Hiking Shoes

rad

Lord of Guk
Just picked up a pair of Merrell MOAB2s, let you know how they fare this weekend.

Feien

Ploppers
I've been using these for the past year and I love them. They give you good ankle support (not as good as boots would, but enough to feel like your foot is safer from rolling), but the advantage they have over boots is that you don't need to "break them in." When I bought them I did a 20 day hiking trip through Finland carrying a heavy pack and didn't get any blisters with proper care, their water proofing is pretty good, and just overall kick the trail's ass.

Amazon.com | La Sportiva Men's Synthesis Mid GTX Hiking Shoe | Hiking Boots

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I expect a lot out of my boots and will no longer buy a boot not made in the U.S. or Europe. Big fan of Asolo, Scarpa, and Lowa. I spend a lot of time above the treeline and scrambling across scree. I moved to a full mountaineering boot this year.

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still haven't decided but I'll have to pick some up this week. Want to at least break them in a little bit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have been through 2 sets of North Face Hedgehogs. My current ones have nearly lost their tread, I have put so many miles on them. They've been with me all over the planet from New Zealand, Nepal, Bhutan, to Mt. Etna in Sicily last week. Couldn't be happier. I am definitely going to buy my 3rd pair soon.

MEN'S HEDGEHOG FASTPACK GORE-TEX® | United States

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been wearing Salomon lately. XA Pro 3d Mid (non-GTX) on warmer days, Quest 4d GTX on cooler wetter days. Lowa's Z8S is another one of my favorites.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to just hike and even backpack in regular tennis shoes and it's fine unless you're walking on rocks all the time. I hiked 16 miles on rock in tennis shoes once and I could barely walk by the end because my feet hurt so bad.

Now I just wear the basic red wing work boots I wear every day. They are heavy and not high tech but I just got my most recent pair broken in and they feel like putting on a soft deer hide glove that fits perfectly. Just yesterday I was telling people how great my feet felt at the end of the day.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I do about five 14ers a year and I only ever wear the Keen Targhee II.

Their water sandals are great too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tried a bunch today and merell felt the best so buying some Moab 2s tonight.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

rad

Lord of Guk
Did 8 miles out of the box last weekend, felt great all the way through.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
asolo asolo asolo

sounds like you want something with a stiff sole to me. these things are more expensive but these last forever. you get what you pay for!

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can totally recommend Salomon, especially the Speedcross series. I wear down a pair every 1-2 years doing mountain hikes and minor climbing. That said, i'm not a fan of heavy boots and these fit me perfectly. They offer low weight and fantastic grip on all surfaces even in winter. Go for GTX if water resistance textile is preferred. For me they feel like cozy slippers even on longer hikes, longest so far was 60km/day. Would also recommend gaiters to minimize the risk of getting blisters, totally worth the money.

Please note, Salomon shoe sizes are one number smaller then usual, try one size bigger for perfect fit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wore my merell on katahdin yesterday, perfect shoe. My feet are still sore from all the rock climbing, but less sore than last year. I will recommend these shoes to anyone now​

• 1Picard

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I bought some Merrell fst shoes for half off at Academy before I went to Egypt and I'll be damned if these things aren't the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. I got a Navy blue pair (probably why they were half off) and now I really want a black pair so they will go with everything but of course I can't find them for less than 100.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Lanx Lanx
i got my Timbs! they came last wednesday. great shoes.
20200925_143038.jpg

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I've got these as my hikers: Salomon. Can't fault them, lightweight, very comfy and totally waterproof but not at all sweaty.

For every day boots I love my HH boots although mine are a tan colour. Second pair I've had now, first pair lasted me nearly 5 years of constant hammer through Albertan winters plus the pissing rain of British winters after I came home. Second pair are 3 years in and still going strong too.

fris

Vyemm Raider
My personal preference is:

I went and found them in store found the right pair then like any good consumer I left and bought them on amazon

i'm not doing 2000m a year, but these have been great for me. I would like to use shoes, but my ankles have been in casks too many times to risk anything w/o support.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh those look nice, better than the timbs my wife and i are wearing now for hiking

i got my scond pair of timbs today. ordered them on 9/17 so it took a while. they are more like sneakers i think
20201002_133832.jpg

• 1Like