Home buying thread

Fucker

Log Wizard
Awesome day working at property. Until I discovered a bee nest mowing, or I should say they discovered me before I discovered them. Can't wait to build, but far more excited for the homesteading than I am the house.

Just been working to clear the poison hemlock from everywhere I can so need my tractor which have ordered but telling me it could be months to get it.

View attachment 360908

This shot shows about 1/3 of the property.
FTFY

IMG-5191.jpg

• 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is now a good or bad time to buy?
Who knows?

Mostly depends on inflation.

One of the reasons I'd say yes is because if interest rates rise, and they likely will sooner than the Fed wants, you can afford less house. So as a buyer, it might be good to lock that in.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Is now a good or bad time to buy?

Buy what where how?

Primary residence? Secondary residence? Rental units? Same state or to another state? Upgrade or downgrade? Cash or credit? From a hot RE market to a cold one? From a cold expensive one to a hot much less expensive area?

Are you buying on credit or cash? Do you have to sell your current domicile to get into another one? How good is your credit if financing?

We aren't in a RE bubble right now because lenders are sticking to their guns on lending standards for the most part. RE is exploding all over the US because massive numbers of people are fleeing the west coast for better living conditions, and they are bringing with them MONEY.

A 30-something guy stopped by today to get some furniture I had listed. Just moved here from California. He and his wife had a $1million dollar shitbox in California and they bought a nice place here for a lot less and the QOL is much better. Sure the RE market here is dead nuts crazy, but compared to California? This place is Eden.

Further, it's not a bubble because there are a LOT of people on the west coast who want better for themselves. The prices are rising and will stay that way until this planet gets hit by a comet.

As for myself and my GF and my mom and my GF's sister? Fuck yes, it is a good time to buy where we are moving to. Home prices are on the descent because home buying season is over, and they are still very reasonable. I'm certain it is going to be the next hotspot for the next RE bounce because all the liveable decent places out west are getting filled up, and quickly.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Now is a terrible time to buy in most of the country.
Depends on where you are moving from and where you are moving to. It's a great time to buy where I am moving to because the house prices are still quite reasonable. My GF and her family are moving there also. As an example, my GF's sister is going to nab $400k for her house. 1100 sqft. She paid $70k-ish for it. She can afford a 3k+ sqft house in a great neighborhood and has the option to pay cash if she has to. She's mid-20's. QOL will be better because less people...slightly better climate. It's a nicer looking state on that end, too. Better restaurants and lots more supermarkets. Generally, more things to do, too.

Also, it will be the next place to bounce in RE prices in a few years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
30-something guy stopped by today to get some furniture I had listed. Just moved here from California. He and his wife had a $1million dollar shitbox in California and they bought a nice place here for a lot less and the QOL is much better. Sure the RE market here is dead nuts crazy, but compared to California? This place is Eden
Since i drive a subbie i recognize any subbie on the road, every subbie, mine include are all out of state plates
Ca
Wa
Co

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Awesome day working at property. Until I discovered a bee nest mowing, or I should say they discovered me before I discovered them. Can't wait to build, but far more excited for the homesteading than I am the house.

Just been working to clear the poison hemlock from everywhere I can so need my tractor which have ordered but telling me it could be months to get it.

View attachment 360908

This shot shows about 1/3 of the property.
This is Colorado right?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Semi-rant/vent. As some know, I am from Florida and after 50 years there moved to Long Island NY for various reasons (mainly the insanely good public schools for my daughter and a business opportunity that worked out well). I have been looking for a non-luxury condo back in Fl near/on the beach for us to use 4-5 times a year. I want to stress we are only going to use 4-5 times a year for vacations when our daughter is out of school. I was initially looking in the Melbourne area since I like it but couldn't find a place I liked in the price I want to pay (paying cash at least initially). Started checking the west coast and found a 2/2 around New Port Ritchie with a private beach club (the association owns a private beach on the Gulf) asking under 100k. I show it to her:

Me: 2/2 with a membership in a private beach club.
Her: but its almost 2 miles to the beach.
Me: but it has a private beach and so what if its two miles away.
Her: Its like a half hour from Tampa. Its in the middle of nowhere.
Me: Exactly. Its a beach community but close to a big city.
Her: I want someplace where we can walk to restaurants, bars, shops and the beach and stuff. Like Delray Beach (she used to live in Delray).
Me: Something in those areas run about a million plus and we are only looking to use it for a few weeks out of the year.
Her: <blink>
Her: Well, I dont like that one you showed me.

This is why bodies get buried in back yards.

Tell my wife to get out of your wife’s body.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I'm not super happy with our current buyer's agent. We probably fucked up by being a walk in instead of specifically requesting an agent, but she's really new at this and it's a side gig for her so I just don't think she's particularly suited to it yet (or will ever be).

