Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still don't understand the economy of this game at all. I needed some minor equipments last night so I went out on the AH and looked for them. I saw several I needed at a bid price of 1p and a buyout of 2p so I bought them out.

That is literally 2 cents, is it not? If that is correct, how is it worth someone's time to list shit for a 2 cent sale?

Not that I'm complaining about it, glad they had them out there but I just don't understand the economics.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Because you can pick up 10-15 of those per run through the PvE content as well as some gold. Those things can translate directly into more plat for them to buy packs, cards, or PvP cards for "free."

Having said all that; there is no value in doing any of the above because the time commitment to make any real gains is absurd.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really hope they eventually have some kind of crafting to meltdown the useless overburden of white equipment. Even just opening my common chests I've got mountains of duplicates.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Actually, the economy is biased towards F2P players unfortunately and here's why.
Gold is so in demand that you can get a booster pack ($2) in three Arena runs only! (~15,000 gold). I haven't seen in any game where ~1 hour would net an (arguably) $2 worth of items in game. Yes, you can run one hour and get a boosterpack that would cost you otherwise $2 and I think that's a little crazy. People are willing to sell their packs because we're seriously bored of running the arena (it's BORING) and it's the only reliable gold resource in the game at the moment.

I have hundreds of Legendary chests collecting dust and I need like 5,000,000 gold to roll on them alone (not evening considering the Rare and below chests).

velk

Trakanon Raider
As a FYI for anyone still playing, there is a gencon event going on at the moment in game, you get special packs that have exclusive items from this year, and previous convention years ( this year is a set of PVE cloud elementals with equipment, last years a number of exclusive mercenaries ) from playing arena, gauntlet or drafts.

Even if you don't want any of the items, there's probably going to be some serious value in them, given that Gax the mercenary was going for about $20 prior to this event, despite the fact that he does literally nothing at the moment.

Mikey78_sl

shitlord
I love set 3 - tons of fun. I have also been averaging one of those special packs per arena run (assuming I go 15-0). The new gauntlet format means you don't need to dedicate 2 hours to drafting if you don't want to. PM me if you need any equip or want some extra rares that I have more than 4 of (I sell the stuff that goes for > 100 plat, but hand out the rest)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mikey I would definitely like to get some of your extra equipment if you have some that I don't have. I haven't added anybody to my friends list in game yet so I don't know how all that works but my in game name is badaxe.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Logged in yesterday for the first time in forever, any reason not to open 160 set 1 packs, lol?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they were set 3 packs I would say to hold onto them all and do the gauntlet, but I don't think set 1 or 2 packs have any purpose right now. Theoretically might be of greater value someday but that is pretty far fetched. I would say open them all and use the cards and chests.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It gives me hope that just maybe they really do have a good PvE system coming. My only concern is that the more complicated the system, the more bugs that can surface. Also, a much smarter player than me will break it some how.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think they particularly care if their pve gets broken. It's inevitable with this many moving parts. Which is why it's segregated from the PVP content that they actually care about balancing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How about the fact that it's been years and the little teaser BS for their PvE dungeons and raids on Kickstarter are still just that.

velk

Trakanon Raider
So, I got into a CCG mood this week and installed this. What do I need to know?
The above two posters are harsh, but fair ;p

Avoiding spending any money, you'll want to start off and do the tutorials, then the starter trails for whatever deck you picked, and after that is the frost ring arena. Don't pick bunnies as a starter deck, not only are they horrible, the starter also contains not a single competitive card for pve or pvp. Vennen deck is also pretty terrible to start, but it has a lot of great pieces in it.

You'll probably get exploded when you try arena to start, but you can use the gold from there to buy stuff on the auction house. Almost every drop from arena is worthless for selling, but some of them can improve your deck quite a lot. For example, if you went orcs, brutal commanders and xocoy are both excellent additions, as is the equipment for the cards you already have in your deck.

The PVP side is pretty much pay to play, and the constructed format is absolutely pay to win ( that's the one where you get to make up your deck beforehand ). The draft format is a theoretically an even playing field, where you each put in 3 packs, then pass them around, taking one card each time. There is a great deal of skill and background knowledge involved in the card selection though, so expect to lose a lot to begin with.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, you net ~7,000 gold per Arena run and you can complete an Arena in 30-45 minutes (depends on the deck).
Some people calculated how many hours you need to spend grinding gold to get into a draft tournament (worth $7) and it's around 5-6 hours. I've never played any game where your 5 hours equals to $7 retail value.

So, it's very practical to play for free if you don't mind grinding PvE.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not only is constructed a pay to win(Unless you PvE for a long time) but the Meta is kind of dorked at the moment thanks to Titiana. It creates a turn 3 win condition that is more consistent than it should be.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They definitely need to fix their balance issues before constructed play can even be taken seriously. They made the mistake that MTG avoided with rarities and there is very a obvious and perceivable power rampup in to their legendary cards.

velk

Trakanon Raider
They definitely need to fix their balance issues before constructed play can even be taken seriously. They made the mistake that MTG avoided with rarities and there is very a obvious and perceivable power rampup in to their legendary cards.
Meh, apart from angel of dawn, which will probably be 4 of in any white deck ever, and reese, who will take some serious work to get out of a blue deck, almost every legendary has been fringe useful at best.

The current complaining about titania is 100% focused on titania itself, which is a rare, not a legendary. It's breathed new life into previously junk legendaries like Ozawa.

Also, while Titania is obviously controversial, it's worth mentioning that the last big tournament was won by a blood diamond deck, despite 90% of the tournament running titania like good little sheep 8)