Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
pour coffee grinds where ever you find ants they will not come back, it's like a wall of death.

I'm actually gonna try that.

Vinegar works a little bit. Grounds might work better.

Those liquid bait traps actually work ok too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone try those new plug in devices that are supposed to repel insects for x amount of feet?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm actually gonna try that.

Vinegar works a little bit. Grounds might work better.

Those liquid bait traps actually work ok too.
i also read that coffee grounds is good for plants once they get broken down cuz of the nitrogen and shit(i'm a noob just did super basic reading on compost and greens+coffee grinds)

either way coffee grinds are awesome and natural and for most of america free (unless you use keurig)

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Borax/water/sugar will kill them too.

My folks got a sewer inspection on the recommendation of their realtor. Turns out there was a "belly" in the pipe that can cause backups, so they got a 4-10k estimate to fix it and were able to get a credit on the purchase.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Inspections this week on new home and current home. I'm excited to be at our new home inspection, but super nervous for current home inspection...funny thing is the house is in great shape and well maintained, I'm just paranoid that something dumb is going to be found, the buyers will bail on their offer, and make this whole thing fall apart. Stupid anxiety! Wife keeps telling me if they find anything in the inspection it will be minor we can fix it, and she's right, but I still just want all this over with so we can move towards closing (currently on track for end of July).

Did any of you have weird anxiety issues with your closing process?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
big process was pretty simple this time around, i "guessed" that this family was rearing to go, the house was partially staged (meaning they really tried to make it look nice to get out) and my wife found moving boxes in the basement, but it was still kinda lived in (they gotta go).

before we bid on it, they lowered from 185 to 180, and my realtor said they were getting lots of traction, i told him it's bullshit, this property has been on the market since october, (they started out at 195). We came in at 175, and my realtor was bugging out and was talking to the other realtor (they're the same company) and the other guy was sure they'd get the full 180, i made a stipulation that they leave in 2weeks.

When they countered back with 180, and they could make the 2week move. I told my realtor we're walking away, fuck em, he asked if we wanted to do 177, i said no, we're a firm 175, these bitches are going to suffer.

Now at this point, MY REALTOR was saying that it's fair at 180, and while all our research and CMAs (and most likely the appraisal) will indicate it's a good buy at 180... fuck that, he's my realtor, he's supposed to get the best price for me, not what's fair, da fuq?

I had to tell him that these bitches have to get the fuck out, and we're the only ppl bailing these fucks out, it's 175 firm, or we'll just cancel and look for another house, it doesn't matter to us, we get free corporate housing at this point, we just wanted to close on a house before we fly out to Paris.

Again, this house at 180 is the most updated house on the block, it's actually a nice house, it's also the second biggest at 2700sq (not including the 1k sq/ft basement), the rest of the houses are fucking 1200sq/ft, da fuq my wife and i going to do with the second biggest house with no kids and no dog?

So, they said they can do the 175k, if we give them a month to move or 180k to move out in two weeks. All of a sudden my 2 week stipulation paid off (i didn't really care to move in that fast anyway, we're still going to have corporate housing), and for some reason the OTHER realtor was dumb enough to tell MY realtor that this guy is some flight school guy and he has to move out to ohio asap.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT INFO?, i was going to drop another 5k (b/c we're also a cash buyer, so we're an assured buy), but my wife would rather just give them the month and just call it a day at 175k, which is still a deal.

we'll sign the papers and do the inspection in two weeks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Where do you live? 2700sq ft at 175k is pretty crazy.

Congrats!
it'll be in topeka. we were actually looking at bidding 217 on a foreclosed house that would have been around 300k, but thats an even bigger property and neighborhood is made up of 60ish old white ppl. While we didn't mind taking on this project, i don't think we could have lived with all those old white ppl.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
big process was pretty simple this time around, i "guessed" that this family was rearing to go, the house was partially staged (meaning they really tried to make it look nice to get out) and my wife found moving boxes in the basement, but it was still kinda lived in (they gotta go).

before we bid on it, they lowered from 185 to 180, and my realtor said they were getting lots of traction, i told him it's bullshit, this property has been on the market since october, (they started out at 195). We came in at 175, and my realtor was bugging out and was talking to the other realtor (they're the same company) and the other guy was sure they'd get the full 180, i made a stipulation that they leave in 2weeks.

