Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I did that with CenturyLink. They pissed me off when cancelled the service so I sent them a check for $1 over to get a refund back.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
house i'm selling

radon passed
termite passed
(i don't know when i saw it but i've been putting this around the permimeter of the house every summer, and i just did the same with the house i just bought, and plan to keep it up)
0a03919074b25b13c2df1aa7a27469b1.png

HD doesn't sell it, lowes does, amazon does too, i got a subscription
inspection passed, came back as the perfect, well kept house, i don't need to do anything, i fixed every issue my 2017 inspector noted and treated it as a punch list.

now this guy just gotta get approved for his va loan.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
house i'm selling

radon passed
termite passed
(i don't know when i saw it but i've been putting this around the permimeter of the house every summer, and i just did the same with the house i just bought, and plan to keep it up)
0a03919074b25b13c2df1aa7a27469b1.png

HD doesn't sell it, lowes does, amazon does too, i got a subscription
inspection passed, came back as the perfect, well kept house, i don't need to do anything, i fixed every issue my 2017 inspector noted and treated it as a punch list.

now this guy just gotta get approved for his va loan.

That works, also there's this stuff. You mix one ounce to one gallon of water, and pour one gallon of solution per 10 ft of perimeter of your house once a year. I use it and love it. Found this after I had to rebuild 80% of the studs in my detatched garage due to carpenter ants.. and fuck them.

In the neighborhood where Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I live we have apparently gone beyond "buy and flip" houses. Now it's "Buy, raze it to the ground, and build a whole new McMansion" time. Driving to get groceries today I see a new house which is one of these, and having an open house. I decide to take a look for shits and giggles. Here we literally have a house that has, I shit you not, a shower for your dog next to the door to the back yard....
1627157887213.png

• 2WTF
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That works, also there's this stuff. You mix one ounce to one gallon of water, and pour one gallon of solution per 10 ft of perimeter of your house once a year. I use it and love it. Found this after I had to rebuild 80% of the studs in my detatched garage due to carpenter ants.. and fuck them.

In the neighborhood where Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I live we have apparently gone beyond "buy and flip" houses. Now it's "Buy, raze it to the ground, and build a whole new McMansion" time. Driving to get groceries today I see a new house which is one of these, and having an open house. I decide to take a look for shits and giggles. Here we literally have a house that has, I shit you not, a shower for your dog next to the door to the back yard....
View attachment 363838
If people are just now getting into the buy it/raze it/build mcmansion phase you are way behind the curve. Shit has been going in in places I lived for decades.

ps.. I love the dog shower thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If people are just now getting into the buy it/raze it/build mcmansion phase you are way behind the curve. Shit has been going in in places I lived for decades.

ps.. I love the dog shower thing.
Same house also had a "Dog Bedroom" next to that under the staircase....
1627158795762.png

4bd/4ba big lot, I'm sure they barely want a mil for it One and a half mil for it.... c'mon, here's your Texas/Florida house sir! And it's still inside Dallas proper so your wife can keep feeling comfortably Democrat. ;)

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Same house also had a "Dog Bedroom" next to that under the staircase....
View attachment 363839

4bd/4ba big lot, I'm sure they barely want a mil for it One and a half mil for it.... c'mon, here's your Texas/Florida house sir! And it's still inside Dallas proper so your wife can keep feeling comfortably Democrat. ;)
Fuck the doggie bedroom, my shepherd sleeps at the foot of my bed every night, guarding his master.

It started a few decades back in S Fl. Most of the old art deco houses near the beach in Broward had large lots but small little 2 bedroom cottages sitting on these monster lots. Investors came in to grab the land. They trashed the cottage and built multi-million dollar McMansions "5 minutes from the ocean". They built these fuckers right up to max they could to the property lines. Went from massive yards front and back to almost zero lot line houses. Fucking sad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

View attachment 363838
i went w/ the bayer granuals pour b/c it is the easiest way, i saw taurus sc too but the youtubes say you have to dig a trench all around in order for it to work effectively.

i see this home has old bait stations too, imma gonna dig them up, cuz
1. they look ugly
2. theyre annoying to step on

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What is "homebuyer confidence?"

Anyway, seems like good news for me. I really wanted to be in the closing process by now, but since we aren't, maybe we won't have to pay as much.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
What is "homebuyer confidence?"

Anyway, seems like good news for me. I really wanted to be in the closing process by now, but since we aren't, maybe we won't have to pay as much.
New build prices from may to July in Orlando went full on retard. Houses which were starting in 460s are in a weeks time now asking 700k.

A house we passed on because they fucked around on the price by raising it 60k in 1 month. We turned down.

