Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So is there anything to look out for with new construction? My wife decided to google the builder (mostly to look up the HOA), and now she's spooked. But I'm guessing most of that is just "people who have problems will complain, and people who are happy will be quiet."

Like, I definitely have concerns with new builds because I feel like labor is pretty shit, but that's likely not going to be any different than 20 years ago. Ditto with using cheaper materials to save money, I have no clue whether that 1986 home did too, but it's more readily apparent in new construction when someone complains.
Last house I had built by a developer I cruised passed it every night on the way home from work. Talked to foreman a few times and mention I was in Construction. It definitely helped in terms of "attentiveness" to my particular home and making sure no corners were cut. Seeing you there regularly inspecting inspecting work won't hurt.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Last house I had built by a developer I cruised passed it every night on the way home from work. Talked to foreman a few times and mention I was in Construction. It definitely helped in terms of "attentiveness" to my particular home and making sure no corners were cut. Seeing you there regularly inspecting inspecting work won't hurt.
That's kind of what I figured I'd do. It'll have an inspection, so I'm not concerned too much. But I figured going by every couple days would be good just for the simple fact that I would know where all the plumbing/drain lines are, and electrical lines, and if things like insulation look like shit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's kind of what I figured I'd do. It'll have an inspection, so I'm not concerned too much. But I figured going by every couple days would be good just for the simple fact that I would know where all the plumbing/drain lines are, and electrical lines, and if things like insulation look like shit.
#1 thing I found that I paid dividends was drywall getting some mildew on it after a long as period of rain. I promise you every other house they just painted over that shit. I told him to replace those drywall panels or I call my lawyer and the TV stations. I got new drywall sections.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
No electricity or improvements besides water is a plus.
Not sure what you mean by this, a well already dug? Or just likely to have a successful well?

As far as what you want its certainly out there but it's quite expensive. Properties that have no access to electric do sell for less if you are willing to do a completely independent system.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure what you mean by this, a well already dug? Or just likely to have a successful well?

As far as what you want its certainly out there but it's quite expensive. Properties that have no access to electric do sell for less if you are willing to do a completely independent system.
I would prefer no access to electric, as far as water either way is fine.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So is there anything to look out for with new construction? My wife decided to google the builder (mostly to look up the HOA), and now she's spooked. But I'm guessing most of that is just "people who have problems will complain, and people who are happy will be quiet."

Like, I definitely have concerns with new builds because I feel like labor is pretty shit, but that's likely not going to be any different than 20 years ago. Ditto with using cheaper materials to save money, I have no clue whether that 1986 home did too, but it's more readily apparent in new construction when someone complains.
If I were building a new house today, I would hire one of the expert witnesses I use in construction cases (mech engineer/architect specializes in construction litigation) to supervise, have them stop by once a week for inspections and punch lists at every phase. It'd probably cost $5-10k in the end for the inspections/reports but it'd be worth it depending on the cost of the house and your sensitivity to errors. Most houses are going to be "fine" but really depends how badly you want it to be "perfect" and how much fuck-ups are going to bother you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Take pictures of everything before the walls are up. Also you can add your own wiring (ethernet, speakers, whatever) before the walls are up and it takes like 20 minutes. I went and ran 5 redundant cat 6 cables from each room to the computer closet in my in-laws new house in no time, if you get house wiring people to do it costs thousands. When you can just zip tie them to the studs it's a joke that any idiot can do.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Take pictures of everything before the walls are up. Also you can add your own wiring (ethernet, speakers, whatever) before the walls are up and it takes like 20 minutes. I went and ran 5 redundant cat 6 cables from each room to the computer closet in my in-laws new house in no time, if you get house wiring people to do it costs thousands. When you can just zip tie them to the studs it's a joke that any idiot can do.
This. Pre-wiring your house before the walls are up is straight money.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
This. Pre-wiring your house before the walls are up is straight money.
That's if they will let you. And sometimes they rip that stuff out and you are out $ since it wasnt builder approved. Just make sure you buy your construction manager beer!

