Home buying thread

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Feeling glad I bought last month

Here's how the end of 2017 looked - closed on our house purchase Dec 20th - then spent 2 days moving all the boxes, trinkets, bullshit myself (hired some guys to move the big pieces)... Never again. Not sure if it was being cheap, or retarded or both (probably both), but that was fucking dumb. We closed on our sale on the 22nd, and on the way to the title company I got so nauseous/exhausted I had to pull over to dry heave for 15 minutes. It was a fucking mess. The VA loan appraised though, and it appraised at the highest sale price per sq ft in the neighborhoods history - kinda glad I was the appraisal, and also kinda glad he was from out of town. In the end, it all went off pretty smoothly but was a lot of stress during the moving/closing.

New house has a pool and hot tub - it's record cold in OKC this week and temps are below 10 degrees..... woke up this morning to the pool a sheet of ice, but the jets still circulating. Seems like that's okay, but not sure.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its been a long while since I had a pool but I thought you needed to winterize it every year? I thought they put something in the jet lines like antifreeze basically.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Its been a long while since I had a pool but I thought you needed to winterize it every year? I thought they put something in the jet lines like antifreeze basically.

Ya that's what most people (aka everyone) in really cold climates seem to do - N Texas/OKC area where you get maybe a handful of below freezing days it's common to keep the pool "open" and not winterize it. Plus I don't have a pool cover - I'm just concerned because it's been unbelievably cold here for 3/4 days in a row. Maybe I'll turn the pool heater on after work.... =/

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
FINALLY got my new home yesterday. Craftsman style house. I got the worst house on the street in a cute little neighborhood.

The house I bought needs to be gutted. It was an old couple that owned it and the wife died. Old man couldn't afford it any longer, nor take care of it.

Both bathrooms, kitchen, deck will be replaced. 60 amps needs to go to 200. Floors minus one bedroom, need to be done over. New chimney lining and a couple bricks need replacing. Outside, the garage in great shape minus one side (will just paint whole thing) needs a new painting. House has those old asbestos shingles we have here in New England, but are in great shape physically, though it needs painting. They enclosed the porch, which is a mess aesthetically as far as whoever did the work, BUT it's solid. I will open it back up in a year or so depending on my cash flow.

The windows are new minus the enclosed porch...The interior windows off the porch are a beautiful stained glass.

This took me almost 6 months to purchase. I went with a rehab 203K loan, and it was HARD pushing thru this process. Take your typical mortgage process and multiply it by 10. I have never seen so much detail in anything as far as paper work and checks on everything goes. Everyone one doing any work needed to be vetted and approved. It was nuts. I lost two electricians thru the vetting. My general contractor bailed on me once until I BEGGED him to do the contract.

Overall it will be worth it for one reason. I will have about 75k in equity when the work is complete. They were selling the house for 300K to start. After it sitting on the market for 9 months it got down to 210k! I offered 180k. He took 200k. My total owed to the bank will be 270K. Appraised at 290k as is. After the work is complete they gave an estimated value of 345k! Yeah doggy!!

Day one...Couple next door has driveway and a fence on my property. Runs about 3 feet the entire length of my house. I mean Christ the driveway takes an angle toward their property or it would hit my mud room in the back. My lawyer says make them rip it up now, or they will own it. This will not be a great start to being neighborly.

Anyway...I'm excited.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man did you guys ever worry over your neighbor selling their house?, a house which is about equal to what i have, on the same block has been on the market for 4 months. It still looks "90s"ish like this
IS2nayf5five081000000000.jpg

so it hasn't been updated.

I've basically talked w/ my wife and we're not gonna bother w/ a few upgrades. I wanted new windows, but since we don't open windows anyway (pollen) they're always closed so i'm just gonna leave the winterized wrap on.

and i'm just gonna focus on upkeep, what i really see happening is probably the company would buy the house from us in a few years when we move again.

Vinen

God is dead
This is why I avoid living in irrelevant areas of the country. if I house can't be sold in < 1 month I don't want to live there. (Noting average home sales in towns around me is way below that)

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is why I avoid living in irrelevant areas of the country. if I house can't be sold in < 1 month I don't want to live there. (Noting average home sales in towns around me is way below that)
this was our biggest concern as well, we live in topeka, ks, which is the state capital but it looks like dog shit, but we're 12mins from work. all the young kids live in the city over (by KSU), and properties move fast there, however the catch is, you get half the house for the same price, and it'd be a 35min drive one way, 50 if you want to be cheap and save the toll.

since we knew we had the protection of the company buy back, we were fine w/ it and just didn't go for a crazy expensive house, (but still in the upper middle class, good schol zone)since it'd end up not being sellable.

half the house is just storage atm anyway lol.

i just helped a guy pick up furniture, he came in from hitler land and got an apt at the city over for 1400. da fuq you need to pay 1400 in bum fuck kansas? it's not even that nice.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, just put my condo up for sale again on Sunday. There is very limited # of places for sale right now, so I am getting some showings this time around. With any luck I will have this place under contract in the next week or two, and be able to move to a smaller and cheaper place and pay off my current debt in the process. Feels good, man. First showing in 1 hour. Cleaners coming today to scrub the shit out of everything. Electrician next week. Everything is already packed away so the place looks good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You need to pay off debt, and you hired cleaners? I don't understand that. Why not do the cleaning yourself and save that money?

• 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You need to pay off debt, and you hired cleaners? I don't understand that. Why not do the cleaning yourself and save that money?
cleaning pro lady will get that place looking nice, so that when an upity buyer bitch doesn't comment on the streak of dust or whatever upity bitches complain about.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, but cleaning doesn't require an advanced degree. buy some supplies, clean your place real good. It's not rocket science.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Paying the debt off isn't a need, just a nicety. If I don't sell it will be all paid off in 3 years either way. And I never learned the House Cleaning skill. Ever.

The pro cleaners earned the shit out of their money, too. This place is cleaner than it was when I moved in. They scrubbed *EVERYTHING*.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
A good cleaning service can work miracles in a fraction of the time it would take many people to make things look barely passable. I suspect some combination of skill, industrial cancer causing solvents, and magic.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Paying the debt off isn't a need, just a nicety. If I don't sell it will be all paid off in 3 years either way. And I never learned the House Cleaning skill. Ever.

The pro cleaners earned the shit out of their money, too. This place is cleaner than it was when I moved in. They scrubbed *EVERYTHING*.

Did you pay for the happy ending?

• 1Picard

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A good cleaning service can work miracles in a fraction of the time it would take many people to make things look barely passable. I suspect some combination of skill, industrial cancer causing solvents, and magic.

When I bought my house I had a team of 5 professional cleaners here for 3 days at a cost of several thousand dollars.

My asian in-laws came and spent a day here and made more difference.