Home buying thread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Is it crazy to consider networking as a reason to move into an exclusive neighborhood?

and edit -- holy shit all those houses are pending that we listed in MA. That's crazy to me.

Not at all, I have a ridiculous network of rich people due to living where I live, and I wouldn't know any of them if I didn't live here. It is a very valuable resource depending on what your job is and how much a social go-getter you are.

Vinen

God is dead
Market is insane in greater Boston.

No shit. Dropping way to much on a house in Somerville. Wanted a single-family that had enough room for my in-laws to be separated when they visit. Found one that met our needs well enough.

Decided we didn't like Lexington, Newton (well we liked one section of the town but no inventory of the style we wanted) and Winchester. Too suburb.

Will just plan on sending our son to private school although Somerville is improving year over year so public may be an option as well 4 or 5 years down the line. SUP GENTRIFICATION;.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I just moved out of Somerville (was living with a good buddy of mine the last few years). I really wanted to stay in the 'ville but there was just no freaking way I could justify paying that much for a place. I also have to think that Somerville has to be reaching a property value plateau since the cost per square foot is getting really up there.

My buddy is actually thinking of selling within the next year or so because he bought into Somerville right as the gentrification wave hit and the property has doubled in value in 5 years. If he uproots and moves right ahead of the wavefront again he could really clean up.

Been in house a week now and already rebuilt part of the deck which I am now powerwashing (which is genuinely fun) and ripped up the carpet in the bedrooms. This weekend will start the painting process, put down new hardwood in 2 weeks and then rip up the carpet in the lower level to start building the theater out. Going to work now feels like a holiday, when I'm at home I keep hearing nagging voices pointing out stuff that needs doing.

Fun factoid -- a certified plumber / pipefitter is required to install a gas stove in MA. Home Depot happily took my money for an install job and yet arrived saying "oh this a GAS stove? Yeah we can't install that" despite having called 3x asking if it was a gas stove so they could make sure to have the right personnel on hand.

Last edited:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not at all, I have a ridiculous network of rich people due to living where I live, and I wouldn't know any of them if I didn't live here. It is a very valuable resource depending on what your job is and how much a social go-getter you are.

Floated idea to wife and got 0 interest in moving. Reasonable but boring.

Tight 2 car garage is starting to grind my gears

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Build a carport and turn the garage into a workshop.

I never thought about the networking thing, but I am glad I live in a neighborhood with an electrician, a plumber, 2 general contractors, and various other people who work with their hands. I feel guilty going to them for help too much, but it's nice when an emergency happens and you don't know who to call. When the shit hits the fan, I think I'll try to keep most of them around.

Most of them. The jury is still out on the satanic incestuous meth cooking cult next door. We'll have to see if anyone else is as good at fixing cars. If they also cook moonshine that'll just about insure they get to stay.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I just moved out of Somerville (was living with a good buddy of mine the last few years). I really wanted to stay in the 'ville but there was just no freaking way I could justify paying that much for a place. I also have to think that Somerville has to be reaching a property value plateau since the cost per square foot is getting really up there.

My buddy is actually thinking of selling within the next year or so because he bought into Somerville right as the gentrification wave hit and the property has doubled in value in 5 years. If he uproots and moves right ahead of the wavefront again he could really clean up.

Been in house a week now and already rebuilt part of the deck which I am now powerwashing (which is genuinely fun) and ripped up the carpet in the bedrooms. This weekend will start the painting process, put down new hardwood in 2 weeks and then rip up the carpet in the lower level to start building the theater out. Going to work now feels like a holiday, when I'm at home I keep hearing nagging voices pointing out stuff that needs doing.

Fun factoid -- a certified plumber / pipefitter is required to install a gas stove in MA. Home Depot happily took my money for an install job and yet arrived saying "oh this a GAS stove? Yeah we can't install that" despite having called 3x asking if it was a gas stove so they could make sure to have the right personnel on hand.

Jesus, it's to bad there's not a reputable, well known, Massachusetts union plumber on this site.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't think there's anybody reputable on this site at all. Maybe a couple of you were when you started posting.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We all know you'd go over there and tell him what a piece of shit everything he has is, make a bet, renege, then threaten to fight him

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead

Somerville prices are still rising. Take a look at Cambridge.
Green line is coming sometime in 2173 so that should help the prices too. (station will be < 10 minute walk from the house)

Just did the inspection of the house this morning. Have some more negotiating to do but nothing jumped out as end of the world. Will be negotiating as there are some repairs which are required.

House is a single-family on a one-way street (which nobody in their right mind would use as a cutthrough). ~4,000 sqft
We will be moving out of Arlington but haven't decided if we will sell or rent.

Siliconemelons

I miss Jerle. Baseball bats motherfucker

I wonder what the cartoon would look like if done nowdays with our current community members ;-)

In other silly zillow news - after last month adjusting their entire formula (at least in my area) my zestimate dropped 40k, but in the last month I now am UP 11k from the new baseline! lol this is stupid.

Vinen

God is dead
Zillow is fucking retarded

This.

They need to be in an area with a high amount of sales to have any degree of accuracy. I find that Zillow is a good ballpark for a houses value IF and only IF the house is in "move-in" condition.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
We all know you'd go over there and tell him what a piece of shit everything he has is, make a bet, renege, then threaten to fight him
Shit I didn't notice who wrote that. I shoulda responded with

*reputable

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Finally got around to fully reinforcing my doors.
Main door had none standard lockset, so I just placed the Jimmy prooflock in between
PHOTO_20170904_195501.jpg

Even then, I plan to replace the top most lock (schlage deadbolt), with a schlage wifi lock. The hinges and strike plate are all secured with 3in screws, so that they're attached to to stud, not just the door jamb, it's impossible to kick in the door.

The other two doors are secured the same as well
Garage entry door
PHOTO_20170904_195541.jpg

And my sunroom door
PHOTO_20170904_195624.jpg

These two doors actually have a beefed up strike plate
PHOTO_20170905_073150.jpg

You'll also notice that the sunroom door is locked from the inside (can't smash window to open lock), for the deadbolt, this is called a double cylinder lock, as in two keyed locks both inside and out. ( A regular deadbolt with the thumb turn on the inside is called a single cylinder lock, btw).

Once I find a local multlock dealer, I'll replace the cylinders in the Jimmy proof locks, I want them keyed the same.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Forgot how much I hate negotiating post inspection. Supposed to sign a P&S by EOD tomorrow.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just want this overwith.