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I were building a new house today, I would hire one of the expert witnesses I use in construction cases (mech engineer/architect specializes in construction litigation) to supervise, have them stop by once a week for inspections and punch lists at every phase. It'd probably cost $5-10k in the end for the inspections/reports but it'd be worth it depending on the cost of the house and your sensitivity to errors. Most houses are going to be "fine" but really depends how badly you want it to be "perfect" and how much fuck-ups are going to bother you.
I guess that's where I don't really know what the worry is. The worst I can imagine is curvy corners of drywall (happened in our last house). But am I incorrect in assuming they do an inspection on the drain lines for leaks, and a four point inspection on the other major systems? Seems like that's going to cover anything major.

Outside of that, it'd just be cosmetic.

Is there something else I should be on the lookout for? This is all hypothetical, since we haven't even decided if we'll go new construction. It's just for the price, it seems kind of a no brainer (they're currently selling for maybe 5-10% more, but the comparable resales are in serious need of updating. And the floorplan is vastly superior).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I guess that's where I don't really know what the worry is. The worst I can imagine is curvy corners of drywall (happened in our last house). But am I incorrect in assuming they do an inspection on the drain lines for leaks, and a four point inspection on the other major systems? Seems like that's going to cover anything major.

Outside of that, it'd just be cosmetic.

Is there something else I should be on the lookout for? This is all hypothetical, since we haven't even decided if we'll go new construction. It's just for the price, it seems kind of a no brainer (they're currently selling for maybe 5-10% more, but the comparable resales are in serious need of updating).
Foundation, framing, roofing, MEP... a good expert can make sure the illegal alien crews that do work for big builders are doing things right.

If your plumbing is shitty you will regret it for the rest of the time you own the house... it's impossible to fix once the walls/foundation are up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The builder I used told me to walk through the house before the drywall was up and take pictures of every room so I'd know where everything was located. Take pictures of the electrical panel and plumbing manifold.

I still refer to those pictures when doing a project in a room.

• 2Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Curious. What does one use 5 redundant cat 6 cables/room for?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
consoles and computers can easily take up 4 in a room

5 is good b/c you can run 5 cat6 cables +1 coax cable through a 6 hole keystone plate
598fa06ec492860397448d0a44caf3d0.png

• 2Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>

You can do a lot more than networking over a cat6 drop. I know places that use them for HDMI long hauls for instance. In one house I had I used Cat 5 cabling dropped for surround sound speakers.... admittedly that was a bit ghetto.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Hmm, I just run a google wifi or 1 cat 6 to a ubiq switch. Never thought about hdmi/sound/whatnot.Thank you for the lesson you scholars and gentlemen, I will henceforth put more cat 6 when we build our next home.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, I just run a google wifi or 1 cat 6 to a ubiq switch. Never thought about hdmi/sound/whatnot.Thank you for the lesson you scholars and gentlemen, I will henceforth put more cat 6 when we build our next home.
Cables also go bad over time and depending on how long the run is in your house and how your walls are done it might not be practical to replace. So you can have some backups.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
my previous home i had at least 3 cat5e to each room, this new house i'll have the same (master bedroom will have more cuz we spend more time there) but i'll go for cat6 now, right now i just have wires draped all over my ceiling and on the sides of the wall hoping i don't trip over me, heh.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So this last March was the 2 years anniversary of the discharge of my bankruptcy (brought on by a divorce). My credit score was in the lower 500's after it was all said and done and I spent two years getting it high enough to the point where I could buy a home with no co-signer. For two years I busted my butt and was so stressed and obsessed with doing everything I could to raise my score and sure enough, come March I had to achieve my goal and was approved.

For two months I made offers 40k above the asking price and was shot down on all of them. Soon my excitement became anxious and even more stressed as I struggled to find a place. Finally, someone I knew was selling and said they would sell to me for a fair market price (based on pre-crazy levels), he was true to his word and I've been living in it for a month now. I'm not sure I've ever felt more accomplished as I did when I got that approval. It's nice providing a home for my family and having a place where my dogs can run free in the huge fenced-in backyard. so far I've done some landscaping to the front yard and I plan on building a patio in the back yard at some point, if not this summer, then in the spring.

Feels good man. Feels real damn good.

• 21Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 21 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
cox has been such assholes since i've used them in topeka, i'm gonna demand they send me a check
92a02d5300fe7696a6834d419a06dfc6.png

(yes i prepaid in advance before my move, cuz i know they're assholes and would try to charge late fees)

• 1Solidarity