Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Mikey78_sl

shitlord
In the middle of a draft right now. Went 2-0 in round one. For some reason they let me draft 5 buccaneers and 3 burns
smile.png
. I have a good feeling about this one.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Can someone post the new patch notes here for us to read, my computer is behind an infinite work firewall, would really apprecaite it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Patch Notes - v0.9.1.003c
May 13, 2014

This is a basic bug fixing patch.

General

Back-end tournament messaging has been optimized. This means there's less lag!
A situation in which the AI could get stuck, preventing progress in Player vs. AI games, has been resolved. The computer won't try to win a staring contest against you anymore.
Resolved a situation in which a player could get stuck "loading data" on log-in. You can actually get in the game now. Hooray!
An exploit involving cards with optional abilities/choice windows that caused the incorrect players timer to be used has been resolved. We're looking at you, Soul Marble.
An exploit involving Pheromones has been resolved. Hippo nuzzling is no longer against the rules.
An exploit involving the gem Ruby of Flames has been resolved. That'll be two threshold, buddy.

Known Issues

Tournament rewards no longer display the quantity of the item received. It'll show up correctly in your stash.
Un-assigning blockers that were forced to block a troop affected by Pheromones can cause you to lose the game. So, uhhhh, don't do that.
A visual bug can cause players to see more booster packs than they currently possess. Don't hit "log out." Just close the client and log back in.
A visual bug can cause players to not see items they've recently purchased from the HEX store. Again, don't hit "log out." Just close the client and log back in.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Trippy, was just wondering the other day if WOTC was going to give them grief - they are known for it after all. To be fair, some of the cards I've seen are copies of cards WOTC released over a decade ago (nevermind all the copied mechanics and systems), so might be an uphill battle.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Trippy, was just wondering the other day if WOTC was going to give them grief - they are known for it after all. To be fair, some of the cards I've seen are copies of cards WOTC released over a decade ago (nevermind all the copied mechanics and systems), so might be an uphill battle.
I don't know anything about these type of games. When you say copy do you mean very similar or just a down right copy of an actual card form artwork to name? We have seen mechanics, classes, art styles and just about everything else copied in video games since the start and I can't recall anyone getting sued for it unless it was using code or some of the shit that happens with mobile games.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
WOTC has patented actual mechanics of the game - tapping (exhausting in HEX), etc., as well as "collecting" the cards, if you can believe that They, and Hasbro even more so, have aggressively gone after anyone even thinking of encroaching on these patents.

When I say copied, I mean, I'm looking at a green card that costs 1 colorless, 1 green, for a 2/2 creature. I think I even saw a Serra Angel ripoff. Plus more iirc. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I think it makes your case harder that you're not stepping on their patents when you are copying cards, and simply changing the names/artwork.

velk

Trakanon Raider
When I say copied, I mean, I'm looking at a green card that costs 1 colorless, 1 green, for a 2/2 creature. I think I even saw a Serra Angel ripoff. Plus more iirc. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I think it makes your case harder that you're not stepping on their patents when you are copying cards, and simply changing the names/artwork.
That definition of "copied" has no hope of winning anything. Which is a good thing, because being able to copyright 'a unit with 2 attack' would be unbelievably stupid and disruptive.

The actual patent for MTG ishereand is actually pretty well written, specific and descriptive, which I suspect they now regret, given that would be the only reason every other TCG have been avoiding it by renaming things for the last x years.

From a common sense perspective, it's obvious that Hex blatantly ripped off Magic - from a legal perspective it's a good deal murkier.

Also,Angel of Dawnis way better than Serra Angel ! ;p

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That definition of "copied" has no hope of winning anything. Which is a good thing, because being able to copyright 'a unit with 2 attack' would be unbelievably stupid and disruptive.

The actual patent for MTG ishereand is actually pretty well written, specific and descriptive, which I suspect they now regret, given that would be the only reason every other TCG have been avoiding it by renaming things for the last x years.

From a common sense perspective, it's obvious that Hex blatantly ripped off Magic - from a legal perspective it's a good deal murkier.

Also,Angel of Dawnis way better than Serra Angel ! ;p
If that is the only Magic patent, and we know you cannot copyright game mechanics, then how would Hasbro have a prayer of winning this lawsuit?

It is also interesting that we are talking about a video game here so that means if CoD doesn't infringe on Battlefield (and vice versa) then how could it apply here?

Finally, it looks like Hex is based more off theWoW TCG, and if Hasbro never took legal action to protect MtG from WoW, then what claim do they have now?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Maybe they know they are unlikely to win their lawsuit, but intend to make Hex waste some of their funding in legal battles, instead of putting it into further development? That's the kind of stuff you see on TV, but I have no idea if that's an actual thing IRL.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well this is probably a defining case. If Crypto wins the floodgates open if not..

In the meantime Hex is in limbo for probably a year or more.
frown.png

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Well this is probably a defining case. If Crypto wins the floodgates open if not..

In the meantime Hex is in limbo for probably a year or more.
frown.png
So if wizards wins this case do the people who payed big bucks to back this getting fucked right in the ass?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're probably not winning but it might get Crypto to stop developping for so long they'll end up having to cancel the game, which is probably what they're going for. They didn't bother filing a lawsuit against Blizzard when Crypto was doing the WoW game for example, even though as far as I understand it was also extremely similar to MTG. Fucking assholes, if they actually made a good MTG online client, people wouldn't fucking bother buying another game copying MTG.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Maybe they know they are unlikely to win their lawsuit, but intend to make Hex waste some of their funding in legal battles, instead of putting it into further development? That's the kind of stuff you see on TV, but I have no idea if that's an actual thing IRL.
Yes, this. They don't expect to win, just to drain crypto dry. Them going out of business is a win for them anyway.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah reading the thread on Neogaf, it might be possible they actually win because of how similar the game rules and a lot of cards are, even though there's also a lot of differences. Sounds pretty shitty if that's the case. Hopefully they can still release the pve version by changing some rules, but it'd mean they would have a lot of angry people on their hands.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
yeah page 15 of that link with the double column comparison plus the preceeding stuff is pretty sketch.