Highlander

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Swords are a fucking meme at this point. What are you gonna do?

Have fun drawing tons of unwanted attention to yourself with firearms when the Zombie apocalypse happens, sucker.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Have fun drawing tons of unwanted attention to yourself with firearms when the Zombie apocalypse happens, sucker.

If State of Decay has taught me anything, it's that one Molotov and me calling in some sniper cover from a neighboring enclave will allow me to get home safely, no matter how much I run around with my Golden AK-47!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If State of Decay has taught me anything, it's that one Molotov and me calling in some sniper cover from a neighboring enclave will allow me to get home safely, no matter how much I run around with my Golden AK-47!
Sounds like somebody doesn't play on lethal.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is Highlander II hilarious bad or bad bad? Never saw it and wondering if it's worth my time.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I dare say I may be more of a Highlander fanboi than Rajaah, and The Source is so bad I've fallen asleep both times I've tried to watch it. I've never actually seen how it ends. It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I just watched it and OMG it's fucking hilarious. You people are damaged. The kguardian is my favorite kimmie now. He had me when he said "Hello Joe" while flying through the air after joe hit him with the jeep. I had to turn on captions and rewind it to be sure that was what he said. It's too bad he's the only one who decided to be funny. Course, it wasn't just him. The director let him scamper around super fast too. I can agree it's the worst highlander though outside of the one that shall not be named. Anyone who thinks 2 is better than 5 is just plain wrong.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Is Highlander II hilarious bad or bad bad? Never saw it and wondering if it's worth my time.
It's bad bad. Mainly because it completely fucked the lore and was a hamfisted reset. I understand how The source kinda did too, but at least it wasn't earth as a fucking alien penal colony and doesn't prevent future stories in that universe.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
A traditional handle doesn't look that hard to make. The main thing would be getting the wrapping correct. It might just take a couple times or ten to get something that passes muster.

A good fitting pommel, guard, collars, and scabbard, on the other hand, is probably extremely difficult to make well without the proper tools. I would assume that's where most of the money goes when buying that part of the sword.
If you're good with your hands, probably not. My teacher figured it out on his own more or less. I've helped him and I don't see myself ever being able to do it. The main thing is actually getting the sami right. Because it's hard to trim and if you go too short you need a whole other piece. They don't exactly stock rayskin in craft stores. To cut and form it you soak it and if memory serves you have to account for some shrinkage.

The hand guard, pommel, menuki, wrap, and sami is what cost me a couple hundred for mine. BTW you don't make those pieces to fit the handle (other than the sami), you whittle the handle to fit those pieces.

• 1Like

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Swords are a fucking meme at this point. What are you gonna do? Take sick tiktoks of yourself in the back yard slicing watermelons like the internet just came out and you're gonna get cool points?

To be a grown adult and buying a fucking sword is just peak retard. The zombie apocalypse ain't gonna happen. If it does, you're still gonna get fucking ganked, Indiana Jones style.

And besides all of that, you lack the lifetime of skill or physical fitness to use it effectively anyway.

Congratulations, you just spent $600 on a coffee table knickknack and are bragging about it on the internet. Holy shit.
Someone needs a hobby. Owning a sword isn't about whether or not I get to kill someone with it, it's about having something I like.
I'm no more expecting to run around like a Samurai as you are to go looking for real Pokemon to add to your collection, or whatever
it is you DO like to have around just because you think it's cool.

Also, as a Veteran of multiple engagements, and having fought in SCA battles (that's a LARP for those who don't know), I can
appreciate the balls it must have taken to go toe-to-toe with a motherfucker to get your kill as opposed to firing a gun, arrow,
or calling in a damn airstrike. History is cool, and so is appreciating it.

P.S. For everyone: The Source is so embarrassingly terrible it might make you give up all hope for movies in general and delete/destroy your
entire library. Don't do that to yourself.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

They're called Crossbows, and Bows, and they're pretty quiet...unless you're a deer

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Durable? as in you want to hit shit with them?

I dont want to hit shit, but I like knowing that if I needed to reach for one in an emergency, that it could actually do some damage. Some people keep a baseball bat by the door, I have swords on the living room walls.

