Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Very Nice. I am now 3/4 for winning drafts. I learned a valuable lesson with the draft I lost. Do not have my wife in the room talking to me about stuff while playing. I made 2 costly mistakes and that was that. 4th match was fun though. Nothing says I am playing white like 2 exiles, King Gabriel and a Spearknight. An Angel would have just put it over the top, but it worked fine. I actually went Red/White as my Red consisted of 3 lances and 2 pyromancers along with a next to last pick burn(?). I also had the guy that has a power and toughness equal to the number of cards they have in their hand. He just ruins control's tempo and if they have a slow start, the game just gets over fast. Second guy I played told me my deck was awesome. Then he proceeds to play an Eternal Guardian after I had used my control. Good times...

The Kismet chest spin surprised me. I had not been aware that a player could win packs of cards. I won two plus the uncommon mercenary with a roll on a common chest.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Is drafting fun in this game?
Yes, very. The card set is deep, with interesting interactions, and well balanced. Draft puts everyone on an even footing card wise, and has a few levels of extra strategy observing what's being passed. The limited cards for draft decks also lead to some fun effects you wouldn't normally see in constructed decks, like launching the herald of doom, or exploding someone's face with reginald or the eternal spear.

There's the occasional rage moment, when you draw 7 lands, then zero lands, then 4 lands, or you get to turn 10 without getting the color land you need, but that's the nature of the game heh.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The Kismet chest spin surprised me. I had not been aware that a player could win packs of cards. I won two plus the uncommon mercenary with a roll on a common chest.
If you mouseover the list on the left, it'll tell you what each gives. Interestingly, the chest upgrade works on legendary chests to turn them into primal chests. I'm not sure, but I'd guess there's a 'super' primal chest type too to cover the double upgrade roll.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Also looks like you cannot leave a tournament until it is over. I lost the first round of a draft and wanted to start another one, it won't let me leave the lobby and says if I do leave I will forfeit my 5000 gold "losers award"
Not sure what happened for you, but I have had to trouble leaving drafts after being eliminated - they just mail the 5k gold to you when it's eventually won. I actually received it in the middle of another draft I had started.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You can do that in MTGO too. It just requires winning more than you spend on drafts. Which is really fucking hard.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I got one achievement out of the way. Winning a draft with no rare or legendary cards in the deck is a descent achievement.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Technically you can find keys to get into beta now even if you aren't a KS backer.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love this game. Here I am doing great in drafts and then I get schooled on how powerful "Eldon's Distress Signal" is in a draft. I got my ass handed to me with that card. It was not a total loss as I did draft my first Jadiim for my collection, but it was certainly a learning experience. The more I play this game, the more I appreciate just how good the first set is.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well if anyone sees beta keys being given away, give a hollar here - surely interested in taking a peek, and I'm sure I'm not alone heh

Flight

Molten Core Raider
They really need to publish rules -lot's of little things don't work like MtG (prioirities etc) and you don't know if it's bugged or working as intended.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was that your post I read Flight on the Hex forums? It is widely accepted, but not by all, that they went to a monetized version to soon. I do agree that at this point, they need to lay down the rules for the new players trying the game. There are major differences between this game and MtG that players need to be aware of. Resource management and gems just to name two big examples."Closed" Beta might be the reason CZE is still not hitting that nail like they should.

Also, time management is a fairly important part of the game. Having the rules laid out would help the new players out. I never even attempted tournament until I had played many players one on one but I had the advantage of having done this already before the tournament system released.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was that your post I read Flight on the Hex forums? It is widely accepted, but not by all, that they went to a monetized version to soon. I do agree that at this point, they need to lay down the rules for the new players trying the game. There are major differences between this game and MtG that players need to be aware of. Resource management and gems just to name two big examples."Closed" Beta might be the reason CZE is still not hitting that nail like they should.

Also, time management is a fairly important part of the game. Having the rules laid out would help the new players out. I never even attempted tournament until I had played many players one on one but I had the advantage of having done this already before the tournament system released.
I want to get into this but as a closed beta player I just cant justify spending more money than vip. The game needs more ways to bring in players, unless they plan on making all their money off a few people.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I want to get into this but as a closed beta player I just cant justify spending more money than vip. The game needs more ways to bring in players, unless they plan on making all their money off a few people.
Yeah, their plan on that front is a large F2P PVE side. Unfortunately they seem to be epically behind schedule, and have no signs of any of it available yet, and no ETA.

Still, I think the gold/plat economy will be pretty solid whenever pve does go in - the gold cost of rolling the PVP chests is much higher than all but the extreme pro players are likely to get in tournaments, so there's going to be a lot of PVPers wanting gold I think.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had 3 free draft tickets from saved up Pro weeklies that I ran through yesterday. I grabbed a bunch of rares and wound up winning a few packs and 25k gold. I spent 15k gold rolling slot machines on chests with no idea what the fuck I was doing and no real idea what that accomplished. If anybody knows of a blog or write up on what the chests and slot machine do, let me know.

My thoughts on the draft were that his was fun and I'm very glad I got the Pro tier as 1 free draft a week is $7 so it will more than pay for itself in the first year, and after going through some of these I can see that this game is going to have legs. If they can nail the PVE content I will be one happy Hex player.