Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Isn't the cost of replacing pex infinitely cheaper than replacing copper though? Not trying to be a dick here, just curious. My house is copper
from what i've read about pex, is that it's flexible and strong and can run 1000ft, so you could just have one long line from your water/city inlet/manifold all the way to your second floor bathtub, w/o points of failure, since it's just one long ass tube.

instead of playing snake and bending and soldering copper pipes.

just rekeyed both locks, lol my luggage is gonna be weird when i fly there with two locks, a patio lock, drill, screw driver and a modem(i checked w/ cox for a compatible dcis3.0 one) and linksys ac1900. actually i should plug in the router and make sure it works

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Isn't the cost of replacing pex infinitely cheaper than replacing copper though? Not trying to be a dick here, just curious. My house is copper

Yeah, but the costs here aren't really the pipe materials when you're talking about pipes in walls.

So while pex may be fine and all indications are it is, you risk having some catastrophe where you have to replace your entire houses plumbing, after its built, because they find out it gives you pussy cancer when the water company uses too much chlorine and the house is over 78 degrees for longer than 86 hours, or because it gets brittle after 10 years of exposure to acetone fumes.

I just see a lot of shit go wrong that no one thinks about, so theres value in a known, and in this case i would say that value here probably a tight race with however much more it costs to do your house in copper.

Pops

no still on the appraisal, that it's really for the banks benefit and to secure that their money is being spent well?

You are paying cash, you just ran around and saw what the market had to offer. The bank wants protection the bad old days are gone, so they loan only up to a percentage. If the appraisal came in to too low, they would want the borrower to pony up more money.

Pops

Fucks sake!!!!!!!

3 days. 3 offers. All outbid. One real estate agent works for the same company as my realtor and says our bid wasn't even close to that accepted offer. I went 25K over asking! WTF is wrong with this market?

Yikes.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
What's the downside for using pex? Is it because plumbers make more money running copper?

On demand water heaters and nicer shower valves have problems with pex. The problem is that in copper and CPVC applications the 1/2" diameter pipe is always kept 1/2", all fittings go around the pipe, thus no restriction. With pex, the fitting goes inside the pipe, while the pipe is 1/2" inside diameter every fitting chokes it down to 3/8 or 1/4". With Grohe and other higher end shower valves this prevents any type of body spray or sometimes even the shower heads from working correctly. Also Bosch on demand water heaters will constantly slam and vibrate as the pump tries to supply water to your hot water fixtures.

Copper will always be king, but in my house I installed CPVC Flowguard gold and will always.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wow, somehow after months of zero bids or activity on the new construction we want, there are other bids just this week, ha. we asking for a bit of stuff (on that last page, whatever that term is called) so i think the only thing in our favor is our cash offer.

if we lose it, the only other option is another new construction, or we keep looking and goto some old 90s houses that seem either flipped(which i prefer) or renovated over time.

Some houses i see in pics, tell me alot of the story, like a house built in 85, and was a single owner, they decide to sell now, and they have have a wall of pictures of 3 fucking grown boys, tells me the kids are gone and they want to downsize.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't understand. Did you not put in an offer and get accepted? Was he just accepting bids for an extended time period? If so that's really lame.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't understand. Did you not put in an offer and get accepted? Was he just accepting bids for an extended time period? If so that's really lame.
dunno, we just submitted and realtor tells me theres two other offers, he doesn't understand either, why two others out of the blue want the house.

i mean if we lose it, i'm not tied to it or emotionally attached, it was just nice and new.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
dunno, we just submitted and realtor tells me theres two other offers, he doesn't understand either, why two others out of the blue want the house.

i mean if we lose it, i'm not tied to it or emotionally attached, it was just nice and new.

This shit always happens, i'm convinced it's enemy realtors (I consider your personal realtor not friendly and sellers realtor enemy) fucking around in order to get you to either up your bid and/or keep you steady like you have to get it now or you'll lose it and then after the inspection not ask for too much (cause other offers).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The builder could have had a contingent offer where the financing recently fell through so the backup offers are being looked at now and Lanx just submitted one during that phase

Vinen

God is dead
This shit always happens, i'm convinced it's enemy realtors (I consider your personal realtor not friendly and sellers realtor enemy) fucking around in order to get you to either up your bid and/or keep you steady like you have to get it now or you'll lose it and then after the inspection not ask for too much (cause other offers).

Glad that my realtor is a family friend and a friend of a bunch of our friends. She has more or less blocked us from submitting offers on homes.

It's weird.

Whenever we go out to a party in Cambridge its like ZOMG you guys are friends with Susan too? Nobody has ever had a negative thing to say about her.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know what that's supposed to mean because last I checked Hillary was the worst candidate and had the worst political showcase in the history of politics

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

Brahma. I see these other opinions. Here's mine. There is no inventory for sale. Market is very thin. By that I mean, nothing offered. You have a house xxx,xxx then you have a house xxx.xxx + 20,000. One maybe 2. The lowball ones attract buyers. The houses you linked , were all priced too low.

You want to buy what you like? Look for the over priced one, stale or not, watch that MLS like a hawk. Those homes you targeted sold below the stale/higher priced ones. So move the market. Pay up 10K, 20K, what ever You already offered +25K for the cheap ones. Take out the guy priced kinda high. Let them fight over the "good deal". You pay, an extra 20K over the last few comparable sales? You get what you want, hopefully.

Those other pent up buyers aren't going to find what they want and they will be coming for the next higher price point. Til supply shows up.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A house with a trump sign in the yard is like programming at a defense contractor, cheap and sloppy

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user