His Dark Materials

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t mind this 1st episode. Been years and years since I read the book so looking forward to hopefully having some memories kicked up. Also remembered how much I hate week-to-week releases.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Correct, the 'spoiler' bit is about the story STARTING in a different world.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty good first episode. Has me intrigued for sure. how much did this shit cost HBO because the visuals are pretty darn good and they got some pretty good actors.

Rime

<Donor>
Concerning my statement of the above spoiler...

It is an issue, as in the book, while the world they are in is different, many of the names are the same, so it comes off as it being our world, but not quite our world. Then later...
You discover that there is a world that is OUR world, it is one of quite a few that all border each other.
...so it is odd that they chose to do that.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Why did they made the animals talk ?
In the movie the animals were silent, except the armored bear, right ?
Or am I remembering it wrong ?

Anyway, this show is not that great, it is made for kids.

Rime

<Donor>
Why did they made the animals talk ?
In the movie the animals were silent, except the armored bear, right ?
Or am I remembering it wrong ?

Anyway, this show is not that great, it is made for kids.

Daemons can speak in the books. As they get older, they tend to do it less, save for to their partner.

The armored bears and other species are not Daemons and do not have Daemons. They can speak in the books, though when communicating in English, it tends to be broken or with difficulty in the tenses.

Foxes, Bears, and a few others were confirmed to be sapient/able to communicate, but it is never mentioned if every animal in that world can.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I thought that the first episode was perfect.

Hyped to see the end of season plot twist with the actors they got to play the roles. It's going to be nuts and I still can't believe they left it out of the movie.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the opening to season 2 though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Ive not read the books nor seen the Golden Compass so this is all brand new to me. I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. I think X-23 was a good choice for the character.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Aint this the satan version of Narnia? thats what some fundies told me when the golden compass came out

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That reminds me, when is the Magicians back? It usually is winter yeah?

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Aint this the satan version of Narnia? thats what some fundies told me when the golden compass came out

There are topics in this series that religious fundamentalist get completely rustled over. They get upset likely because religion has, does, and undoubtebly will be used for ill-effect and people have a hard time reconciling that. As a Christian I consider it entertainment with an honest, if biting, message to what religion can become when weaponized. That said, I didn't get offended by it and its one of my favorite series. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers...but it's a pretty wild ride.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Ms Coulters mouth is her 2nd daemon and it’s a fish.

Actually liking it the most part and think the black dude plays a good magisterium hitman bro along with a good vibe at how evil these fucks are ! I am excited to see if we get to Will the baddest dude with the sharpest knife ever

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What does hodj hodj think - is this show nauseatingly bibel-ish like ermahgerd-aslan-can-I-cuddle-your-goodhood-narnia or totally badass for heathens?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I had never heard of this series until they announced the show. The wife and I were unable to get through the first episode because we had zero care about anyone after 20+mins in. Are we being too harsh? Should we give it another chance?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I had never heard of this series until they announced the show. The wife and I were unable to get through the first episode because we had zero care about anyone after 20+mins in. Are we being too harsh? Should we give it another chance?
Way too harsh? I mean, I can't think of any show where I initially wasn't familiar with ANY of the characters yet cared deeply about them within 20 minutes? Come on.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Way too harsh? I mean, I can't think of any show where I initially wasn't familiar with ANY of the characters yet cared deeply about them within 20 minutes? Come on.
I just looked we actually watched 40 mins, but I get your point. I guess my question is...will this be worth watching? As of right now I am just bored with it.