Going to own some guns sooner than later but that's beside the point. I'm not super keen on having weapons that aren't at least partially legitimate weapons. The difference between having an old Civil War replica revolver that can actually fire, and one that can't and has an orange cap on the end.

highlander swords.jpg

Taking another look at this, you can REALLY see the difference in the blades. The middle is carbon steel + full tang and feels like it could take a lot of hits before breaking. Also has pretty intense cutting power. However the third one has a much nicer handle and guard. The middle one's handle and guard feel kind of plastic and toyish, the third one's handle and guard feel like real ivory and laquered metal. Muuuuch more comfortable to hold, and also more accurate to the show.

However, the blade on that third one is the narrowest of the three and, since the tang doesn't go that far, I feel like it'd break quickly if struck against any hard object. Might even be in danger of flying out of the handle if swung in the air particularly hard enough times.

So in closing I just wish I could combine the handle/hilt of the third one with the blade of the second, which would combine the show-accuracy with actual legitimacy as a weapon. Marto Toledo did a tremendous job from a design standpoint, while skimping on the blade. As something to just look at and marvel at, the third one is great.

Fun fact: The show blades are actually closest to the first katana in the picture. Less thick than the second, more thick than the third, have that same metal-fold. Talking about S2 onward here, because in S1 they used a completely different set of swords that were much stronger, switching to lighter ones for S2+ to prevent all the injuries that were taking place on the set.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to guess that F is where it actually gets bad because the Raven was pretty good. It somehow flew under my radar and I just found it a few years ago and I was amazed at how great it was. Supposedly only got canceled because she was such a cunt.

How is it possible that the source is that much worse than the movie that true fans try to pretend never happened? I guess I never saw it, but fuck I'm going to look for it tonight. Anything that bad must be seen.

For me, The Raven started out iffy, then got good towards the end. Much like the first season of the regular show. Once The Raven moved to Paris, it recaptured some of the HTS charm. The first 60% of the season was an America-based cop show, meaning the producers learned nothing from how that format didn't work in the first 13 episodes of the Adrian Paul show either.

Elizabeth Gracen hated her co-star, and it meant there was zero onscreen chemistry between Amanda and Nick, which made for a not-great show to watch. Her manager had her convinced that Nick's actor was a CIA plant who was there to keep an eye on her. Given that she'd also been molested by Bill Clinton in the 80's, I really have to wonder what kind of stuff she was connected to.

Also wasn't a fan of the short blonde hair. Wish Amanda had looked like she did in Season 3 when she had long black hair. ...which she was supposed to here, hence THE RAVEN being the title of the show, and apparently she changed her hair right before filming started without talking to anyone about it.

All of that said, The Raven is watchable, as is Season 6 of the show. Both have a few standout episodes. F is where it gets bad, as Highlander 2 just butchers the mythology.

I saw the Source in the fucking theater, so my fanboy status isn't in question either.

And it's fucking AWFUL. It's quite possibly the worst piece of shit ever possibly conceived of.

There can be only one....

...to have a baby.

What the fuck.

The Source somehow manages to be worse than that by destroying everything iconic from the show (even the katana). I fully believe that The Source was a rejected horror movie script that someone re-wrote to be a "Highlander movie" because it has almost nothing to do with Highlander, and the characters all turn mortal for no reason so that the horror movie setpieces can play out.

The Source is an absolute travesty, and Adrian Paul lost a lot of credibility when he said he thought it was "the best Highlander movie" at a press conference before the movie came out.

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Man, I love highlander too, and I still can't wrap my head around that livejournal thread bump bullshit.

Swords are a fucking meme at this point. What are you gonna do? Take sick tiktoks of yourself in the back yard slicing watermelons like the internet just came out and you're gonna get cool points?

To be a grown adult and buying a fucking sword is just peak retard. The zombie apocalypse ain't gonna happen. If it does, you're still gonna get fucking ganked, Indiana Jones style.

And besides all of that, you lack the lifetime of skill or physical fitness to use it effectively anyway.

Congratulations, you just spent $600 on a coffee table knickknack and are bragging about it on the internet. Holy shit.

I spent $400 on some REALLY COOL SHIT. Get outta here with the nerd-shaming.

Jesus Christ.

