Home buying thread

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah, lot rentals go up year over year and don't cover shit. Got an offer I plan to accept on my place. Already got the next place planned. Going to look at it Sunday and make an offer. If I get 5.25% on my mortgage there I will cut my monthly mortgage/insurance/how/taxes by 300 a month. And I will get another 400 a month by having my mom and dad paid off. After that I will get another 175 back by paying off my remaining school loans. Then 401k and maybe buy a new mini cooper next year.

Mini Cooper eww

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Mini Cooper eww

Small cars are the best. My first car was a Geo Metro. Then a Ford Focus. Then Saturns were cheap a fuck for a few leases. Got my 2007 Beetle in 2010 . Been paid off for 3 years. But it is getting long in the tooth. So may as well get another car type I really really like. Will probably go for a used one again. One with bluetooth and a rear view camera are my only real requirements. Well, maybe automatic.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey man you do you.

One of the best perks is when people want to carpool. "Well my car can fit maybe one if you aren't too tall."

Grats on the offer. Hope things work out!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hey man you do you.

One of the best perks is when people want to carpool. "Well my car can fit maybe one if you aren't too tall."

Grats on the offer. Hope things work out!

That has never come up. Ever. Even when I had my saturns. But a mini cooper has plenty of room for 2 people. It's like the beetle if you go over that, though. "Do you need that spine?"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My first car was a Chevette. I put about a million miles on it. I've had a lot of cars since, but my next car will be new, and will be a Ford Ranger, four door, long box.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got my contract signed. 1 month to make get my place ready. Looking at 2 places Sunday. Will be making an immediate offer on the one I like best. I am preapproved up to 250 np.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Massive fights have ensued over nearly every place the wife and I are even sorta interested in. Lol... this shit is insane. Looking at houses, in this market, is literally one of the worst things I can ever think of doing.

And realtors that setup search parameters for their clients and just email them lists of houses are scum bags. Especially when they then think they are owed all that commission for doing jack and shit.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Use a buyers agent. Contractually obligated to work in your best interest unlike conventional realtor. Ours saved us big just on getting us to do mehm testing and mainline camera. First house was positive for meth we bailed on and were aware of a gap in our mainline that could be a problem some day and got us a concession.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Uhh what? A "buyer's agent" is a "conventional" realtor. Sounds like you got sold a bridge.

And meth testing? Shit bro where the hell do you live?

Last edited:

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uhh what? A "buyer's agent" is a "conventional" realtor. Sounds like you got sold a bridge.

And meth testing? Shit bro where the hell do you live?

No, by default real estate agents represent the seller. Specifying that you want the agent to act as a 'buyer's agent' means you will pay them commission even if they find a no commission home.

The reason your real estate agent shows you shit homes the first few weeks you are looking to buy, is because those are the homes they are contracted as the selling agent. If you buy one of those homes, they get the full 6% commission and don't have to split it. Once you refuse all those shit homes, that is when they start showing you what you really want based on your criteria. Those are less desirable for them because they split the commission with the listing agent and at best it's 50/50, but it's usually 33/67.

Khane

EDIT: Hrmm I guess I never knew there were agencies that exclusively represented buyers. I just figured they were all worthless shitheads who just put random search criteria into the MLS system to send you emails you don't even care about forcing you to track down properties on your own. The dual agents can't even screw people over right!

Last edited:

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
No, by default real estate agents represent the seller. Specifying that you want the agent to act as a 'buyer's agent' means you will pay them commission even if they find a no commission home.

The reason your real estate agent shows you shit homes the first few weeks you are looking to buy, is because those are the homes they are contracted as the selling agent. If you buy one of those homes, they get the full 6% commission and don't have to split it. Once you refuse all those shit homes, that is when they start showing you what you really want based on your criteria. Those are less desirable for them because they split the commission with the listing agent and at best it's 50/50, but it's usually 33/67.

Any agent that represents the buyer is the buyer's agent. If your agent is trying to show you their own listings and double dipping to help themselves, then you need a new agent. It's called dual agency and it's only legal in certain states.
What Is Dual Agency? (And Why You Should Beware) — Real Estate 101 — Trulia Blog

Khane

The idea that they are even called anything but "realtor" is foreign to me and that may just be because I "grew up" so to speak in a housing market where Zillow and Redfin exist. A buyer has an agent, a seller has an agent, they aren't going to be the same unless both parties agree to it and there is no possible way to hide that fact. In about 2 seconds I can go onto one of a dozen websites and see who is representing the seller and what company they work for to see if there is any sort of conflict of interest.

Myself and everyone I know had similar experiences to Crone. The realtor was essentially nothing more than a glorified doorman. They did nothing to help us find prospective properties, nothing to help us determine if there were any kinds of issues with the property, nothing in any facet other than to open the damn door and collect their commission (which is typically paid by the seller). So the idea that I would need to try harder to find a realtor that wouldn't be stealthily pushing certain properties on me is... crazy. My realtor didn't present a single, solitary property to me!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My seller had a tiered % on the selling thing that would have had me pay 1.4% less if I bought one of his listings. When I told him my requirements he said they had none and has been emailing me stuff. I have him for buyer's agent because you do want someone in your corner who is at least slightly more knowledgeable than you on the legalities and getting a thorough inspector and all that. His emails were useless and I found the places I want on zillow, but I knew about all that from doing this 3.5 years ago.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Your lawyer is in your corner. Realtors don't know jack shit and the only corner they are in is their own.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my realtor (to buy) was beyond worthless, we almost got rid of him, even tho that woulda caused company issues (it was a relocation package, company paid for it all). I basically found the homes we liked, the ones he listed off the MLS just seemed like shit he plugged into the MLS database.

the homes he did find me, were some 1970s shit, i'm talking wood paneling and mirrored walls.

the first house we bid on, the seller (it was new construction) declined us, which in retrospect was cool in the end, and we learned how it worked by failing.

Another house we found, the one we wanted, was on the market for months at 200k, then it just dropped to 185 when we first looked and a month later it dropped to 180k.

i was the one that pushed for 175k, cuz why not, i knew they wanted to sell. he was totally against it and thought they'd reject us, but he'd "try".

they came back w/ some counter and i stayed w/ 175k, then i'm asking about radon and home inspections and shit, and he's like you "could do that stuff", jesus christ, what he did HAVE, was good contacts, the guys he got to do the radon and home inspection were A+ guys, realtor was shit.

In a few years we'll move from shithole Kansas and it's gonna be a relocation package and a provided realtor i'm sure.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I lucked out. Realtor we used was a coworker who was just bored since all his kids are in college and the house we bought had my wife's family friend's realestate agency selling it. Oh and I worked at the Pentagon at the time so, so we got a sweet mortgage through PenFed

Also Lanx Lanx the realtor probably just assumed you like ugly shit, being asian and all

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I lucked out. Realtor we used was a coworker who was just bored since all his kids are in college and the house we bought had my wife's family friend realestate agency selling it. Oh and I worked at the Pentagon at the tine so, so we got a sweet mortgage through PenFed

Also Lanx Lanx the realtor probably just assumed you like ugly shit, being asian and all
naw, literally showing me homes like this
ISmel0lfk086pf1000000000.jpg

ISmuxo8pb2h3220000000000.jpg

and thats being generous