When they countered back with 180, and they could make the 2week move. I told my realtor we're walking away, fuck em, he asked if we wanted to do 177, i said no, we're a firm 175, these bitches are going to suffer.

Now at this point, MY REALTOR was saying that it's fair at 180, and while all our research and CMAs (and most likely the appraisal) will indicate it's a good buy at 180... fuck that, he's my realtor, he's supposed to get the best price for me, not what's fair, da fuq?

I had to tell him that these bitches have to get the fuck out, and we're the only ppl bailing these fucks out, it's 175 firm, or we'll just cancel and look for another house, it doesn't matter to us, we get free corporate housing at this point, we just wanted to close on a house before we fly out to Paris.

Again, this house at 180 is the most updated house on the block, it's actually a nice house, it's also the second biggest at 2700sq (not including the 1k sq/ft basement), the rest of the houses are fucking 1200sq/ft, da fuq my wife and i going to do with the second biggest house with no kids and no dog?

So, they said they can do the 175k, if we give them a month to move or 180k to move out in two weeks. All of a sudden my 2 week stipulation paid off (i didn't really care to move in that fast anyway, we're still going to have corporate housing), and for some reason the OTHER realtor was dumb enough to tell MY realtor that this guy is some flight school guy and he has to move out to ohio asap.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT INFO?, i was going to drop another 5k (b/c we're also a cash buyer, so we're an assured buy), but my wife would rather just give them the month and just call it a day at 175k, which is still a deal.

Congrats, having big balls and calling the bluff can pay off.

Pops

It's Actually A Dumb Idea To Buy The Best House On The Block

Us crazy old white guys know a thing or two.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
it'll be in topeka. we were actually looking at bidding 217 on a foreclosed house that would have been around 300k, but thats an even bigger property and neighborhood is made up of 60ish old white ppl. While we didn't mind taking on this project, i don't think we could have lived with all those old white ppl.
the fuck bro 1.8k sqft @ 525k harro bay area during the crash.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Bout to put my townhouse on the market and projected to make 2k...but I need to do about that much in repairs as well. So probably just going to break even when it's all said and done.

I was looking into the "custom" builders back home that have these huge houses sq. ft. wise and my parents drove by their neighborhood and took some pics and the shit looked awful. Literally looked like modern barns. We would like about 2000 sq. ft. for 200k or under but it's hard to find in the area we are going to without moving into something that's a little older. Can't really do much at the moment either because we gotta sell this place first. I guess we'll rent for a little while before we decide to buy again.

Have you guys had good experience with houses that are 11-12 years old once you moved in? Just a little concerned if we do go the buyers route that the AC might go out or something major might need to be repaired immediately.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're worried about a house that's only 11 years old? You serious dude?

My house was built in 1962 and that's not even really that old considering a lot of houses in CT are from the 1700 and 1800s

• 1Worf

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Probably my wife more so than me. But I don't know much as far as life of an air conditioning unit and other things that may need to be replaced soon after we move in is all. I lived in the same house for over 20 years with my parents and there weren't many things that ever needed replacing bu t I know the big ones that did were very expensive. Just trying to know what to expect, what kind of money to have on hand for such repairs is all.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably my wife more so than me. But I don't know much as far as life of an air conditioning unit and other things that may need to be replaced soon after we move in is all. I lived in the same house for over 20 years with my parents and there weren't many things that ever needed replacing bu t I know the big ones that did were very expensive. Just trying to know what to expect, what kind of money to have on hand for such repairs is all.

Our 5 year old rheem units fuck up way more than my 25 year old carrier did at my old place. There are no guarantees. You will likely have a home warranty for the first year though.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

My house was built in 1962 and that's not even really that old considering a lot of houses in CT are from the 1700 and 1800s
All those 200+yr old houses in Durham are made from quality materials

Vinen

God is dead

My house was built in ~1900. In better condition then a lot of houses built in the 50-80s. My realtor (as I mentioned earlier pretty much a family friend) more or less refuses to have us look at houses built in those years. Not sure if its just MA but the building materials/overall quality are shit for those years. She attributes it to the post war building boom.