It's bad bad. Mainly because it completely fucked the lore and was a hamfisted reset. I understand how The source kinda did too, but at least it wasn't earth as a fucking alien penal colony and doesn't prevent future stories in that universe.

I gotta strongly disagree. Highlander 2 is a hamfisted reset that ruins the lore, but The Source has a space baby.

A SPACE BABY.

IIRC the plan was to have the next movie be the now-grown baby facing off against Methos. Which raises so many questions. There was a final scene (that was either not shot, or got cut) where you see Duncan playing with his kid a few years later and Methos is seen in the distance watching them forebodingly. Why? Who knows. So there was potential for another story in that universe at least, not that they followed up on it.

P.S. For everyone: The Source is so embarrassingly terrible it might make you give up all hope for movies in general and delete/destroy your
entire library. Don't do that to yourself.

Yeah, like, HL2 is something I can just ignore and pretend it didn't happen, or rewrite some headcanon to make it a more normal movie where Duncan and Ramirez were stranded in the steppes of Russia or something instead of Zeist. The Source, on the other hand, is harder to ignore and actively makes everything BEFORE it seem worse. Like the show itself is cheapened by The Source.

And it kills Joe Dawson, one of the most beloved characters from the show. I'm surprised they resisted the urge to kill off Methos too. And they broke Duncan's katana! If Richie were still alive, they definitely would have killed him. Pretty sure that Reggie character was basically just a replacement Richie.

I guess The Source works if you watch it as a comedy, maybe add a laugh track to it.

At least HL2 has Sean Connery, and Ramirez is a joy to watch in general.

Damn, all this Highlander talk has made me want to do a series rewatch. The show still holds up today, especially seasons 3-5.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
They're called Crossbows, and Bows, and they're pretty quiet...unless you're a deer

And what's real fun is that sometimes they jump instead of duck (hence the name, jumping the string). So aiming lower isn't the answer.

So in closing I just wish I could combine the handle/hilt of the third one with the blade of the second,

You should be able to do that. How are the handles attached? Should be one or 2 bamboo pins to pop out to get the handles off. Then you will have to drill a new hole in the tang. Sounds like a big deal but even I could do it and I'm not a good handyman.

I guess The Source works if you watch it as a comedy, maybe add a laugh track to it.

Watching it again the next day with my wife and I started thinking about how much the actors believed in the script and it made it even funnier. Like, the kguardian was the only one who recognized it as a comedy. It makes it almost "attack of the killer tomatoes" good.

BTW reggie was definitely richie. Made me think they had this script from before they killed him off.

A SPACE BABY.

Not a space baby. Just a magical fuck beam where immortals are fertile. There wasn't enough nudity in the magical fuck beam.

• 1Like

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I liked the TV Series. (Not so much the stupid spin-off show.) I wish they'd give it the Bluray treatment.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I liked the TV Series. (Not so much the stupid spin-off show.) I wish they'd give it the Bluray treatment.

Supposedly it's going to get a bluray set at some point soon, but I've been reading that since 2019. In Europe you could already get bluray box sets for, I think, the first 3 seasons. They sold out everywhere though.

The only thing I can still find is Season 1 which got a region-free release.

However obviously $100 for a totally incomplete show is an issue. Hopefully we'll get the full series sooner or later. Chances are they'll do it to capitalize on the reboot movie's attention. There was some issue with the conversion of the show, though, which is probably why it didn't happen sooner.

I'll say this: I've got the entire HL series on DVD, and the DVD sets are far superior to the streaming version. The streaming version changes the screen ratio to make it widescreen and it ends up cutting off a lot of people's heads. No real gain in quality to offset this either. Just watch it in 4:3 on DVD and be done with it.

BTW reggie was definitely richie. Made me think they had this script from before they killed him off.

Not a space baby. Just a magical fuck beam where immortals are fertile. There wasn't enough nudity in the magical fuck beam.

Reggie was a bit of a douche and didn't defer to Mac at all like Richie's student/teacher situation. Other than that I definitely think the character filled the same niche. Like "well we can't bring Richie back, let's create an approximation of him". It might even be intended to be fanservice, a reference. I don't know.

There are a few versions of The Source with slight differences, and I'm pretty sure the one I watched did indeed have a Space Baby at the very end. Like a baby materializing in a wall of light before it went to credits. Duncan and Anna were spinning around each other in a light room and then the Space Baby just appears. Like that sex scene in Final Fantasy 6 with the espers.

