Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I really want to like this, but having a hard time with the idea of throwing money at it trying to build a collection. Looks like it'll take at least 100$ or so to get any sort of card base built, and between the ho-hum arena gains, constant game freezes and bugs, and some of the questionable looking balance they have with their mythics I don't know if I really want to get invested.

Also, who knows if it's gonna survive the lawsuit still.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm into it for the $250 Kickstarter package and I think most people here are. I have no plans to ever pay more into it. If I was starting from scratch I would figure out a budget type deck that can still win, like the robot/dwarf deck and then buy plat and get the cards directly from the AH. I think that should get someone into the game for very cheap and they would be able to play and beat the AI arena and win rewards.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've been able to clear to the final arena tier using a completely free u/w fish-type deck with inspire and such. It mostly revolves around abusing the god-tier man-o-war buccaneer creature and flying past the bad combat AI with the fox champion power. It could probably be a real deck if I dropped some money to improve overall card quality in it, but meh I still don't think I can do yet. Not yet anyway.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't see any reason why any deck based around vamp king/angel wouldn't be one of the best. Those cards simply have no peer in the game right now.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah, Vamp king/Angel of Dawn are still amazing. They aren't as god mode as they were with just the single set out with cards like Eye of Creation opening up other colors, but they are definitely still top tier.

Renquist_sl

shitlord
The new unbeatable deck seems to be the mono sapphire deck that includes reese, menacing gralk, eldritch dreamer with draw gem, and mastery of time.

I played the runner up in the sapphire cup and he was playing this deck and it made me want to gouge my eyes out. There was one game he had 3 turns in a row.

Raign

Golden Squire
The new unbeatable deck seems to be the mono sapphire deck that includes reese, menacing gralk, eldritch dreamer with draw gem, and mastery of time.

I played the runner up in the sapphire cup and he was playing this deck and it made me want to gouge my eyes out. There was one game he had 3 turns in a row.
I don't use that deck, but the one I run easily locks into an infinite turn loop where you can literally lock your opponent out indefinitely. There are definitely some brutal combos in the current meta, but there are counters (Inferno is a good example of one that punishes infinite turn decks) as well. Sideboarding is pretty essential to make it anywhere in tournaments.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea the game reminds me a lot of Urza-ish block MTG right now. Card power is really, really high all over the place and there are loads of degenerate things you can accomplish.

Has anyone opened mass packs in this and can speak to that vs just buying singles for plat?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Spin, open, whatever. Still not in game. Honestly thought spin opened them but was added first because it costs gold. I got an equipment out of one spin.
The difference is you keep the chest after spinning it - so a pretty big diff ;p

Spinning is totally optional, it's mostly to give PVPers a use for gold, so they will want to sell cards for gold instead of plat.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yea the game reminds me a lot of Urza-ish block MTG right now. Card power is really, really high all over the place and there are loads of degenerate things you can accomplish.

Has anyone opened mass packs in this and can speak to that vs just buying singles for plat?
It is really no different than any other card game in that ripping packs is heavily dependent on how lucky you are. If you are just starting out and don't really have a solid base of rares/uncommons to draw from, I would say rip/pray until you have a thousand or so card base is the way to go, but if you are hunting legendary cards to round out a deck, buying singles is going to save you a lot of aggravation and time selling spares on the AH for likely little/no more cost.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Eh, I opened like 400 packs in set 1 and didn't get a full playset (kickstarter 'freebies'). From what I can see, 90% of the rares are less than half the cost of a pack on the AH, and then there are a few that blow the curve, usually for whatever is "in" at the current time.

The math on that one is pretty simple - opening packs to try and get a specific deck is the the worst possible way you can do it. Sure it may smart buying a mega hulk for 25 bucks, but the chances of you getting one in 15 packs is incredibly small, and the chances of running through like 1000 packs and not managing to get four of that one card are disturbingly high. ( Legend is 1/8, you get 1 chance per pack, there are 18 legendaries - you have a 5% chance of not getting a *single* hulk out of 1000 packs )

Also if you do decide to go packs ( i.e. you don't care what you get, you want to seize inspiration from the randomness ), never buy the packs from the store, buy them from the AH instead.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Arena is solved, 20-0 back to back with affinity that contains I think...1 rare? 2? Let the farming commence.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think over-all my favorite deck I made had to have been the 5 color midnight shepherd reanimator. Lost all the time because it was too slow back then, but it was worth it to go into some darkspire priestess sac to hophiro destroy a creature sheperd back onto the field etc.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Replaced Scrap Welders in the Affinity deck with Rocket Rangers. AI is too stupid to realize he'll be an 8/4 flier next turn.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Arena is solved, 20-0 back to back with affinity that contains I think...1 rare? 2? Let the farming commence.
Play it for the fun, someone on reddit worked out the value of your time if you were to farm it and sell your rewards on the AH and it is something like 15 cents an hour.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Especially now. All the equipment has about dropped to rock bottom value. Even though, I think 0.15 cents an hour is a bit low. I still make about 100 plat a run not including gold and I can finish in about 1.5 hours. Obviously still not that good but also not that low. Artifact swarm works just fine especially when equipped. I always go 18/20 and I have run perfects games with it.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
85 cents in 1.5 hours, not bad but you are using the fastest deck. That thing can get turn 4, turn 5 kills consistently. I have had a few turn 3 kills with it! For the people using slower decks I think 15 cents an hour is pretty close.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Play it for the fun, someone on reddit worked out the value of your time if you were to farm it and sell your rewards on the AH and it is something like 15 cents an hour.
I'm not sure why it's fun to take a netdeck, pay money for it, then do exactly what it is supposed to do with it against a series of set decks over and over again?

This is like the kids who used to spend $200+ to tune a deck to beat my FNM random shit hodgepodge deck of the week so next week I'd change the sideboard for $3 in hoser uncommons I might not have and do it again. Such value. Many promo cards. Wow.