His Dark Materials

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just looked we actually watched 40 mins, but I get your point. I guess my question is...will this be worth watching? As of right now I am just bored with it.

It's based off an interesting book series so the potential is there. Too early to say more than that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Watched the first two episodes. Will watch the third and possibly the rest.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I watched the first 2 episodes. Very awesome. It's been a long time since I read "The Golden Compass" and I remember getting a little lost in all the characters. I remember it being somewhat of an anti-church allegory. I DO remember going to see the first attempt at the movie and being very unhappy with the sloppy mess they made of a such an intense and pivotal piece of steam-punk literature.

Episodes 1 and 2 are super solid. I hope they continue on this pace and level. I suppose there is far less chance of them going full "Game of Thrones" and deviating and stupifying the source material (since it is complete). They could stretch it out if the audience response is good. They do love to do that.

Also-- nice steamships!

Regardless- A+ for Episode 1 and 2.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll keep watching but as someone who isn't familiar with any of the material I still have no clue what it's about.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'll keep watching but as someone who isn't familiar with any of the material I still have no clue what it's about.

The power to know the truth.

The power to move between worlds.

The power to see Dust.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I look forward to this show on Sundays. Total surprise on how good it is for me.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't know shit about the books and so far it's good, makes me want to watch the next episode.

Chris

Potato del Grande
While they wasted the plot twist that our reality is part of the story, going there early has some potential since it seems like we will get some book 2 characters early. They sold me on that last episode.

I think most of the our world stuff is told as exposition in Book 2 so showing it is better.

• 1Like

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
The last episode was definitely the best one so far. I still have the feeling that if you haven't read the books, you are going to be a little confused as to what exactly is going on.

I'm also skeptical about how the BBC will make books 2 & 3. From what I can remember, they are going to require a fuckton of decent CGI to tell the story.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, I was rereading about book 2 and 3 on wikipedia and shit really gets wild there, so I have no idea how they will adapt some stuff.

I kinda have a hard time with Lyra's actor. She is highly punchable.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I was rereading about book 2 and 3 on wikipedia and shit really gets wild there, so I have no idea how they will adapt some stuff.
Yeah it really goes crazy after Book 1. I want to say so much but spoilers will be so easy to give away.

I think that one of the things towards the end is going to cause a controversy and get it banned in several countries because I've never seen it on screen before.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
This show is pretty good. That bear is badass. I didn’t read the books but my oldest is loving it as well. He now wants to read the books.

This is way better than Watchmen.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Isn't it amazing how we can have television series that have just as good as visual effects as any movie? What a time to be alive.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I kinda have a hard time with Lyra's actor. She is highly punchable.

Same. Liked her in Logan but find her kind of irritating in this.

Yeah it really goes crazy after Book 1. I want to say so much but spoilers will be so easy to give away.

I think that one of the things towards the end is going to cause a controversy and get it banned in several countries because I've never seen it on screen before.

Spoiler explain it? Read the books long ago and dont really remember that much.

Rime

<Donor>
Same. Liked her in Logan but find her kind of irritating in this.

Spoiler explain it? Read the books long ago and dont really remember that much.

SUPER SPOILERS...

They go to war with Heaven and discover that God (The Authority) is a decrepit, old man who has been imprisoned by the Metatron (boss Angel) to keep control over everyone. The 'Dust' that features heavily through the series is 'Original Sin' or alternatively, Consciousness/Sapience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Feels like the show is really coming into it's own. Enjoyed tonight's episode a lot, kinda sad there are only 3 left this season...story gets so good I wanna watch it all now!