Side Note: Much like Reggie, Anna would have been a better character if they'd just brought back Anne from the show. ...since she's basically the same exact person, a human woman who wanted to have a normal life / kids with him and couldn't so they walked away from each other. Maybe nobody wanted to return for The Source. Shocked they got Peter Wingfield on considering the self-respect he's got.

Other Note: The Source isn't the only one with a few versions. EVERY mainline Highlander movie did this for some reason. There are a couple versions of HL1. The DVD I have has some rough special effects and you can see cables holding Connor up during the last quickening. The Blu-Ray version cleans up a lot of that. Some versions have extra flashbacks with Connor in WW2 and stuff, some don't. HL2 is the most notorious for different versions. I think it has 2 major versions (theatrical and Renegade) but it might have more IDK. Renegade version removes all references to Zeist. Not sure if the movie is actually good at that point, I haven't seen it yet. Someday I'll watch both HL2s and compare. HL3 has some minor differences, like the VHS version has a longer and hotter version of the sex scene. And finally Endgame has a couple versions with minor differences, mainly pertaining to the ending, as well as a trailer full of scenes that aren't in the actual movie that make it look way better than it is.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Supposedly it's going to get a bluray set at some point soon, but I've been reading that since 2019. In Europe you could already get bluray box sets for, I think, the first 3 seasons. They sold out everywhere though.

The only thing I can still find is Season 1 which got a region-free release.

However obviously $100 for a totally incomplete show is an issue. Hopefully we'll get the full series sooner or later. Chances are they'll do it to capitalize on the reboot movie's attention. There was some issue with the conversion of the show, though, which is probably why it didn't happen sooner.

I'll say this: I've got the entire HL series on DVD, and the DVD sets are far superior to the streaming version. The streaming version changes the screen ratio to make it widescreen and it ends up cutting off a lot of people's heads. No real gain in quality to offset this either. Just watch it in 4:3 on DVD and be done with it.

Reggie was a bit of a douche and didn't defer to Mac at all like Richie's student/teacher situation. Other than that I definitely think the character filled the same niche. Like "well we can't bring Richie back, let's create an approximation of him". It might even be intended to be fanservice, a reference. I don't know.

There are a few versions of The Source with slight differences, and I'm pretty sure the one I watched did indeed have a Space Baby at the very end. Like a baby materializing in a wall of light before it went to credits. Duncan and Anna were spinning around each other in a light room and then the Space Baby just appears. Like that sex scene in Final Fantasy 6 with the espers.

Side Note: Much like Reggie, Anna would have been a better character if they'd just brought back Anne from the show. ...since she's basically the same exact person, a human woman who wanted to have a normal life / kids with him and couldn't so they walked away from each other. Maybe nobody wanted to return for The Source. Shocked they got Peter Wingfield on considering the self-respect he's got.

Other Note: The Source isn't the only one with a few versions. EVERY mainline Highlander movie did this for some reason. There are a couple versions of HL1. The DVD I have has some rough special effects and you can see cables holding Connor up during the last quickening. The Blu-Ray version cleans up a lot of that. Some versions have extra flashbacks with Connor in WW2 and stuff, some don't. HL2 is the most notorious for different versions. I think it has 2 major versions (theatrical and Renegade) but it might have more IDK. Renegade version removes all references to Zeist. Not sure if the movie is actually good at that point, I haven't seen it yet. Someday I'll watch both HL2s and compare. HL3 has some minor differences, like the VHS version has a longer and hotter version of the sex scene. And finally Endgame has a couple versions with minor differences, mainly pertaining to the ending, as well as a trailer full of scenes that aren't in the actual movie that make it look way better than it is.

Towards the end Richie was getting froggy with mac too. So I still think it was a part written for him and they just changed the name.

I had heard about the renegade HL 2, but I didn't know about the other versions of the other ones. What you talked about with HL1 was just deleted scenes though, so I don't think that counts. Anyway, something to look for.

I believe there was a baby in the one I watched, but it was just like a picture or hologram. They were fucking in the space beam and the baby picture was just like a promise. Not an actual baby that materialized.

• 1Like