Home buying thread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't get it either. When I was young my parents started a business. They had a hell of a time finding a location even though there were many empty newly built shopping centers close by. My parents told me they checked in on them, and the people who owned them simply didn't want to rent the spaces out. Supposedly they only built them because they needed a tax write-off. I finally decided it must be something that fundamentally changes when you've got lots and lots of money. Richers gunna rich.

When you see stuff like this that doesn't make sense, it's not that it makes sense when you're making more money. It's that they are misreporting income and expenses.

My vietnamese cousins who have nail shops report a "loss" every year on their businesses, drive a mercedes S-class and their birthday parties for their kids include 5 bounce houses, clowns, and open bar for the parents. They get food stamps.

It doesn't make sense! How can they afford these things when they don't have income!

Because they're fucking lying.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When you see stuff like this that doesn't make sense, it's not that it makes sense when you're making more money. It's that they are misreporting income and expenses.

My vietnamese cousins who have nail shops report a "loss" every year on their businesses, drive a mercedes S-class and their birthday parties for their kids include 5 bounce houses, clowns, and open bar for the parents. They get food stamps.

It doesn't make sense! How can they afford these things when they don't have income!

Because they're fucking lying.

Yeah, I definitely thought that maybe these properties were part of something illegal, like a money laundering scheme. But i don't think about it too hard because I can't do anything about it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's not necessarily lying. I'm sure some (many?) of them are misreporting income. But there can be a lot of factors why people invest in real estate to their financial detriment. People see real estate as a safe place to store money as there is the impression hat it only ever goes up in value - which is largely true in metro areas. There's also a strong culture of home ownership in Australia - probably similar to the US, but very different from the attitude towards it in Asia for example.

But as was mentioned, it really is speculation. There is a lot of angst in the Australian real estate market for the last few years about how overheated it is, and the only people who are really benefiting from it are real estate agents. You can't make money from real estate in Sydney/ Melbourne, you can't get your money back, young families can't afford to buy property and are stuck renting or moving out into the middle of nowhere. Most of the property in expensive areas is owned by baby boomers who got in when houses cost $35k, and now they cost $2mil or more. Given all of the speculation in the market, all it would take is a 2.5-3% interest rate rise and there would be at least a small crash as the overleveraged investors have to dump their properties when they can't service the loans any more.

By some metrics Sydney is the second most expensive real estate market in the world (behind Hong Kong) and despite that there are 200,000 empty apartments/houses in the city. Primarily because of investors (mostly foreign/Chinese) who are bringing capital in and storing it in the safe real estate market. They don't even bother renting the properties out, it's just a safe place to store money.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Storing money in an overheated, yet somehow safe real estate market at a loss.... as opposed to what? A risky savings account? Legitimate cash does not have to be "parked" at a loss.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Shrug, I'm not here to say whether they're good investments or not, I'm just saying a lot of people do it for a lot of reasons. Again, 2/3 of Australian rental properties are operating at a loss. Do you really think so many Australian investors are stupid? Of course they're not. Some of them might be just be stupid risk takers but in general there are good reasons why they do this.

I personally know a Taiwanese investor who owns 2 $1mil apartments and an 800k term deposit. He thinks the term deposit is a waste and he should probably buy another apartment but he really wants to stay at least slightly diversified. But in the markets he bought in I think the term deposit is probably producing the best return. There's a mystique around real estate.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Shrug, I'm not here to say whether they're good investments or not, I'm just saying a lot of people do it for a lot of reasons. Again, 2/3 of Australian rental properties are operating at a loss. Do you really think so many Australian investors are stupid? Of course they're not. Some of them might be just be stupid risk takers but in general there are good reasons why they do this.

I personally know a Taiwanese investor who owns 2 $1mil apartments and an 800k term deposit. He thinks the term deposit is a waste and he should probably buy another apartment but he really wants to stay at least slightly diversified. But in the markets he bought in I think the term deposit is probably producing the best return. There's a mystique around real estate.

Maybe the australian IRS sucks and they can get away with it. If you think 2/3rds of the rental property owners are losing money but there are "good reasons!" then you're naive.

In what world does it make sense that the rental market is so far below the purchase market already, yet they are counting on appreciation in order to make money so they rent at a loss?

None of that makes sense. The numbers don't make sense.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Again, 2/3 of Australian rental properties are operating at a loss. Do you really think so many Australian investors are stupid?

No, what I think is that we're missing a big piece of the puzzle. Just from what you were saying, I'm going to guess that most of those 2/3 properties have been owned for a long long time and the only reason people are chalking it up as being 'rented at a loss' is because they could make a shit ton of money by selling, but want to keep the land.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Closing -- Lawyer's office or Registry of Deeds? I'm leaning towards the Registry of Deeds simply because there's been a couple of typographical oopses on the title paperwork already in the process and I'm having shit delivered the day after closing.**

** this was originally 4 days after closing which I did as a buffer in case the closing got moved which promptly got eaten up when the closing got moved.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Closing -- Lawyer's office or Registry of Deeds? I'm leaning towards the Registry of Deeds simply because there's been a couple of typographical oopses on the title paperwork already in the process and I'm having shit delivered the day after closing.**

** this was originally 4 days after closing which I did as a buffer in case the closing got moved which promptly got eaten up when the closing got moved.

That's really highly state dependent, in TX the closings are always at title companies.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Fair point. This is in Massachusetts which, as a non-state, already has many quirks all its own like registered versus unregistered land etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I closed at the title office in ks, also realtor says in ks, no one uses a lawyer for homes.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Law-wrangler is required in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I grew up in the midwest and while I was aware of the distinctive difference between there and the gothamite land of NYC I did not fully appreciate the fundamental different nature of government in New England. This is, afterall, the 'nation' whose conservative republicans created Obamacare (then known as Romneycare). As much as America has become homogenized thanks to Wal-Mart and its ilk, there still exists some elementary differences that makes my head spin.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Just thought about locks (closing soon) and remembered the discussion from a dozen or two pages back. Does anyone have an experience with / opinions on Smart Locks? Was considering that as an option to simplify things when having house guests / etc.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this qualifies as a smart lock, but we have a deadbolt with a keypad and give our house sitters temporary codes instead of keys.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I think anything other than purely mechanical deadbolt / latch counts as a smart lock. Definitely want something that has a mechanical component as the last thing you want is getting locked out of the house after the EMPs start bursting overhead (or like an ice storm)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
DO NOT GET, the kwickset brand of smartlocks. Their inherent physical lock is easily overcome by a screwdriver and a strong turn (it's the design, they use plastic wafers). If you want smart locks get the schlage brand, I'll give more info if you want later on

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
a couple i know had their friends (who are architects) design their house. They built it and it's a few years old now --

and it has water damage all over the fucking place and they just had a structural engineer come in and tell them it need a major remodel.

i sense some future strain in that relationship.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
DO NOT GET, the kwickset brand of smartlocks. Their inherent physical lock is easily overcome by a screwdriver and a strong turn (it's the design, they use plastic wafers). If you want smart locks get the schlage brand, I'll give more info if you want later on
Learned something new today...