6 other buyers walked and now they are stuck with the price but came back to us offering 80k free in upgrades.

Fuck these greedy aasholes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I've been seeing houses sit for a long time. Also a couple that we went to see and thought were overpriced that got pulled from the market completely.

I think a lot of people got super greedy, and I'm glad people are telling them to get fucked.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Spent the last few weeks searching for a possible landing spot back in FL if Cuomo decides to make the jab mandatory for kids to go back to school. Target zone is central-ish FL (im done with S Fla). I like the population and growth of the Orlando metro area. Looking at high schools and housing that is within an hour to Orlando proper it appears that N/NE of Orlando and the Melbourne-ish area seem the top prospects. The school demographics are the most "compatible" to what I am looking for. I am thinking an arc from Sanford/Oviedo/UCF and also the Space Coast. Anyone got experience in this area?

1627324889183.png

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I've been seeing houses sit for a long time. Also a couple that we went to see and thought were overpriced that got pulled from the market completely.

I think a lot of people got super greedy, and I'm glad people are telling them to get fucked.
Well, there's greed and there's not knowing where the market is. Greed is setting an unrealistic price and refusing to drop the price in light of the obvious. I set a high price on this house because only the market knows its value. I'll keep dropping the price until people start lining up to buy it. Houses at this end of the market aren't selling instantly anymore, but they are selling, but at realistic prices.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I called my real estate broker who is also a friend and told her that while I am not actively looking to sell right now, keep it as a pocket listing in case some buyer is desperate and willing to insanely overpay. She laughed and asked for a price. I told her 2x the price I paid 4 years ago. She replied "let me go through my active list of clients and get back to you". Clown world.

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Spent the last few weeks searching for a possible landing spot back in FL if Cuomo decides to make the jab mandatory for kids to go back to school. Target zone is central-ish FL (im done with S Fla). I like the population and growth of the Orlando metro area. Looking at high schools and housing that is within an hour to Orlando proper it appears that N/NE of Orlando and the Melbourne-ish area seem the top prospects. The school demographics are the most "compatible" to what I am looking for. I am thinking an arc from Sanford/Oviedo/UCF and also the Space Coast. Anyone got experience in this area?

View attachment 364100
not to familiar with that side of 4. i live in the windemere area/winter garden. winter park, maitland and altamonte springs are outside your circle, and all suck. i dont want to dox myself, so i wont share my agent on here. but just do a search in the orlando area and you should be able to find her.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I mentioned previously that we had been looking at new construction. It was super bizarre, the new construction (at least from this one company) was selling at basically the same or even slightly less than 20-30 year old homes. So we'd look at a re-sale home and just be like, "this is stupid, let's just wait for a new construction."

They were operating on a "hold" system. Where a property was basically claimed prior to breaking ground. Apparently there was zero commitment to doing this, too. I don't understand it at all. We had been waiting for either a hold to be released, or for the next chunk of lots to open up for holds.

Anyway, we went to see a house on Friday and told our realtor that we were still waiting for a new construction, but were wondering if we could talk to the builder's sales rep and see what options they had available (and maybe plead our case to get into one sooner). She called us later that day and said they had actually just this week changed how they were doing it. They were going to lift all the holds and give everyone who had one an opportunity to give their highest and best offer on them (I think they have 4 square footage sizes they're selling). They're doing this with 10 houses that holds were already released on. After that, they'll put all new houses on MLS. Our realtor pulled some strings and got them to include us with the other holds (I think because she basically told them we'd been passing on all kinds of houses because we wanted one of theirs)

They're doing 2 at a time (so they're not inundated with offers), and the first two went today. We got an email from our agent because the square footage we wanted was one of them. It was a bit of sticker shock because they had a "list price" and it was about 12% higher than the most recently sold one (which is unfortunately back in March). So it looks like getting an awesome deal is out the window. I mentioned before that our realtor is awesome and pulls things like insurance for every property, and it's like 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost of these resales (which is something Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes kept telling me to lookout for). So even though it's now kind of blown our budget, in the end I think it evens out due to things like being more energy efficient, lower insurance, and delayed maintenance.

So we put an offer in at asking price. We threw in an escalation that takes it from $198/sqft to $210/sqft, $60k down, and 4x the earnest money they require (I should also mention in the "too good to be true" column that they required a ridiculously low earnest money deposit, and cover most of the closing costs if you use a preferred lender; read: local lender).

There were 6 holds on the same square footage plan that potentially had holds. Meaning at worst we should see 7 offers. Since most of these holds date back to last fall I think, it's entirely possible several will have already dropped out because they've found other houses (and as mentioned, the hold had literally zero commitment; no money down, no obligation, nothing), and maybe some that see the new asking price and nope out.

