcher to me. Dude had access to all kinds of projections and this is what he settled on? A few months ago ponytail was telling me how he thought they made the right decision with EQN and not chasing EQ3. No doubt that was a top down mindset but they failed with both projects.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
His choice to go this route is still a head scratcher to me. Dude had access to all kinds of projections and this is what he settled on? A few months ago ponytail was telling me how he thought they made the right decision with EQN and not chasing EQ3. No doubt that was a top down mindset but they failed with both projects.

Stardew Valley and Terraria both are big successes and they also are derivative of other successful games. So wouldn't shoot down the idea of an Ultima-esque/Stardew + AI game in advance. But design needs to be highly iterative and the first Kickstarter should have been a strong signal that people won't take at face value the statement that this game is any good without playing first.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It is a solid idea. The worldgen / history is straight out of dwarf fortress. Not thrilled by the art, but going 2D does save a ton of money.

If they can do interesting quests (and that's a big if), there will be lots of replay value. The key is to make them unique so you can't just spoiler them, without making them too generic. Randomized quests have never been that great (nor have randomized items imho).

Will be curious to see how they handle world evolution too. If you clear a dungeon, does it stay cleared or respawn? If everything is rule based from the history it should be possible for players to change things if they want. Though every game that has ever tried that has been left with a smoldering ruin of a world.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just watched the whole vid, there are no random items! That could be really great if the old EQ guys are making stuff. EQ had so many great items.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Ultimately, I have...carefully metered hopium for this game. I mean, the controls/world gen/etc look like it could lead to some effin fun playtime.

But, its Smed. so it'll fucking crash like a motherfucker.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
So will there be permanent servers or no?
I don't believe so. If i remember correctly, they are going to have a interface where you can join community servers, but those will be player controlled and run servers. I may be wrong though.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wanted to be in but it just doesn't look very good and the Indiegogo is kinda pathetic considering this is a second attempt after an even more pathetic Kickstarter. The art stuff is cheap iOS shit. They would have been better served going with pixel art rather than the odd Clash of Clans shit I'm seeing.

Maric

N00b
I backed this. $15, run your own server, no DRM, amazing world building tech, lore and design input by Pat Rothfuss. Nothing not to like about it imo.

Mryd

Golden Knight of the Realm
I backed this. $15, run your own server, no DRM, amazing world building tech, lore and design input by Pat Rothfuss. Nothing not to like about it imo.

Yeah, I'm with you. Kind of hard to shoot this down when it is only 15 bucks. Looks interesting.

• 1Like