Hiking Shoes

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
oboz is my brand - I keep two pair of their firebrand II lows actually - one beat em up pair for hiking/camping and non-boot ranch work and one I keep clean (ish) for wearing around town and for exercising

so comfortable

if I was doing serious overnight backpacking i'd try their mids

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll second solomon's someone above mentioned, I have a pair of the fitted gortex hikers they're lightweight, comfy and my dudes I got caught having to walk about 3 miles in the rain without an umbrella and the only thing dry on me when I got home was my feet.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I use Salomon XA Pro GTX trail shoes, they are very good quality and lightweight but the sole wears out really fast if you run/walk on concrete in them. My main walking boots are Merrell Moab Rovers, had them over 3 years and I wear them all the time. They are great boots if you put a bit of dubbin on them every couple of months and will handle nearly anything underfoot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've had good and bad luck with merrell, had a pair of moabs that lasted for around 4 years before they wore out, next pair in 2016 lasted maybe 6 months before they had multiple critical failures. Don't know if I just got 2 bad pairs in a row or if they went cheap on the manufacturing. Loved my first pair to death though.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've had good and bad luck with merrell, had a pair of moabs that lasted for around 4 years before they wore out, next pair in 2016 lasted maybe 6 months before they had multiple critical failures. Don't know if I just got 2 bad pairs in a row or if they went cheap on the manufacturing. Loved my first pair to death though.

Depending on where you bought them, maybe they were knockoffs ?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on where you bought them, maybe they were knockoffs ?
Got the first direct from Amazon, second direct from Merrell. Same malfunctions in the same time frame. The shoes basically came apart at their seams. Probably just a bad batch at the time.

Last edited:

Feien

Ploppers
That is a thing with moabs, they have a very comfortable fit at the expense of some durability compared to other hiking shoes/boots. I'm not sure if it's so much them getting worse over the years, rather than there are a few times where Really good batches come out.

For a mid-boot I'm loving Oboz more and more, they strike a great balance of comfort and support. For a high boot, my Salomon Quest 4D have been going strong for 6 years and many many miles