Offers have to be in by tomorrow evening, so we'll hopefully know by Wednesday. It's also damn near finished (we drove over to see it, and it's finished drywall and has counters, so likely just flooring, fixtures, paving the driveway, and finishes is all that's left). I mentioned in the 'rona thread that my employer was requiring the vaccine by mid-September, so this would work out perfect timing wise. I'd hopefully be able to just tell them to shove the vaccine up their asses if we get a mortgage by then.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I called my real estate broker who is also a friend and told her that while I am not actively looking to sell right now, keep it as a pocket listing in case some buyer is desperate and willing to insanely overpay. She laughed and asked for a price. I told her 2x the price I paid 4 years ago. She replied "let me go through my active list of clients and get back to you". Clown world.
Shits on fire. I have no free time at the office at all.

Dave Chappelle Im Rich Bitch GIF

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My wife wants to stay here unti my kid is done with school. Is Cuomo requires the stab for kids that will be my escape route to bail early.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I mentioned previously that we had been looking at new construction. It was super bizarre, the new construction (at least from this one company) was selling at basically the same or even slightly less than 20-30 year old homes. So we'd look at a re-sale home and just be like, "this is stupid, let's just wait for a new construction."

They were operating on a "hold" system. Where a property was basically claimed prior to breaking ground. Apparently there was zero commitment to doing this, too. I don't understand it at all. We had been waiting for either a hold to be released, or for the next chunk of lots to open up for holds.

Anyway, we went to see a house on Friday and told our realtor that we were still waiting for a new construction, but were wondering if we could talk to the builder's sales rep and see what options they had available (and maybe plead our case to get into one sooner). She called us later that day and said they had actually just this week changed how they were doing it. They were going to lift all the holds and give everyone who had one an opportunity to give their highest and best offer on them (I think they have 4 square footage sizes they're selling). They're doing this with 10 houses that holds were already released on. After that, they'll put all new houses on MLS. Our realtor pulled some strings and got them to include us with the other holds (I think because she basically told them we'd been passing on all kinds of houses because we wanted one of theirs)

They're doing 2 at a time (so they're not inundated with offers), and the first two went today. We got an email from our agent because the square footage we wanted was one of them. It was a bit of sticker shock because they had a "list price" and it was about 12% higher than the most recently sold one (which is unfortunately back in March). So it looks like getting an awesome deal is out the window. I mentioned before that our realtor is awesome and pulls things like insurance for every property, and it's like 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost of these resales (which is something Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes kept telling me to lookout for). So even though it's now kind of blown our budget, in the end I think it evens out due to things like being more energy efficient, lower insurance, and delayed maintenance.

So we put an offer in at asking price. We threw in an escalation that takes it from $198/sqft to $210/sqft, $60k down, and 4x the earnest money they require (I should also mention in the "too good to be true" column that they required a ridiculously low earnest money deposit, and cover most of the closing costs if you use a preferred lender; read: local lender).

There were 6 holds on the same square footage plan that potentially had holds. Meaning at worst we should see 7 offers. Since most of these holds date back to last fall I think, it's entirely possible several will have already dropped out because they've found other houses (and as mentioned, the hold had literally zero commitment; no money down, no obligation, nothing), and maybe some that see the new asking price and nope out.

Offers have to be in by tomorrow evening, so we'll hopefully know by Wednesday. It's also damn near finished (we drove over to see it, and it's finished drywall and has counters, so likely just flooring, fixtures, paving the driveway, and finishes is all that's left). I mentioned in the 'rona thread that my employer was requiring the vaccine by mid-September, so this would work out perfect timing wise. I'd hopefully be able to just tell them to shove the vaccine up their asses if we get a mortgage by then.
Yeah, all the new constructions have radically altered their sales strategies in the past year. The house I bought in February was like this.

This place sells one street at a time basically and always in blocks of 10 to deal with the Austin rules. In Austin, an investor can only purchase 1 out of 10 houses under some kind of restriction. I don't know the exact specifics of it. So every place bundles up 10 properties, sells one to an investor to drive up the price of the others then opens the floodgates to plebs like us. We offered $19k over asking and in order to secure the contract you had to pay that $19k + $1k earnest on the spot if they accepted your offer. If you back out they keep it all. I was honestly kind of surprised they took that offer considering all the horror stories of $100k+ over asking happening all over Austin right now.

Then they wait a little while and do the next 10 houses. Meanwhile all the other constructions in the area we were looking are doing similar things. Which is why that the house we bought is now up $90k since February and they only just now started building it.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 363838

I am installing one of those in my Garage form my sweet pup, gonna be stainless and fucking awesome. Will double as a shop sink !

1627426319297.png