Home buying thread

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Hmmm. Never would have considered that. My mother is a big gal at that. Though extremely spry for a senior citizen. That's now. I'm sure that may change in the next few years.

That 1st home is a ranch style with a sit-down shower.
Def. the most accessible/friendly of them even to outdoor spaces.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I literally saw 10 houses yesterday. Took 8 hours.

3 are damn near perfect. They each have everything I need. Three are in a city I don't want to live in, but give me the tranquility I want when I come home...and are on the nice side of town. The other is just a nice house that felt right and has the room I need. I need to put an offer in on one, and I honestly can't decide. The good news is that the prices are high enough, that if my offers are refused, I can move onto the next and make an offer until I get one of them. The 1st link is where I am leaning...

136 North Ave, Brockton, MA 02302 | MLS #72178097 | Zillow

1383 Central St, Stoughton, MA 02072 | MLS #72176462 | Zillow

19 Elm View Ter, Brockton, MA 02301 | MLS #72176740 | Zillow

32 Olde Farm Ln, Brockton, MA 02301 | MLS #72170256 | Zillow
1st and 4th house have been professionally flipped, 3 is out of a fucking HGTV show with that super white kitchen and mega windows

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why do you say that, just because they're staged/empty?
i'm looking at the kitchen, quartz is the "new granite", with all the new pristine stainless, home depot cabinets, recessed lighting and tiles, it just screams flipped.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
i'm looking at the kitchen, quartz is the "new granite", with all the new pristine stainless, home depot cabinets, recessed lighting and tiles, it just screams flipped.
You described my house and it was flipped hah. Minus recessed lighting which I wish we had.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

So, are you saying anything is wrong with that, or anything to look out for? Whats the point?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess some could argue they'd rather buy from an actual family either trying to sell their house to move/buy a new one or dodge a foreclosure over padding some guys bank account. I'm sure some flippers go the extra mile to use substandard materials and do their best to hide them as well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess some could argue they'd rather buy from an actual family either trying to sell their house to move/buy a new one or dodge a foreclosure over padding some guys bank account. I'm sure some flippers go the extra mile to use substandard materials and do their best to hide them as well.

I'd trust a professional flipper over some home owner that tried to do the shit himself

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd trust a professional flipper over some home owner that tried to do the shit himself
yup, true, on the one hand it's a homeowner trying to maximize his value, and on the other hand it's a guy who does this for a living (with his crew).

Pops

I literally saw 10 houses yesterday. Took 8 hours.

3 are damn near perfect. They each have everything I need. Three are in a city I don't want to live in, but give me the tranquility I want when I come home...and are on the nice side of town. The other is just a nice house that felt right and has the room I need. I need to put an offer in on one, and I honestly can't decide. The good news is that the prices are high enough, that if my offers are refused, I can move onto the next and make an offer until I get one of them. The 1st link is where I am leaning...

136 North Ave, Brockton, MA 02302 | MLS #72178097 | Zillow

1383 Central St, Stoughton, MA 02072 | MLS #72176462 | Zillow

19 Elm View Ter, Brockton, MA 02301 | MLS #72176740 | Zillow

32 Olde Farm Ln, Brockton, MA 02301 | MLS #72170256 | Zillow

Flipped or not, if your market is at a very low inventory level, you are going to pay up. The market is very tight. And bad areas can become good. I liked the more stately ones.

Everything points to higher prices. Lending is tight. Kids coming to the market. It's not go go. The good deals where I'm looking disappear in days. But I'm looking more lower end. Those house aren't going to go cheap. If you are going to live there a long time, focus on one you like and buy it.

Oh and good schools.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Flipped or not, if your market is at a very low inventory level, you are going to pay up. The market is very tight. And bad areas can become good. I liked the more stately ones.

Everything points to higher prices. Lending is tight. Kids coming to the market. It's not go go. The good deals where I'm looking disappear in days. But I'm looking more lower end. Those house aren't going to go cheap. If you are going to live there a long time, focus on one you like and buy it.

Oh and good schools.

Houses in my area that are worth a damn and even those that need some work have been selling within 48 hours and even some before they even hit the market. It's still pretty insane in NY.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
home inspection vs. appraisal?

on a new construction,

we're doing the home inspection should be around 400, we'll put in that if the guy finds anything wrong, builders have to address it (common right)?

appraisal? we're paying cash

what's the purpose of the appraisal other than for the banks? and if we do get one, we can use that to say if the appraisal is lower than the asking price, we can walk?

home inspection will give us piece of mind, even if it's a new build, not too sure on appraisal, thoughts?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can try to haggle is appraisal is low but the seller will just go with another buyer most likely. Afaik it was mostly for banks and tax assessments.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You can try to haggle is appraisal is low but the seller will just go with another buyer most likely. Afaik it was mostly for banks and tax assessments.
Yea. Also do the home inspection, $400 is cheap and if you end up not wanting the house, you can always use the that "based on the inspection..." as a reason to get out (though don't know if this is really and issue as much on a new build).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
tax assessment, as in property tax?

Realtor is say appraiser would most likely just look at the comps and mls listings and try to match up, sq ft/yard/garage etc and see if it'll match up and if he can't, he'll keep on expanding the search area.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pretty sure, no, they aren't used for tax assessments. Banks want one because tget don't (ish) want to loan you more money than a property is worth.
and to make sure you're not buying a "lemon" since it's the banks money you're using, correct?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user