Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, kwickset is ONLY, good for landlords that want to rekey their properties easily, but is shit for the home owner.

Don't bother with any deadbolt under 35bucks, hell I just changed out the houses kwickset, and replaced with a schlage, and it's almost twice as heavy. Mind you, schlage isn't super awesome, however they are the best sub-100$ locks, like a multlock mt5 or medeco m3, which are around 150$ or less. (I'm augmenting with Jimmy roof multlock)

Get a schlage and you'll be fine, cuz I can guarantee your neighbor has a piece of shit kwickset, and the theives would rather go there instead.

My entire cul de sac is using kwickset besides me, fucking Christ.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why do you know this?
cuz i met all my neighbors and made it a point to check out each lock on the door, and kwickset locks are easiest to tell cuz of the fucking kwickset rekey hole
980-15-DB-Large.png

plus i also know the style so i looked at em enough i can tell from afar.

am i thief? no, i want to know that i have more security than my neighbors, b/c a thief will always goto the house of least resistance.

are you as a theif going to go after the house with security system w/ grade 1 mul t locks? (which usually means it's also structurally reinforced so forced entry/kicking in is not an option) or you going to go after the next house with the piece of shit 15$ kwickset deadbolt?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Still seems pretty creepy.

I'm assuming you're getting other prominent displays of security too? ADT or whatever? A loud noisy dog? Flood lights?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
am i thief? no, i want to know that i have more security than my neighbors, b/c a thief will always goto the house of least resistance.

are you as a theif going to go after the house with security system w/ grade 1 mul t locks? (which usually means it's also structurally reinforced so forced entry/kicking in is not an option) or you going to go after the next house with the piece of shit 15$ kwickset deadbolt?

It could also be perceived as having something of value to hide. And if a thief is that determined to get inside, the lock is the least of your concerns. They are simply going to break a window.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
It could also be perceived as having something of value to hide. And if a thief is that determined to get inside, the lock is the least of your concerns. They are simply going to break a window.
Most thieves go for the path of least resistance though. They'll pass on breaking a window if someone else's door opens with no fuss. I think I read somewhere that houses without fences are even less likely to be robbed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Still seems pretty creepy.

I'm assuming you're getting other prominent displays of security too? ADT or whatever? A loud noisy dog? Flood lights?
no flood lights, no one else has em, so i won't, the owner previously had ADT, so i'm just using his signs and keeping the box active and in constant disarmed mode (so when neighbors come over, they'll think it's still active)

dog? eventually.

And how will they magic 8 ball the value?, they're not gonna go find a needle in a haystack, it'll be the quick grab, going for the living room and grabbing every console, seeing if laptops are sitting on the coffee/dining table, going to the office and grabbing the laptop, opening the first drawer and stuffing it in a bag or a pillow case (b/c the first drawer will most likely have important stuff like passports, checkbooks, etc), running to the master bedroom and looking for the jewelry box, toss the closet, and leave.

thieves don't dig for treasure looking for shit,.

it's all about layers, also next week i'm putting security film on my windows so no smash and grab.

Of course it's an upper middle class cul du sac and no one has ever been robbed in years from what i've been told. (and on the crime websites too)

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How retarded do you have to be to think renting is a better option past your mid 20s? Not only that but fuck apartment living.

Ever heard of Warren Buffet? He says owning a home was one of his worst investments and renting would have been the smarter choice.

Location, income, circumstance; they all play in. Every person here making general and blanket statements (ironic I am too, lul) should understand that not all things are equal.

Vinen

God is dead
Offer accepted on a house in Somerville, MA. Will see how this plays out. Inspection isn't until 9/1 due to scheduled work travel (We asked for a 75 day closing). Not in the exact location I'd like but its a rather unique single family Victorian. Street has a shit load of trees for Somerville.

Managed to get a 3.75% loan...

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Ever heard of Warren Buffet? He says owning a home was one of his worst investments and renting would have been the smarter choice.

Location, income, circumstance; they all play in. Every person here making general and blanket statements (ironic I am too, lul) should understand that not all things are equal.

You're going to have to provide a link because I have a hard time believing that. I know Warren Buffet drives an old beat up truck, and he lives in a very modest home. But he has a big investment in real estate. Berkshire Hathaway is vested in a bunch of real estate brokerages. Certainly he wouldn't do that if he felt real estate was a bad investment.

Now, for the average Joe, home ownership may be a poor investment, usually because people put too much of their net worth in a home, and the appreciation on their home will never outperform the stock market had they bothered to put the money in stocks instead of a home. On that I can agree on. If you are poor, middle income, or struggling with savings, then renting may be a better option for you than buying.

However, real estate is, imo, one of the best investments you can make if you have a lot of disposable income. It's like double dipping. Not only do you own property that appreciates in value (in good markets at least, like in Los Angeles where I live), but you also charge rent to cover expenses and make a profit. Own enough properties and it becomes a vehicle for retirement. Own even more properties and you become a tycoon like Trump or Hilton. There are a lot of multi-millionaires out there who do nothing but own properties. Of course, real estate shouldn't be your sole investment, your portfolio should be diversified into other vehicles as well, but me personally I like real estate more than any other investment. Maybe it's because I live in California where housing prices are just crazy and I'm making a killing off of my rentals, I understand that doesn't fly in like 99% of the rest of the country outside of big cities.

Vinen

God is dead
Most important part of home ownership is the tax deduction. Really helps when you are paying 39.6% tax on a few hundred k.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The part I hate about house shopping in MA is to be in a top tier school district you're looking at 600k-1M dollar homes. Which I can afford btw.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
The part I hate about house shopping in MA is to be in a top tier school district you're looking at 600k-1M dollar homes. Which I can afford btw.

The school system at my current house is better than the one we are buying. My son is just going to go to private school.

Fuck dealing with town schools systems.