Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Murked

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The one video says they are working on the 2nd and 3rd edition cards already, so I wouldn't be too concerned with lack of variety in deck building. It's not some mom and pop company, they have a lot of experience and I'm stoked!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I figure they have a ton of resources to draw from(MtG) and so should have more cards coming out fairly fast. I did not notice the equipment was PvE only. That makes more sense, but hope they will use that mechanic for PvP in the future even if a lot less powerful equipment is used. I really am looking forward to building some crazy decks just based around the few cards I have seen up to this point. Being able to Goldfish decks almost makes the 4 dollar monthly worth it by itself.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I figure they have a ton of resources to draw from(MtG) and so should have more cards coming out fairly fast. I did not notice the equipment was PvE only. That makes more sense, but hope they will use that mechanic for PvP in the future even if a lot less powerful equipment is used. I really am looking forward to building some crazy decks just based around the few cards I have seen up to this point. Being able to Goldfish decks almost makes the 4 dollar monthly worth it by itself.
Confirming what Pyros said earlier. They have mentioned that they'll have a PvP format that allows access to your equipment, but that it's not going to be considered "official" and wins/losses in that format aren't going to automatically count towards world championships, etc. That seems like a good best of both worlds solution. I doubt they'll ever move towards allowing equipment in the main PvP format, unless they completely revamp it. Not only does some of the equipment seem borderline broken (which is fine when your opponent is a presumably overpowered raid deck you're expected to play 3:1), but PvE is the vector for getting equipment and they don't want PvE to alter PvP power balance at all.

As for the numbers, 350 is a pretty decent base set size (and mind you, that's 350 PvP only, looks like 650ish for PvE+PvP combined). In my experience, it's about par for the course for base sets or possibly a little bit higher. The only TCG I'm remembering that had a significantly larger base set than that was Jyhad, which was somewhere in the 500s IIRC. Possible I'm forgetting some others though. I've played a loooooooooot of TCGs over the years. And as other people have mentioned, they're already working on sets 2 and 3 and sketching out 4, which will start a new block. It will probably still be about two years before the PvP card pool is the same size as a standard tournament magic card pool, but that's always going to be the case with new properties. At least it's not Legend of the Burning Sands or the like. That only had a 150 card base set. Didn't get a proper 300ish card set until the game was already dead.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I saw on the forum that Draegan linked that one of the devs said two very interesting things:

1.) They will not be going after anyone trying to sell cards/account on eBay or forums

2.) There will be no wipe after beta.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty hyped for this. God I wish the beta wasn't so far away.
I'm hoping that some of the other kickstarted online TCGs help fill the void for me. Infinity Wars should be full beta within the month I think. Solforge is already available in a very crude beta form. And Card Hunter is still steadily sending out beta invites.

Hopefully those on top of the host of console RPGs coming up (Shin Megami Tensei IV, Tales of Xilia, Dragon's Crown, Time and Eternity) will keep me sane while waiting.

And there's always a chance the gods will smile, and I'll land a Wildstar beta invite.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I am in Card Hunter Beta, its Pretty badass mix between CCG and Tabletop Dungeon campaign crawls.
Jealous. I signed up for that a while back, being a gigantic Jonathan Chey/System Shock 2 fan, but the beta fairies seem to hate me on this one. Actually had an old guild member pop on IRC saying he had gotten a beta invite and had no idea what it was. I almost wept.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah on that note, they said they're doing a twitch.tv show on friday where they'll show the game being played, and not in a beginner oriented way like the one they have up right now(which explains rules and shit but if you've ever played MTG is boring as fuck). I assume they'll display the advantages of the digital only features, there's already a bunch of interesting cards that make use of it, including the one that unlock with stretch goals that lets you pay X and change the card into a random creatures in the entire game that has the same cost(which for obvious reasons is impossible to do with physical cards).

Jealous. I signed up for that a while back, being a gigantic Jonathan Chey/System Shock 2 fan, but the beta fairies seem to hate me on this one. Actually had an old guild member pop on IRC saying he had gotten a beta invite and had no idea what it was. I almost wept.
They are Sending out lots of keys all the time now keep an eye out!

Edit:Card Hunter is, Done talking about CH in Hex thread sry guys.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Still, with a 350 card pool, the best deck is going to be found pretty quickly I assume.
If the game isn't a complete shit show, there won't be >A< best deck. Top tier decks sure, but the best decks in any game will fall hard to meta saturation causing decks to be built as a hard counter, barring broken cards that end up being ban-fodder. *cough* Skullclamp *cough*.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if cards will be outright banned, or just modified in patches?
Its rare in CCGs that don't have a RL version to ban them - after all having useless cards on your account is zero fun and a constant eyesore reminder. Ones that do have an RL presence have to maintain product consistency - its not because they don't want to patch them if able.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well they met the 540k mark. I wonder if there will be more stretch goals..
There's a bunch more they said they're gonna reveal them today or so. Basically that whole stretch goal picture shows there's like a large amount more.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Its rare in CCGs that don't have a RL version to them - after all having useless cards on your account is zero fun and a constant eyesore reminder. Ones that do have an RL presence have to maintain product consistency - its not because they don't want to patch them if able.
More than one format, though. I could see degenerate PvP cards being meh in PvE.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
They tossed out the next two stretch goals at 600k and 660k:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/482859

Nothing really groundbreaking there. 3 new raids at launch at 600k and squire and up get 3 free booster drafts (so another 21$ in value). 660k gets 5 new gameboards with new animations and flash. And knight and above get a new PvE card. And everyone gets one of each extra exclusive PvE card they're entitled to (except the lotus)

More interestingly, they gave their first proper dungeon reveal:http://hextcg.com/enter-the-arena/

Sounds like there's an interesting global favor mechanic happening in the dungeon. Things like that give me hope for lots of interesting achievements to overcome. "You only get card x if you beat the arena with favor y" for example.