Home buying thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fucks sake!!!!!!!

3 days. 3 offers. All outbid. One real estate agent works for the same company as my realtor and says our bid wasn't even close to that accepted offer. I went 25K over asking! WTF is wrong with this market?

iannis

Musty Nester
The ones in my uncle's house, at least.

And I'm not even that mad. It just sucks and is aggravating. I can't say a 25 year plumb was a bad job.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just took possession of my house. It was a rental property for a while before I took over so I want to change out the locks. Is that a major process or is that an afternoon DIY project even a handyman incompetent person like myself could accomplish?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just took possession of my house. It was a rental property for a while before I took over so I want to change out the locks. Is that a major process or is that an afternoon DIY project even a handyman incompetent person like myself could accomplish?
Changing out the locks isn't too bad, at least all the ones I did we're easy

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
depends on the locks.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

depends on the locks.

It looks like a pretty standard front door lock setup. All the YT videos I watched seemed to make me think it was pretty stupid simple. I haven't moved in yet so I haven't taken a hard look to make sure it is as easy as "remove the interior screws, replace shit, rescrew things" but I wanted to see if anyone has done it and some potential problems you can encounter.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
House we bought had locks on every door that could just be rekeyed. Check to see if you have those. Took a whole 15min and $10 to do them myself.

Tenks

House we bought had locks on every door that could just be rekeyed. Check to see if you have those. Took a whole 15min and $10 to do them myself.

Can you link the product? One of the first things we're planning on doing is replacing most of the door and hallway knobs so I imagine my wife will want a uniform look and therefore a new front door set but if I could tide myself over by just rekeying I'd be fine with that.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Fucks sake!!!!!!!

3 days. 3 offers. All outbid. One real estate agent works for the same company as my realtor and says our bid wasn't even close to that accepted offer. I went 25K over asking! WTF is wrong with this market?

This market is indeed pretty freaking insane. It puts sellers and seller's agents in a very commanding position. They know that anything even remotely nice is going to go in that first bidding process and that if any hiccups come along during the sale they will be able to slide a new offer in without missing a beat. The only recourse you have is to focus on what little inventory survives on the market longer than 14 days. The downside being that all of those either come with some level of risk / concession or are overpriced compared to the market.

You might consider what you can target significantly below your desired price point and factor in some level of pre-habitation contracting work done on the property. Naturally that requires you to have a solid contractor in your back pocket and/or less aversion to overall risk.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have kwikset too. Replacing locks in non kwikset doors just required taking the entire assembly out. Once you get one out you'll see how stupid easy it is

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This market is indeed pretty freaking insane. It puts sellers and seller's agents in a very commanding position. They know that anything even remotely nice is going to go in that first bidding process and that if any hiccups come along during the sale they will be able to slide a new offer in without missing a beat. The only recourse you have is to focus on what little inventory survives on the market longer than 14 days. The downside being that all of those either come with some level of risk / concession or are overpriced compared to the market.

You might consider what you can target significantly below your desired price point and factor in some level of pre-habitation contracting work done on the property. Naturally that requires you to have a solid contractor in your back pocket and/or less aversion to overall risk.

Yeah, the same thing my realtor said. Problem is that the price range I would need puts me in areas I really wouldn't buy a house in. They seem OK as far as neighborhoods go, just not what I want.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
my new bid house is using PEX instead of copper, anyone run into that yet? or is it just the future of plumbing say byebye to copper? (not like i have a choice, but i watched a few youtubes on how to solder copper, just in case!)

House I built uses pex. Pretty nice because all the runs go to a manifold in the basement, incase you need to turn off water to a specific fixture.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can you link the product? One of the first things we're planning on doing is replacing most of the door and hallway knobs so I imagine my wife will want a uniform look and therefore a new front door set but if I could tide myself over by just rekeying I'd be fine with that.
here's the low down on kwikset, you should look for the 980model, the otherones are wimpy as shit.

these have the smartkey-rekey tech, you can tell from the little tiny rectangular hole
41X4rMXLhVL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and this is how it works
38a9808b-3935-4338-b932-a4fdd87c4c2b.jpg._CB311977422__SR970,300_.jpg

and this is the kit
(as zyy linked) kwikset smartkey

Otherwise you'd have to buy a pin kit and rekey all the locks yourself (which is what i'm going to do, i'm choose to use schlage locks instead of kwikset).

actually UPS just knocked and i got my locks too
TjQR1oE.jpg

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
...I now own my home in a country ass town....
...in a country ass county...
by a magnificent fucking lake

I wonder if I could sell it fast. Doubt it.

Also; dickhole realtor on my facebook was offering to go knock on motherfuckers doors to ask if they'd be willing to sell their house, just to get people to use him

I'd fucking shoot him.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What would be great is if they could quote you a "this shit will last longer than the house" piping option. If it added $5k to my house price I'd pay it. I paid over $8k fixing the damage from one minor water leak.

Prob is installation or use exceptions in anything. @uber is hungover and misses a solder or something ends up touching a nail with vibration for 20 years.

Insurance should have covered leak

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Prob is installation or use exceptions in anything. @uber is hungover and misses a solder or something ends up touching a nail with vibration for 20 years.

Insurance should have covered leak

Insurance surely would have covered it but it was less than my deductible.