We've had to do most of the work finding houses and she's failed to get us into viewings several times (whether that's her fault or not I don't know).

With that background, we found a house that was listed in Zillow last night and texted her as soon as it popped up. For some reason MLS hasn't sent us a notification about it, not sure why. Anyway, she said she'd be unable to show it to us today since she has family in town. I asked if anyone else in her office was able to and no luck (she did ask though). She also said it probably doesn't matter since "I know that an offer being put in today won't even be processed or accepted until Tuesday because banks and everything will be closed for the Fourth of July." I'm thinking she's confused, because if we were closing that'd likely be true, but I don't know why anything being closed would impact accepting an offer.

Anyway, we really like this house and I wanted to ask FoH about whether I should be upset in this particular circumstance. I know as a recent seller we'd likely wait until the weekend was over anyway to accept an offer, but if we had two at an equal price I'd likely go with whichever was first. Which is why I'm a bit annoyed. But maybe I'm being overly sensitive and it doesn't actually matter as much as I think it does.
So yeah, we felt locked in until we figured out what happened with this house (putting in an offer means we're kind of stuck with her). We went to see it this morning and really, really liked it. Met her there at 9:30, and despite asking her to be prepared for us to make an offer, she had nothing prepared. She texted us at about 11:30 saying that apparently there were offers higher than we were going to, also waiving contingencies. And apparently they were taking offers until noon today.

She asked us if we wanted to proceed and I said fuck it, why not, at least we'd be a backup. Then she says well, she can't get an offer put together in 30 minutes. So I just said forget it.

We were already going to fire her after this house anyway, but now it feels super justified. Not only has she not found us a single house, the ones we've found on our own she's only shown us half of (she even said today that one of them was "mean," and I'm sitting here thinking, bitch, what do you think your job is here exactly?). And then this one that I found, insisted we look at yesterday, she completely bungles.

Worse, while we at the house with her, she said she'd text the listing agent to say we'd put in an offer, but she wasn't going to do the paperwork until Tuesday because "it's a holiday weekend and everything is closed." The second time she's said that. I think she's just retarded. On what planet does it being a weekend mean you can't put an offer in? Banks don't process offers ya cunt!

Finally, afterwards, she texted us with, "I cannot understand why sellers want offers in less than a 48 hour window of listing. It's getting a bit frustrating." Exact words.

So yeah, it feels good to be done with her, but I feel like we wasted 3 weeks. I should trust my gut and when I Googled her and saw she got her license in March, found someone else. I didn't need to waste 3 weeks to learn she was dumb.

Just figured I'd dear diary this is case anyone was wondering how it went.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So yeah, we felt locked in until we figured out what happened with this house (putting in an offer means we're kind of stuck with her). We went to see it this morning and really, really liked it. Met her there at 9:30, and despite asking her to be prepared for us to make an offer, she had nothing prepared. She texted us at about 11:30 saying that apparently there were offers higher than we were going to, also waiving contingencies. And apparently they were taking offers until noon today.

She asked us if we wanted to proceed and I said fuck it, why not, at least we'd be a backup. Then she says well, she can't get an offer put together in 30 minutes. So I just said forget it.

We were already going to fire her after this house anyway, but now it feels super justified. Not only has she not found us a single house, the ones we've found on our own she's only shown us half of (she even said today that one of them was "mean," and I'm sitting here thinking, bitch, what do you think your job is here exactly?). And then this one that I found, insisted we look at yesterday, she completely bungles.

Worse, while we at the house with her, she said she'd text the listing agent to say we'd put in an offer, but she wasn't going to do the paperwork until Tuesday because "it's a holiday weekend and everything is closed." The second time she's said that. I think she's just retarded. On what planet does it being a weekend mean you can't put an offer in? Banks don't process offers ya cunt!

Finally, afterwards, she texted us with, "I cannot understand why sellers want offers in less than a 48 hour window of listing. It's getting a bit frustrating." Exact words.

So yeah, it feels good to be done with her, but I feel like we wasted 3 weeks. I should trust my gut and when I Googled her and saw she got her license in March, found someone else. I didn't need to waste 3 weeks to learn she was dumb.

Just figured I'd dear diary this is case anyone was wondering how it went.
She diesnt understand that asking for offers within 48 hours of listing is to create scarcity?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's pretty easy to get a real estate license and it's possible to make a lot of money selling houses so some people think that taking the classes and taking the test is actually what makes you able to sell houses. I've heard as many as 80% of new real estate agents fail in their first year, often without selling a single house.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Real estate agents are as useless as recruiters. Dumb coked out morons looking for a handout.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users