Home buying thread

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I've been keeping an eye on the supply that is hitting the market since I still get the daily email blast from my Realtor. There's been a real dearth of properties hitting the market since the start of June, so the 'spring selling season' is likely slowing down.

With the supply drying up there's likely quite a few people who are in that same position of taking a second look at the stuff that was initially passed over. I saw a but of that towards the end of May, no sooner would I look at a place and consider setting up a showing and suddenly it was under Active Contingent.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
WTF one of the places that I can get a job in my field back in New England is Cambridge or Lexington. Bunch of faggots there?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
WTF one of the places that I can get a job in my field back in New England is Cambridge or Lexington. Bunch of faggots there?
Cambridge yes, absolutely. I mean, there are great jobs there, but it's in Boston and it's city living. It's very hipster-ish (Google there along with a ton of top tech companies) and shit - so if you can deal with that it's fine. Coming from outside the city I definitely didn't fit in. Lexington is like a suburb area that is just an extension.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wow, rejected our cash offer, real estate agent told me, he knows 1 party sat down with the builders last night.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
wow, rejected our cash offer, real estate agent told me, he knows 1 party sat down with the builders last night.
So don't have much experience with developers, but if the property is a large devopment, don't they usually have their own shifty mortgage people they generally want buyers to use?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
dunno, we just submitted and realtor tells me theres two other offers, he doesn't understand either, why two others out of the blue want the house.

i mean if we lose it, i'm not tied to it or emotionally attached, it was just nice and new.

This happened to my wife on a house that had been on the market for about 6 months in sc. She made higher offers until I told her no more, it was at that point they picked her because they liked her dog.

So fuck realtors.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So don't have much experience with developers, but if the property is a large devopment, don't they usually have their own shifty mortgage people they generally want buyers to use?
like a car dealership?

whelp our back plan is to have a list of 5 to checkout, they're all 20k less than what we initially wanted, but like ranging from 20 to 40years old. (we'd checked out 8 previously, liked only 3)

So far i've narred down the 5 to either
1. renovated by flippers
2. single owner (and they want to downsize)

But they're HUGE, holy crap the new construction was 2300sq/ft w/ the basement, most of these are 2600 in addition to 800sq/ft basement.

Last edited:

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Went through a pre-walkthrough closing yesterday and closed on my first property ever today. Feels a bit surreal, lots of shit to sign obviously. Sort of a surreal feeling also knowing you have a ball and chain for hopefully < 30 years. Onto the worst part, moving. This thread has helped with some of my questions along the way, so thank you for that.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I can tell how naive you are because you think moving is the worst part of owning a house.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
all the houses i'm looking at don't have that radon pipe installed, seems to only be 1k to install one, thoughts?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
all the houses i'm looking at don't have that radon pipe installed, seems to only be 1k to install one, thoughts?
Not sure on your area, but based on that and if you have a fully underground basement, you may need one. You can get a radon test along with your home inspection

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bees nests is by far the most random thing I've heard about home ownership lol.

It's ants, do you want ants? Because this is how you get ants.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not sure on your area, but based on that and if you have a fully underground basement, you may need one. You can get a radon test along with your home inspection
yea, we're def doing
1. appraisal
2. full house inspection
3. radon inspection

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
yea, we're def doing
1. appraisal
2. full house inspection
3. radon inspection

My inspector for around $400, tossed in a free radon test and was quite thorough with the property. My understanding was that the bank you finance through always gets an appraisal as it is (maybe not in full cash offers?). Either way, definitely worth getting all 3.